AuthorMessage
Diarmaid
Commoner
Diarmaid

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Butcher

Effective grammar checkers Empty
PostSubject: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 7:46 pm

I suck so much at writing it's incredible! I even manage to mess up my main language. I even failed a college remedial course. Rolling Eyes For the language I was raised with and speak everyday. Mad I have to use English everyday, for personal and occupational reasons, although mostly written, but I doubt it's better than my mother tongue. *chuckle*

I do have spellcheckers on my software, including my browser, but that only help for the worse mistakes. I've just did a small search and installed a couple grammar checkers with AOO (Apache OpenOffice) in mind, although I have LibreOffice on a VM (Virtual Machine). Well I stumbled on AOO Lingucomponent Project, especially Sub-Project: Grammar Checking. I've installed After the Deadline and LanguageTool, which provided very little help ; I wasn't so sure about the latter but the former seemed very promising, although After the Deadline is a bit dated as it's for AOO 3.2.1 (currently 3.4.1).

I know there's very good writers in your groups but I don't have your capacities. Please help me become a bit better at RPing ; story-telling isn't only about the story.
Back to top Go down
http://renaissancekingdoms.wikia.com/wiki/Diarmaid
Bekah
Noble
Bekah

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Makes me think of the old joke

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice"

*insert canned laughter*

If you want to improve your skills, then practice them. Start a RP and we will join in with you (at least I will). I'm not sure if I will be any help with grammar because English grammar is sometime a bit backwards to me, but maybe we can improve together? There are some great storytellers on this forum so why not try it?
Back to top Go down
Diarmaid
Commoner
Diarmaid

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm doing a RP and I think it's not bad so far. The issue with your suggestion is that no one point them to me, and I understand that it's an extra burden that most people could do without. I wish it was a wiki so anyone could correct any mistake as they read the RP, which is easier than the latter. Well they can't and I don't want my language issues to mess the RP. Neutral

I was even more bored than usual, which I add a post to it, so I started doing DynV-proofreading. pale I found many mistakes. Often I can't see my own mistake and I know it's a very common phenomena. So I'd like to get *insert topic* meanwhile because of *OP last words*.

s/on one point/no one point/

Last edited by Diarmaid on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm

I am actually pretty self-conscious about my grammar. I didn't pay attention in class when they taught us the basic rules. I honestly cannot recite a single grammatical rule. I think I make do ok because I LOVE to read- have ever since I was a child.
So that would be my suggestion (on top of Bekah's very astute recommendation of- practice, practice practice!- read voraciously. Notice what you are reading and why it sounds good. If the story flows, notice it. And conversely, when something just doesn't read right--recognize why. It is probably because the grammar is off.

A tip I learned in Modern Theatre in college is to read your writing out-loud. Sometimes your ears can pick up a bad sentence where your eyes cannot.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing/joining an RP!
Back to top Go down
Diarmaid
Commoner
Diarmaid

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for the reading aloud tip TPB Toastini.

Can anyone help me find automated help? The point of the topic was to help me find "Effective grammar checkers", which is a software category.
Back to top Go down
ahlia
Knight
ahlia

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Well for starters, stop using your verbs in singular form. You have no sense of tense. Learn that.
Back to top Go down
Diarmaid
Commoner
Diarmaid

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 pm

verb whatchamacallit?

I need an effective grammar checkers software.
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Hmm, I've yet to find any good grammar checker's myself unfortunately. Typically I've used a few translator's just off the net to help when I'm in different countries on RK. The best help I ever get is usually with patient people in the taverns Smile You know you could always ask me for help too!
Back to top Go down
Bekah
Noble
Bekah

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 am

http://www.languagetool.org/

http://graviax.sourceforge.net/

and you have already mentioned AtD. These tools can help as far as I am aware, but there is no substitute for learning it yourself, these can just highlight areas where you may have made an error.

If I come across any more, I will post them here.
Back to top Go down
ahlia
Knight
ahlia

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 am

There's always primary school. You can repeat.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 am

Im not that good at grammar either, but i dont notice any glaring problem with yours Diarmaid.

Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
Diarmaid
Commoner
Diarmaid

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 am

I also mentioned language tool, which I installed on AOO, although the online version was a little bit better, and the only thing it highlighted was the The, from:
Quote :
Just as he's been doing for the past weeks, Diarmaid went to the The League of Shadows to see comrade-in-arms or perhaps future ones. He'd go there with a light heart and hoped for pleasant exchanges, but he knew nothing would develop in such place ; he was not prone to friendship, a single time he made a friend and it was rather imposed on him, but that was now over.

Today, as usual there was laughter and ind words. Often there were jokes or banter. Diarmaid made a joke and mention his past spirituality ; something that was now excluded from his life.

The last war Diarmaid participated in impacted his psyche. He used to be different, he'd see war as a last recourse, as a duty he had to do, he was frightful but determined. He found ecstasy in the battles, simply marching toward battlefields was enjoyable.

Trying to be as truthful as possible, Diarmaid could not attend church any longer. Death in this place is rather seen as he did in his past life. He now longed for death and revered instanced in honorable combat. Although he respected his comrades and did not wish them harm.

Coming home, the thought of reintegrating spirituality in his life appealed more to him. He went to sleep wondering if there existed songs, books or perhaps even practitioners of some war-oriented religion.
Well! It seems Graviax does about the same:
Quote :
\Desktop\graviax_0.05>graviax ..\Preparing_for_fate-1.txt
< 1>Just as he's been doing for the past weeks, Diarmaid went to the The Leag
ue of Shadows to see comrade-in-arms or perhaps future ones.
Just as he's been doing for the past weeks, Diarmaid went to the League of Shado
ws to see comrade-in-arms or perhaps future ones.

Although I'm not good at fixing such language errors, it's better than waiting a week or more to re-read them, to realize them ; with the highlighting, I could work on them right away.

I realize practice is the cornerstone of learning, which is the cornerstone of skillfulness, but my aim for now is to be sufficiently readable so that people don't ask themselves what word I meant.

Thanks for your suggestions TPB Bekah. I hope you used those tools yourself, that you didn't do this just for me ; I assumed some of you used such software.

Worse case, I can put an edit log at the beginning of my RPs. *sigh* TPB Trinity, or any of you reading this, now that you know of my intentions, I think if you wanted to help me you'd send me your pointers or suggestions as you saw errors in my posts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Effective grammar checkers   Effective grammar checkers Empty

Back to top Go down

Effective grammar checkers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All your Nachos are belong to us! :: General :: Off Topic-
Jump to: