AuthorMessage
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Whiskey Distiller

Boris' DDO blog thread. Empty
PostSubject: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 3:52 pm

Why not?

I get about an hour a day to play DDO, and I find the IG chat a little limiting. There are things I find out every day that help, and things that happen every day that annoy me. There are people I would like to thank, and people who annoy me. There are questions I would like to ask, and some stuff that I really don't care about.

Most of all, I'd like to open a dialogue, so if I post stuff in this thread, will you read it every now and again, and maybe answer a question or two, or at leat callme a noob, or a twat, or something.

So to start. First of all, a big big thanks to Anto, the boss.

For this forum, which so rocks in many ways, and the NNGO guild, which also rocks. I would like to give you the nod for the effort, man, and to say thanks. Appreciated.

Thanks also to people who put things into the chest for us noobs to winkle through. Big cures are particularly helpful, as they make soloing easier, particularly for squishies. A healthy stock of cures is more time in a dungeon, and a better pocket mate than just a cleric.

Thanks to the guys who let me tag along to get easy xp, and better loot than I ever see with soloing. It's fun plus, really.

I got lots more that I want to say, but I shall leave that as a start.

I'm going to log on now, in fact. Borissa made level six today, and Beth gave her a wazzy fireboost weapon, so I am dying to see how well her new fireball spell fries kobolds in the waterworks. Wish me luck.
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 11:10 am

Luck!
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Well, it fried Kobolds real good, but it worked a lot better against the undead in the Level 4 spookfest I played last night. Can't remember the title offhand, but it's in house P, and you get it from the old bird in the tavern. Nasty bit in the middle where there is a gate that's real hard to open, but a hint from Zog put me on the right track. Super disgusted at the lack of a final chest, but a rather nice dagger as a reward chilled me out a bit.

Do the PTP adventures get the best loot?

Quite glad that I constructed the sorc with a weapon ability and some strength bonuses. Makes it a lot less of a risk when soloing. The pure good scimmy was lethal against the undead when they got past my pocket favoured soul. Very pleased to have finished such a challenge soloing with a sorc.

Finished off the night chasing the 2k xp for slayer in the Waterworks, but came up short by about 15 kobbers. I'll get them tonight.

Wasted another 15 minutes of sleep trying yet again to buy services from Turbine. I can't understand why they won't take my money. The problem is with my billing address. Bristol isn't in a county anymore, and they insist on having a city and a county in the required fields. When I tried to submit just one...well, I shan't bore you, but I still haven't had a proper response to my e-mail yet.

I'm going to try getting a subscription mobile to use Paymo. Heavens, I just want to give them money. Why so hard?
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 pm

do you have a gamestop? they sell turbine point cards...

maybe list bristol as its own county? idk
Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
Bellz
Knight
Bellz

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: Baker

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 12:58 pm

I use paypal for mine, would that work Boris?
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Glad those scimitars are working out for you Wink
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 8:10 pm

anto_capone wrote:
do you have a gamestop? they sell turbine point cards...

maybe list bristol as its own county? idk

Gamestop don't sell them in Ireland Sad
Back to top Go down
Edrahil
Commoner
Edrahil

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Boris wrote:
Heavens, I just want to give them money. Why so hard?

You know, being from Argentina I find myself in that situation quite often. Even with a Visa card I still get some sites that wont let me choose my country, and wont accept the payment because obviously, whatever they did let me pick didnt match the card information. I just stare at the screen in frustration while yelling "please just take my money already!!!"
Back to top Go down
Tod_Whitesnow
Squire
Tod_Whitesnow

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Yes I use paypay

Keep up the Blog Bories I was thinking of a similar thing.

Tod
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Well, to Iron out a few points:

PayPal was my first option, but it told me that it could not process the transaction because Turbine had no record of the billing address. That was when I tried to register a card, which is something I prefer not to do. I only have two cards. A Visa debit card, with which I have been internet shopping for years, and a Black Amex card for extreme emergencies which I NEVER use on the internet. I never had a problem like this using PayPal before. I used PP to buy all the RK tokens I ever bought. Never once had a problem. I used PayPal on Sunday to order Christmas gifts, some of which are being shipped from the USA. Again, no problem.

I have tried three different ways now to enter my information into the online form, and I think I have triggered their automatic fraud protection system. Ho Hum.

We don't have Gamestop in England. We have Game and Gamestation. Both have stands of gift cards, but neither support turbine games. You can get RuneScape, farmville, and Mafia Wars, but the staff in both of the Bristol branches had never heard of DDO. Hohum again. I expect they will in time.

This leaves me with two options. Get a mobile phone (I use PAYG at the moment, but I might have to succumb to pressure and get a Blackberry) and try PayMo, or register the Amex, and risk putting the details of a card with no credit limit (!) on the internet. Not an inviting prospect. I shall keep trying, and let you all know.

Still no replies from Turbine to my e-mails.

Since my last post, I have been putting some effort into getting Bleoboris up to level 6. Weapon of choice is a Greatsword, so if anyone finds a good one...

Its a lot easier soloing with a tank, and I have had a fairbit of success, but I lost heart a bit this morning when doing the final encounter in the Guard Jung adventure. The bastard Troll at the end massacred me and my pocket drow in two blows, and left me facing a re-entry penalty with no guarantee of success.

I'll be soloing with him tonight, and each night this week between 9-12 GMT, so if anyone fancies an adventure, give me a whistle on guild chat.

I'm off to log on now, in fact Smile
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 pm

I might have some greatswords lying around Boris... I had a few for Gilders and might have given some to my Horc Barb to use in the meantime. I'll have a dig around tomorrow and see what I can come up with Smile
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 1:29 am

Nice man. I'm using a straight +2 atm.
Back to top Go down
TheRedChef
Serf

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 2:28 am

Boris, by a prepaid cash gift card, like a visa debit gift card. That's what I used for Turbine.
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 5:23 am

Hmmm. There's a thought. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip man.

I had a good night with Bleo last night. I have decided that soloing on Elite, even Hard, is for mugs. The Boss is often too tough, and it is a lot of effort for nothing if you get killed just before the end. I just don't have the time for it.

So, I tried a different strategy last night. Rather than trying to get all the lower level dungeons on elite, I tried a Level 6 on casual. Redwillow's something or other. Dished out by some bint in house J.

It claimed to be a long adventure for balanced parties, but I fired up my pocket FS, and headed in.

Well... loads of Trolls, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, etc, but they are pussycats on casual, and I had really good fights. I found a few mini-adventures, killed some red gribblies, got into half a dozen or so chests each of which had some fairly decent loot. The final hurrah was taking on 15 hill giants and a big red one, three at a time. It was tricky, but I made it without too much damage, and I really enjoyed the fight. In all, I raked in about 4k xp, and nearly a grands worth of plat, and the end reward was a 3 bonus shortsword which does almost as much damage as the greatsword. Looks a bit wussy, though, but I do get to use a shield with it.

I really enjoyed not recognising where I was too. House J is very pretty, and the jungle environment was good to play in. In all, a massive success. I wouldn't like to try it on normal, though. I reckon it would grease me pretty quickly.

So, does anyone have any pointers toward FTP higher level adventures? Say 5, or 6? I'll have another look tonight, and with any luck, Bleo will make level 6 before the end of the week.
Back to top Go down
ArcaneJill
Admin
ArcaneJill

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 5:32 am

Off the top of my head, the Depths series (4 quests) in House Deneith are all level 4-5 and are free, and there are 4 quests in House Kundarak (Chamber of Insanity, Lair of Summoning, couple others I can't think of) which are all levels 5-6 and are free. For Chamber of Insanity (I think) you'll want either Neutralize poison pots/wands or a proof against poison item if you're going to solo it, because there are poison traps in each of the four rooms. A ghost touch weapon is another thing to have because of the 4 wraiths.
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 6:42 am

I love the Depths series in House D. Not so keen on the House K quests except for The Forgotten Caverns. Of the FTP quests in the Houses to avoid - don't try The Pit without a party ^^
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 7:14 am

The forgotten caves is a good one - earth elementals and trolls! Also avoid Taming the flames on your own (lots of fire elementals) and teh Caverns of Korromar (quite a few hard fights, especially the last one)!
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Well, back again.

Since we last spoke, I have been concentrating on Bleoboris, the Paladin.

I got him up to sixth with insolent ease. A good tip is the seekers quests in the harbour. The four of them netted me about 12k experience on Hard. There are plenty of bosses, and none of it is too difficult. Decent loot too, but nothing sensational.

Do it on an easier level first, so you know what you are doing. There are one or two places that can catch you. The prison springs to mind. Kill everything in the place before you release your man. There are more gribblies than you think.

Since then, I have been milking the depths quests. The strategy I am using is starting on Casual, and moving on through Normal before finishing on Hard. What do you guys think? Is this better than steaming in on a high level? I know there is a xp depreciation when you redo a quest, but the xp goes up too, and doing all four like this boosted me about a rank and a third. Tell me...

And onwards. I shall push on to seven with Bleo. He is a lot easier to solo with than Borissa the sorc, and use him as a kind of pathfinder. Its easier soloing with a weaker character if you know the dungeon first.

I still say soloing on elite is a mugs game, unless you are so high a level that the xp aren't worthhaving anyway.

Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptySat Nov 27, 2010 7:54 pm

you get xp depreciation on your 4th completion i believe. so, naturally the most xp you can milk any quest is for:

elite 4 times, first time you get elite bonus
hard once, first time hard bonus,
normal once, first time normal bonus.

but, remember you get less xp if you die, and no xp if you wipe out and dont finish. so its always better to be certain.

Quote :
First-time completion: (individual) Completing a quest for the first time on Solo/Casual, on Normal, and on Hard difficulty each grants a +25% bonus. Completing a quest for the first time on Elite difficulty grants a +50% bonus.

Quote :
Repetition: (individual) The first three completions have no adjustment. Completing a quest for the fourth time (i.e., the third repetition) carries a -10% penalty, with an additional -10% penalty for each further completion, for maximum penalty of -90% from the 12th completion on. Also, beginning with the 13th completion, the main XP reward is capped at a maximum of 10% of its base value regardless of bonuses. All completions at all difficulty levels count toward this penalty. This penalty (including the 10% cap) is waived if there is a "first time" difficulty bonus, though that completion still counts toward increasing the penalty on later attempts. If the player is at the current level cap then the repetition counter is not incremented upon a successful completion, however the quest is considered 'completed' at that difficulty for the purposes of the First-time completion bonus.

Quote :
# Death: (party) There is a +10% Flawless Victory Bonus if there are no deaths. (Unconsciousness is not death unless the player releases.) There is a +5% Survival Bonus if there are one or more Hireling deaths but no player deaths.
# Re-entry:

* (party) There is a +10% Persistence Bonus if no one leaves the quest (for any reason, including death & release to bind point, recall, or exit) and re-enters.
* (individual) Each of your re-entries confers a -20% penalty to you, to a maximum of -90% for the fifth. Re-entry penalties do not apply on Solo or Casual difficulty, although the Persistence Bonus can still be lost.

Example:
Scenario 1, doing Normal X4, then Hard X1, Then Elite X1
Quest 'Information is Key' in the Harbor, chosen because it is one of my favorite XP farms when I start any new character.
Normal XP - Hard - Elite
980 1060 1140 Information is Key
http://ddowiki.com/page/Quests_by_Level_and_XP

Without other bonuses, like survival, conquest, and ransack ect:
Normal first time (+25%) = 1225 XP
Normal next 2 times (+0%) = 1960 XP
Normal 4th time (-10%) = 882 XP
Hard first time (+25%) = 1325 XP
Elite first time (+50%) = 1710 XP

Total XP = 7102
Remember this number can raise significantly by other bonuses as well, like ransack, persistence, survival...

Scenario 2, Elite 4 times, Hard and Norm once each (way I try to do it, if possible)
Quest 'Information is Key' in the Harbor, chosen because it is one of my favorite XP farms when I start any new character.
Normal XP - Hard - Elite
980 1060 1140 Information is Key
http://ddowiki.com/page/Quests_by_Level_and_XP

Without other bonuses, like survival, conquest, and ransack ect:
Elite first time (+50%) = 1710 XP
Elite next 2 times (+0%) = 2280 XP
Elite 4th time (=10%) = 1026
Hard first time (+25%) = 1325 XP
Normal first time (+25%) = 1225 XP

Total XP = 7566
Remember this number can raise significantly by other bonuses as well, like ransack, persistence, survival...

So, just off base XP, running the same thing eliteX4 vs. normX4 will net 450 more XP, which might not sound like a lot but it is basically half the quest XP! Granted, if elite is THAT much harder to do than normal, do normal. Time vs. XP gain is a good formula people use for 'power leveling', but let's face it: it's not as much fun to die.

Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 am

Thanks for that, Anto. Very clear.

I don't really want to milk quests, however it is quite fun to try one first on casual, then again on Normal, and finally on hard. It is a different experience each time, and the easy run on casual gives advance warning of possible difficulties to be faced later.

Bleoboris continues on his march to level 7. He now has three ranks down, and I am learning more about the game as I go.

Last night I killed a whole load of Hobgoblins in a level 7 house P quest, where I was required to complete an optional quest objective of getting six shards of some gem or other together, but I only found the one.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I am guessing that I missed a lot of them because of my utter inability to find secret doors, with Bleo at least. Perhaps Borissa will fare better. Also it strikes me that this would make an excellent party quest, perhaps on Hard level.

If anyone fancies joining me on this, or can point me at the missing shards, I would be grateful.

Onwards and Upwards!
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 7:05 am

The tear of Dhakaan Smile It's one of my faves!
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 7:25 am

Thats it! Forgive me for not remembering scenario names. Its creeping age, you see.

So, where are the fragments then?
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 am

They're hidden all over the place (behind closed doors, underwater, etc). You'll need a rogue to help you out with getting a few of them probably because of the locked doors.

I'd offer Zog's services but you'd take a considerable XP hit Sad
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 11:50 am

I dont think it matters if you do the elites first or last, So because of this assumption, For the quickess xp (although it will be slightly less than the max ) I usually recommend N/N/N/H/E ( the six one will give -10% so I usually try to only run 5 times unless it is really good loot, or really good xp).

I think when it is recommended to do elite X3 hard X1 and N x1 for max xp, I dont think it matters which order you do them in. Doing it this way allows you to do the normal at or 1 below your level and suffer no penalties, and hopefully you will be able to level up to do the hard, then the elites.
Back to top Go down
Tod_Whitesnow
Squire
Tod_Whitesnow

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. EmptyTue Nov 30, 2010 12:28 pm

I have a Level 4 nearly 5 rogue and Bw has a Lv6 one.

I would love to give it a try.

LOL Zog Xp hit, I would be more worried about the traps than Xp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boris' DDO blog thread.   Boris' DDO blog thread. Empty

Back to top Go down

Boris' DDO blog thread.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next