Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian
RK Profession: Blacksmith

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Hey nerds! We've got a few threads for geeking out on other stuff, I figure I'd start a thread for one of my favorite mediums right now. Comic Books!

I got back into them because graduate school did a number on my attention span. I had a huge stack of novels, ready to be consumed upon my graduation. My brain said "You want me to read ALL that? Fuck that shit." Then when I presented my brain with thin books filled with awesome art and fast stories, it said, "Ok Jen, this I will allow".

To the comics!

First order of business- because I secretly (not so secretly) wish I would have become a librarian, I catalog my comics at Stash My Comics.  It is a free database that also keeps track of price. So while it is kind of shocking to see how much I have spent, it is gratifying to see the worth increase!

On my pull list:

Wicked + the Divine- From the link- "Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead."
Sex Criminals- (writer lives in Portland!). This book is about two people who can stop time when they have sex. They use their powers to rob a bank, naturally! But really, this book is so much more. It delves into serious shit like depression and relationships. It is awesome. Really, I mean it.
Red Sonja (writer lives in Oregon!) You know why the Red Devil wears that tiny, chainmail bikini? Because she wants to!
Legenderry Red Sonja -Red Sonja in a more steampunk way!
Rat Queens- The site describes it best as "Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they’re in the business of killing all god’s creatures for profit. " SOLD

Edward Scissorhands- The comic picks up the story from the movie, from the POV of the girl's granddaughter (Winona Ryder's character..can't remember her name).
Death Vigil- It is about...death and fighting primordial beings!
The Black Hood- an anti-hero story and the first time you will see an F-bomb in an Archie published comic! Ha!
Ant-Man- The best way I can describe Ant-man is this. He is kinda mouthy like Deadpool. Only you know how the new Deadpool movie is gonna be rated R? The Ant-Man movie won't be rated R. That is the difference. Fret not, it is still a fun read!
Bitch Planet- (writer lives in Portland!) Feminist goodness. This is about an all female prison planet in which 'non-compliant' women are sent for not abiding by societies standards. So. Fucking. Good.
Shaft-writer lives in Portland! The art and style is straight up 70s goodness. Love this book.
The Kitchen- about a group of mafia wives in 70s Hells Kitchen who take over the business while their husbands are in the clink. SOLID.
The Fade Out- Pure 40s Hollywood noir. I will read anything Brubaker puts out, no lie.

God that is a lot. And that is just on my pull list for my box! :O
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:59 pm

To enter the debate between The Big Two (DC or Marvel, duh), just looking at my most read list, it is obvious I am in the Marvel camp. I am no DC hater though!

Here are some Marvel ones I am digging right now:

Punisher-Always and forever.
She-Hulk-Also, always and forever.
Thor-- The latest incarnation of Thor is a woman. True story: it is outselling the male Thor issues. Could be because Thor as a woman is badass, could be because the writer is also badass.
Ms. Marvel-a Muslim teenager as a superhero. Rad.
Captain Marvel- Carol Corps!! The same writer behind Bitch Planet writes this one.
Deadpool's Art of War- whoever the mad genius is that came up with mashing Deadpool with Sun Tzu, hats off to them. Seriously.
Spider Gwen- the tale of Gwen Stacy! It is rad. In this incarnation, Frank Castle is the police captain.
Howard the Duck- the artist behind Sex Criminals is the writer for this reboot. It is hilarious. Also- his office neighbor is none other than the lawyer Jennifer Walters (for you noobs, that is She-Hulk's 'regular' identity!)
Ant-Man- as mentioned above, this newest release is really great!

Despite all this, the Joker remains to be my favorite super villain as he is a true Nihilist. I love that!

Outside of the above, I tend to prefer Creator Owned comics. They are more accessible. Books from The Big Two are hard to jump in, as the multiverse are usually so huge. It is akin to turning on a soap opera and figuring out what the hell is going on. Eh, not into it...usually! Very Happy

What're you guys reading or into these days?
Back to top Go down
Jurias
Commoner
Jurias

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Butcher

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm

I've recently delved into the lastest Marvel NOW! Moonknight series. Very dark and gripping, but splits into several ministories for the first couple of volumes. Certainly a good read if you like a damaged hero riddled with multiple personalities with a penchant for extreme violence.

Also, DC's Forever evil mini-series (I'm a tad behind...). Very very interesting set of graphic novels. I recently picked up The Rogues Rebellion volume centered around the villains that inhabit The Flash's rogue gallery. Main roles - Captain Cold, Heatwave, Mirror Master, Golden Glider, Weather Wizard, The Trickster. With a nice bit of central city destruction from everyone's favourite psychopathic ape, Gorilla Grodd.
Loved the connection the writer made between the rogues as a family, very heartfelt between the action/wars, a lot of character depth for villain's who don't really get enough credit. I'm a sucker for the lil guys!

Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Rogue's Rebellion sounds really cool. I really do need to delve more into DC, especially with the New 52 and the Convergence stuff coming out.

Nerd confession: at an RP website away from here, I am gearing up to write a Wonder Woman/ Steve Trevor RP with someone. affraid Laughing Laughing Needless to say, I need to brush up on my DC knowledge!

I picked this up on clearance at a bookstore near work:

Comic Books 929691

It isn't just pictures, it has a lot of backstory/info on each cover girl. Really cool stuff. Also as a bonus: they include cover girls from the DC imprints like Vertigo. I do tend to read a bit on Vertigo.
Back to top Go down
Terrasophia
Squire
Terrasophia

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: None

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:53 am

I have to admit that my comics list is really short. Girl Genius is about the only one I read these days, and I'm way behind on it.

We've been talking about picking up Walking Dead, but husband strongly suggested that I not get him back into reading comic books. A couple on your list sound too good to miss!

Brian Kessinger is also drawing the Groot comic coming out in June.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 12:03 pm

I can get on board with the Groot comic. I am assuming it is going to be mostly action, not a lot of dialogue? Laughing Laughing

I just read the second issue of Howard the Duck. It is the tie-in issue in which he and Rocket are on that Collector's planet (kinda tying in from the GotG movie). It definitely makes me want to read more GotG!
Back to top Go down
Jurias
Commoner
Jurias

Character sheet
DDO character:

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:26 am

I'd really recommend the new 52 Wonder Woman to you Jen. She was sort of... Novelty before. Now she has a real kind of following, making her more of a heroine than 'walking sex appeal' for the comic world if that makes sense.

Spoiler: She becomes the goddess of war Razz
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 11:17 am

Spawn - just one of my favorites. They made a movie out of it too!

Comic Books 3500943-spawn
Back to top Go down
Fordo
Commoner
Fordo

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Love Spawn

Big fan of Tank Girl too.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyFri May 01, 2015 7:25 pm

Jurias wrote:
I'd really recommend the new 52 Wonder Woman to you Jen. She was sort of... Novelty before. Now she has a real kind of following, making her more of a heroine than 'walking sex appeal' for the comic world if that makes sense.

Spoiler: She becomes the goddess of war Razz

I grabbed the Covergence: Wonder Woman issue and am into it. I will follow it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Also---have you guys SEEN this cover?? XD XD XD Of course I bought it. I mean, come on.

Comic Books JusticeLeague.jpg?quality=0

Hahah! They have a few movie poster themed variants.. The Superman one is cool, looks like the movie Superfly, but I don't give a shit about Superman, so Imma pass on that one.

Here are a few of my faves:

Comic Books TT_Cv40_movieposter_var_580_548b55590a7ca4.66326952

Comic Books WW_Cv40_movieposter_var_580_548b55953f33d4.08899940

Comic Books AQM_Cv40_movieposter_var_R2_580_548b4d208ab7a7.92927683

Comic Books BATGIRL-movie-poster-variant-for-PREVIEWS_580_548b4d54dea1b4.15206997

Comic Books FLS_Cv40_movieposter_var_580_548b4f54962706.20337867

Those are the ones I might buy. Simply because the cover art is so damned hot!
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptySat May 09, 2015 11:47 pm

I was never that big into comics, but I used to read ghost rider and some conan back in the 90's, and watched spawn on HBO. I even messed around with writing my own comic once, but it came across as too much work. I am limited in what I can draw well. I wrote and drew 2 pages worth and quit. Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptySun May 10, 2015 8:54 am

R. Crumb was my favorite back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Crumb

http://www.crumbproducts.com/

http://www.zubeworld.com/crumbmuseum/
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books EmptyMon May 11, 2015 11:31 am

There is a Conan/Red Sonja project out right now that I am DIGGING. It is really good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Comic Books Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comic Books   Comic Books Empty

Back to top Go down

Comic Books
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All your Nachos are belong to us! :: General :: Off Topic-
Jump to: