Join us at our NEW forum: www.nngo.biz
All your Nachos are belong to us!
Join us at our NEW forum: www.nngo.biz
All your Nachos are belong to us!

~NNGO IZ SRS BSNS~

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» TORN
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 3:03 pm by anto_capone

» Ridiculously rough draft ideas
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 7:50 pm by James

» The Music Thread!
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2018 1:19 pm by Trinity

» How's life treating ya?
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 8:06 am by Trinity

» Games to Replace RK - Reviews
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 7:28 pm by Bekah

» Queen of Ireland
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 23, 2017 12:28 am by jaqk

» RPG Maker
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 18, 2017 9:52 pm by Trinity

» Fight of Ages
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 pm by Trinity

» Access to NNGO Forums
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 28, 2017 2:28 pm by gonads

» Laugh of the day
Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 21, 2017 9:40 pm by Bekah

Navigation
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 215 on Tue May 18, 2021 2:52 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Discord

Studies

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Whiskey Distiller

Studies                        - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Physax wrote:
St. Andrews. So he is a clergyman, or at least connected to religion., and from England to boot. An interesting choice for a tutor, the English, in Phy's experience, have tended to dally a bit too much in the pretentious, but then again, Lance would want someone as removed from Scottish daily life and norms as possible. Somehow the fact that Lance would want a tutor or... whatever Richard is... is not surprising to Phy. Scotland can be a lonely place for someone who wants to discuss anything other than the price of corn or the latest political scandal or public affair. A smile crosses her lips as she imagines the shock this repressed and formal young churchman must have received when he encountered Lance.

She follows Richard to the long wooden table and runs her fingers along its surface, avoiding Richard's eyes. He has repeated his question regarding Phy's reasons for visiting and she sees that he will not be put off by another evasion.

"To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why I came here. Lance wrote to discuss a personal matter and there was something in his tone that got me worried." She looks at Richard now, searching for some sign that her intuition was not off base. "He sounded like maybe he could use...", she pauses, worried about sounding foolish, or perhaps about sounding like one of the many lovely ladies of Galloway Inn, any one of whom would probably pay good money to listen to listen to one of Galloway's most eligible bachelors, but worrying about what people might think is not something that sits well with Physax and, holding her gaze on Richard, she finishes, "...someone to talk to."
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:32 pm

--Robert_the_Butler wrote:
Still frantically moving about he had done everything to revive his master. More and more he seemed to be coming back to life, whatever they were doing was working. He kept about his work until he felt a touch upon his arm. Freezing for a moment he looked down to see that Lance had some movement. Tears of hope came to his eyes as he instructed the other servants in what to do. One of you go down and find Richard, let him know . . . he trailed off as Lance went back into unconsciousness.

Hearing his master speak was more good news, he could only place his hand on his shoulder before he went back into sleep. But soon after he came back again and this time seemed to stay awake. Lance spoke in a low, dazed voiced and Robert tried to calm him. Master, we moved you from your study . . . Richard found you there. Robert wasn't even sure what had happened, Richard hadn't explained anything to him in the rush of trying to help Lance. You became sick and we needed to move you quickly. Your sister is fine, she has not been told of your illness yet. Richard is downstairs, entertaining Lady Physax. He wasn't sure how Lance would take the news of unexpected visitors in his state, especially Physax, which he had always been especially fond of.

He felt rather helpless in the situation, he had looked upon Lance as a son ever since he had heard that there were Dunbar survivors. Through it all he had been there with him, from the time he was a wide eyed young farmer, to his first days as Mayor . . . to whatever political monster he had grown into. Maybe there was a little selfishness in his heart, wanting his master to stay at Mochrum more, out of the public eye. Perhaps, this would lead to more time. But those thoughts suddenly passed as he looked down at Lance's weak form. I have sent someone for Richard, shouldn't be long now.
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Listening intently he pondered a good response to the woman. In the end he just gave a little smile, Physax seemed to smart to beat around the bush with. You know, there are few people in Scotland that Lance has ever spoken really high of. Even when he was being prosecuted by you, there were curses for others, but never you. He knew there were few people still that Lance had known since he had arrived in Galloway. Those that were still around, he still spoke of with reverence, whenever he explained his younger days. Even though Richard's time at Mochrum had been brief in the great context of things, there had been many women, some more accomplished then others, that had spent time here, but he sensed the woman across from him was not to be as easily dismissed.

Speaking again, his voice was a little shaky . . . Lance is upstairs, he has become ill (not wanting to conjecture on what actually happened). We are trying to revive him now, he hasn't been doing well. He felt he was being unusually blunt, but better to just get it all out, he was sure it would eventually anyway. I would take you up now, but I'm not sure he's even aware enough to know who you are right now. If you're not opposed to waiting, I do think Lance would appreciate seeing you, above most people. Besides his sister, I don't know that many people would know him on a better personal level then you. Looking away, he finished, If only you might have come by a few hours sooner, maybe none of this would have happened. But best not to dwell on such things

At that moment a servant bustled into the hall from the staircase. Richard turned around quickly, If you'll excuse me for a minute Lady Physax, he said getting up and moving over to the servant. He had a brief and quiet discussion with the servant, before heading back towards the table. Well, it appears Lance is conscious again, though I won't vouch for his current condition, but if you are still interested in seeing him, I do believe he'd appreciate it.
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Physax wrote:
The news of Lance's illness takes Physax by surprise, it is not what she had been expecting. Troubled, maybe. Overwhelmed by work, very likely. But physically ill? She has heard nothing from the grapevine about the trade minister's illness, so it must have been sudden, and Phy wonders just how serious the problem is.

This does much to explain the butler's upset upon her arrival, he would not want word to get out of his master's sickness. Illness of any kind can only be a curse to a politician because rivals will exploit it for what it is, a moment of weakness. Kick you when you're down, that's how the game is played, and surely an estate butler has seen it happen time and again.

As she waits for Richard to return with news from the butler, she ponders his final comment. "If only you might have come by a few hours sooner, maybe none of this would have happened." What could Phy possibly have done to prevent Lance's sudden illness? Perhaps keep him from making an unwise decision, taking a walk in the chill morning air? Or stop him from eating a dish that had turned bad? Neither of these possibilities seems potent enough to have caused the grave concern that Richard and the butler seem to share. Something is amiss here, and Phy suddenly wishes very much to see Lance, whether the two dragons will allow it or not.

She is already standing, about to head towards the stairs when Richard turns to deliver his official permission.
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Lance took in Robert's words, his last memories slowly coming back to him. He felt ashamed of what he knew had happened, though he still tried to block those memories for now. He could only imagine the faces of his friend and family if they had known what he had done. At least his sister hadn't been made aware, he would have to deal with that later. Him spending days in bed recovering would not be easy to explain away.

Quote :
Richard is downstairs, entertaining Lady Physax.

So it was inevitable now, if she didn't know already . . . well Richard wasn't the best at diplomacy, smart though he was. For a few minutes he just lay there, letting all the events and news sink in. All the thoughts were confusing and straining his tired body. He looked once again up at Robert, Well I suppose if anyone had to know, I would prefer her to most people. I am tired, but I can stand to see her. I take it she was been informed of my . . . well.

He closed his eyes to rest a bit longer before Richard and Physax arrived.
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:35 pm

Physax, like himself, seemed anxious to get upstairs instead of dawdling in more conversation. He hadn't gotten actual permission to bring her upstairs, but he thought he knew his master well enough, that we would want close friends nearby. Well, then follow me, he motion to the woman, heading upstairs himself. Finishing the short climb he made a bee-line down the hall to Lance's door. Robert was exiting the room as he got there. What news?
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:36 pm

--Robert_the_Butler wrote:
The strained look on his master's face was apparent. He didn't know if he had the strength for visitors, especially not those he knew both politically and personally. However, he had said to bring Physax up and his will would be done. As Lance closed his eyes for a few minutes rest, he moved around him, propping him up to a half sitting position with some pillows. He wouldn't want to look so weak and pitiful in the eyes of his friends. Cleaning up what remnants of his illness that he could he exited the chamber to look for Richard.

Unexpectedly he ran into him right outside the door. He's doing better, at least awake now and conscious, though still weak, he spoke both to Lady Physax and Richard. He is waiting inside for you both, mind his constitution though, he finished, leaving the door open for them to enter.
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Physax wrote:
Phy waits while Richard speaks to the butler. She had taken the stairs two at a time, but suddenly finds herself hesitating outside the door to Lance's room. Illness or great suffering of any kind always seems to put her off balance and at a loss for words. Phy squints and tilts her head to the side, releasing tension. Lance is sick, not in mourning, and he will need her to be cheerful.

But Phy hasn't seen Lance in person since the trial where she prosecuted him for high treason, and there are some things that cannot be communicated in a letter. She feels a sudden numbness as she prepares to face her friend, a sad byproduct of the mess of conflicting emotions that she had been forced to repress during the trial. Since then, Phy has buried herself in her work and her life in Dumfries, and perhaps her reasons for coming to Mochrum today have less to do with her worry for Lance than with her worry for herself and what the anger, guilt and disappointment will do to her if they remain unexpressed. At some level, Phy is afraid of this conversation, afraid of what it will do to her relationship with Lance, and it is an act of sheer willpower just to plant her feet inside the doorway.

Physax has always admired Lance's knack for leadership, his ability to take command of a situation without overpowering the voices of others, to steer a group of people with varying agendas towards a single, unifying goal. Now, the first thing that strikes her is how small Lance looks, surrounded by mounds of pillows on a large bed in a large room in his large manor house. He seems consumed by the possessions that surround him, swallowed up by the position that he occupies in this house, and, as the butler and Richard hover nearby, he seems to shrink ever further into the pillows.

What must have happened to her confident and happy friend to weaken him so? Her first thought is to blame politics, however, Phy has watched Lance withstand the pressures of public office through the worst of times; he is the one man whom she had never expected to be washed up on the beach by the everchanging tide of public opinion. Perhaps a personal tragedy, or a crisis of faith, but Phy has heard nothing of any such event and Lance was never the most religious of men. She turns to glance at Richard, wondering what exactly he and Lance had discussed, wondering why he hadn't seen this coming, whatever 'this' might be. While the exact causes for Lance's illness remain a mystery to Phy, it is becoming more and more evident to her that their root lies in some deep psychic disturbance, a malady more of mind than of body.

Saying nothing, Phy seats herself on a chair at the food of the bed. She cannot know what Lance needs at the moment, but she will let him lead the way.
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:38 pm

Even with his eyes closed, he could hear them outside his door, talking in low whispers. What must they all think of me? he asked himself in silence. He opened his eyes as he heard them entering the room, first Richard, then Physax. Richard pulled up a seat by the side of the bed and they both seemed to be looking concernedly at him, waiting for him to speak first. Gathering his energy he attempted to put on his usual joviality, vainly trying to mask anything else he was feeling. I am glad you were able to stop by when I finally had some free time Physax. As you can see, I'm not drowning in paperwork for once, he put on a weak smile.

He felt very uncomfortable with both of them staring at them, perhaps they expected some deep confession from him. If he was capable of movement, he might have made a polite exit from the room, to be by himself. But he was stuck, left to try to explain himself to the two of them, something they were both undoubtedly expecting of him. Leave us . . . he called out to the servants in the room, raising his one hand in the direction of Richard, indicating he should stay.

I hope you'll forgive my current state Physax, I wasn't expecting anyone today. Or else, I might . . . well, he paused for a minute. Tell me news of Dumfries and the Red Army. How is Jethro, Ceana, Coast, Evan and everyone else in Dumfries. Shame I couldn't be there to celebrate their child with them, you know how it is, duty first. Hesitating, he readjusted himself on the the pillows, hoping his weakness wouldn't show through. Appearances had always meant everything to him. He had forced a lot of energy to keep those around him energetic and coupled with the days events his weariness was more then ever.

It will be nice to have a break when this term is over, I'm sure you can relate to being completely drained by your duties as well. At least in that I don't suffer alone. He refrained from asking her why she had come, he had an inkling, remembering the letter of a couple days ago. Back when the first thoughts of such an act had crept into his mind. Feeling as if he was rambling on, not really knowing what they expected him to say he just finished, smiling back at his old friend. If nothing else, at least tell me you, yourself are doing well.
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Physax wrote:
There it is again, that hint of what might have been had she but arrived earlier in the day. What had happened at Mochrum this afternoon? Lance is moving on and Physax can almost see the gears shifting as he transitions into his public persona, but the truth of his weakness is there in the fragile corners of his smile, the tension in his arms as he pushes back the pillows.

It hurts that he should feel that he has to perform for her, of all people, but as his voice trails off, asking her to tell him that she, at least, is alright, she realizes that Lance's show of strength is not for her at all, but for himself. Perhaps, this, then, is what he needs most at the moment, someone to connect him with the world, and pretend that everything is, in fact, alright.

"I am doing well, better now that I've gotten to see you." She smiles as she had when she first walked into the room, but this time it is genuine, and she tries to really see him, not the trade minister, not the former duke, but her friend, Lance. "Dumfries folk are just fine, we've had quite a bit of assistance with defense from visitors to the capital lately, and even a few new citizens stepping up to get involved. They ask me who or what we're defending against and as the days go by I wonder more and more about the answer to that question. In some ways war is a state of mind, but then again, I suppose one must be objective. If there are enemies out to destroy you, it won't matter one wit what your state of mind might be." Phy pauses, she is wandering into less than cheerful territory and she studies Lance to see how he will take it. The possibility of spies and enemies undercover in Scotland had been a sore point in Lance's trial but Phy's job as General has forced her to spend a lot of time considering exactly how likely, or unlikely, that possibility might be.
Back to top Go down
Lance
Knight
Lance

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 10:39 pm

He returned her warm smile, deep in his heart he knew there was no need for his acts of grandeur or to hide his true emotions. Too many times had people he had counted as closest friend betrayed him, though. Remembering back to words Bethan had told him a long time ago, which he had dismissed in the ignorance of his youth . . . but she had been right. Physax was different though, for as long as he could remember she had kept herself out of all the usual muck of politics, he still didn't know how she had managed to.

He listened intently as she spoke about the happenings of Dumfries and the army. Aye, it seems when you're prepared for an attack, they never seem to come. I am actually surprised at the amount of peace we've had in the past year, there have been wars, but never in Galloway, except briefly. His mind flashed back to riding along side Julius during the battle at Kirkcudbright, how he wished now for some of his strength.

I don't know how you keep your own sanity, tracking travelers and threats, which as you say, usually amount to nothing. Numbers I can do, but I've never been good about keeping track of defense. Galloway is lucky to have people like you. He paused for a few moments, the length of his speech was draining. Darting his eyes around the room, fearing the silence, he looked for a new topic. He didn't know how to say what he wanted to say to her, he was never good at openly expressing himself. Perhaps that was his great failing, during times of weakness he never reached out for help, always taking the burden himself.

I know you're not one for nobility, clans, or long genealogies. But I can trace back the history of this home eight generations. For more then three hundred years, there has always been a Lord or Lady of Mochrum. I am just a part of a long line of people who have lived in this home in some fashion, some better then others, but I find comfort in that. I am only part of something bigger, that has gone on before me and will continue on, long after I have passed from this world. It is also a lot of pressure to live up to, to make myself worthy of carrying such a title, even if the King no longer recognizes it.

Looking at Physax, he wasn't sure if she knew what he was trying to say. He turned it back to the more immediate. I have often felt that way about Galloway as well, when I was Duke, Trade Minister, even Mayor. There is history there, so much to live up to, so much to prove that I'm the equal of those that came before me. I know what people say behind my back, even a few to my face. That I'm power hungry, controlling, a thief, a bad family member, a bad friend . . . I don't know what I actually am anymore.

Do you remember Kirk, a year and a half ago . . . things seemed so happy and innocent then. I have often wanted to go back in time to then, there are so many things I would have done differently. I guess it does no good to dwell on such things, though. There was deep regret in his voice as he trailed off, he could feel his eyes becoming a bit wet, yet he held back. Physax, I only ever wanted to make people proud, to set an example and carve out my own place among those that served before me. Now though, it seems to have gone all wrong. I feel reviled wherever I go, I hear those things that people wouldn't dare say to my face . . . I don't know. I need to get away, perhaps for good, I think that's why I find myself as I am now. I couldn't wait for my ship . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Studies    Studies                        - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Studies
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All your Nachos are belong to us! :: RK :: Scotland :: Scottish RP-
Jump to: