AuthorMessage
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian
RK Profession: Blacksmith

Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 7:19 pm

She glanced over her shoulder and looked at him through her lashes. She nudged his full second mug closer to him. As you can clearly see, lad, my body is free of any wounds, injuries or imperfections.

His eyes snapped back up and met her own. A languid smile played upon her lips. He swallowed and nodded slowly. Yes, yes. It is very evident to me that you are not injured.

She reached closer to him, letting her arm brush his lightly. She grabbed his empty mug and held it up. She called out, Another round please! Without bringing her arm back, she asked, So tell me, Friar Cuthbert. How long have you been in France?

He stared at her for a few moments. Um, hmm. Let’s see. I have, um...been in France for...ha! I, it has been a while.

Phillipe deposited another mug of ale in front of the Friar, which meant he now had two full mugs placed in front of him. Toastini raised one eyebrow. Has it been a while? Hmmm, that is a shame. She murmured coquettishly. She grabbed the new mug and brought it closer to her.

He nodded dumbly. It is a shame. Gets right lonely sometimes. These French don't care for anyone except for themselves.

Toastini swallowed a laugh. That was rich, coming from an Englishman. She couldn't get sardonic now. This man was nearly clay in her hands. Without him noticing, she stealthily moved her hands to her small leather purse attached to her belt. Her fingers wiggled around until they found purchase on a small clump of the herbs Guillamette had administered earlier. She balled her fist around the tiny bundle, causing the herbs to crush down. While the Friar downed the last of the ale from one mug, she sprinkled the herbs into the mug that she clasped in front of her. As Cuthbert placed the empty mug down on the bar, Toastini held the full, drugged mug out in front of him. She gave him an encouraging look. He accepted the mug and tossed the ale back. He hiccupped slightly and leaned into the bar.

He sat upright suddenly, eyes brightening. I have a jug of beer in my room from a Trappist* friend of mine. He is from the Orval Abbey in Belgium. Would you like to try some?

Toastini's eyes narrowed ferally. And there it was, practically presented to her on a platter. She leaned closer to the drunken man and nearly purred. I would very much like to try some of this Trappist beer. But being as that I am a lady of delicate sensibilities and reputation, you should go up first. I will join you after a few moments have passed.

*taking slight liberties with history, as the term "Trappist" didn't come about until the 16th century. We can just say that Friar Cuthbert is far ahead of his time.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:12 pm

The man stared open mouthed at Toastini, hardly believing his luck. He nodded, slammed the rest of his ale down his throat and staggered up the stairs to the guest rooms. Toastini sagged in her stool with relief. The barkeep was careful to not meet her eyes. She would tip him well for his discretion, whether it was necessary or not. There was not a chance in Hades that she was going to join a Friar in his bedroom.

Toastini, what was that all about? Guillemette's soft voice tickled her ear. She would have jumped if the whiskey were not doing such a good job of relaxing her.

She turned to face Guillemette. It sounds like word of our...or rather, a certain Irish woman fitting my exact description stealing horses from a convent in Laval is circulating. That Friar was asking too many questions and was beginning to suspect me to be the culprit. I may have encouraged his drinking to excess and promised to meet him in his room in a few moments just to distract him. She darted her eyes to the side and lowered her voice. I may have even sprinkled some of those herbs you gave me into his last ale.

Guillemette's eyes widened in disbelief. Toa...Mademoiselle! You didn't!

Toastini rolled her eyes and huffed. Oh, come now. I am not really going to go up there. I admit, drugging and manipulating a man of the cloth isn't my finest work, but at the same time, it isn't my worst offense either.

Guillemette's lips turned down into a little frown. Do you think we should leave immediately?

Toastini thought about it for a moment. She was banking on the fact that Cuthbert would eventually pass out while waiting for his guest to arrive. She was also banking on him having quite the headache the next morning. But, given his propensity to drink, he may be very used to imbibing so heavily. She could not in good conscious rely on him sleeping the day away tomorrow. Still, the ale in combination with the herbs would surely buy them a little extra time. Additionally, while the whiskey had made her feel much better, it had also made her very drowsy. She knew she could not get back on a horse and ride, especially since it was the dead of winter. No, we should leave first thing in the morning. Preferably before dawn. I simply can't ride tonight, I am far too weak. Could you place an order of a bundle of salted meats, cheese and bread for the road? I shudder to think of what we would find in our basket should I attempt to place the order.

Guillemette did just that, and Toastini slowly nursed her whiskey while they waited for the food. Toastini watched several patrons come and go, some leaving out the front door and some adjourning upstairs to the guest rooms. She noticed with a smirk that the inn clearly catered to the pious crowd; several patrons wore the tell-tale tunics of those residing in cloisters. That would explain the lack of wenches in this tavern, she thought wryly.

Philippe returned from the kitchen with a bundle of food. He handed it to Guillemette while exchanging pleasantries. Toastini dipped into her purse and extracted a healthy amount of coins for the food, booze and exemplary service. He beamed a wide grinned and gave thanks in heavily accented English. She returned his smile easily and slid off of her stool.

A brown robbed young man thundered down the stairs, bellowing as he made his way down. Monsieur Philippe! Le frère Cuthbert est malade. Il est des vomissements et incohérente. Combien de verres avez-vous lui donner?

The barkeep frowned deeply. Seuls quatre boissons. Pas plus que la normale. Peut-être qu'il est malade d'autre chose?

Toastini stared at the loud man, wondering what all the fuss was about. Guillemette leaned in close to Toastini. She whispered, Mademoiselle, do you have all of your belongings on your person?

Toastini leaned away and shot Guillemette a look. What do you mean? Yes, everything I need is on me. Why?

Guillemette yanked Toastini close. It is time to go. Right now. You step out to the stables and prepare the horses. I will go wake Renouart.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Before Toastini could ask why, she noticed Phillipe had turned his frown on her, his deep eyes boring holes into her. She gulped. Yep, it was time to go. She beamed a winsome grin at Phillipe and casually walked out of the front door. Guillemette walked casually up the stairs, gliding past the nearly hysterical young priest.

Guillemette spoke to the young man, J'ai quelques herbes qui peuvent aider. Dois-je les porter à l'Frère?

Toastini did not linger long enough to hear if the man responded, not that she would know what the exchange was about. She trusted Guillemette implicitly. She also fully understood that she needed to get out while the getting was good. As soon as the door shut behind her, she broke out into a run, gathering the long tunic skirt into a fist.

She rounded the corner and entered the tiny stables. She found the stall that housed all three horses, sans cart. She noticed with relief that Renouart had not removed their saddles. She grabbed their reigns and led them to the door and spotted the cart which was parked alongside the barn. She led Renouart's horse over to the cart and simply stood there for a moment, hoping fruitlessly that the horse would attach the cart himself. Seeing that was not going to happen any time soon, she began to fiddle with the arms of the cart. Her heart was racing with exhilaration and from running. She sucked in lungfulls of the dry winter air. Oddly, it burned like fire. She felt a coughing fit coming on, but she choked it down. She did not want to make a lot of noise. Not now.

She breathed a sigh of relief when she heard Guillemette and Renouart approach the stables. The poor lad was bleary eyed and disheveled, his hair sticking out in all directions. She felt a pang of regret for having pulled the stunt that she did in there. If she had played the situation a little differently, they might all be in their respective beds enjoying a warm slumber.

Renouart took the cart arms from Toastini without looking at her. He skillfully and quickly attached the cart to his horse.

I am so sorry, Renouart. Guillemette, tell him I am sorry! Toastini exclaimed in a hushed tone, nearly hissing.

There is nothing to apologize for, Toastini. I explained what happened to Renouart. He said that he understood the possible compications that may arise when he rode his horse out of the convent property. Guillemette shot a glance at the lad with a soft expression on her face. He is not upset, just sleepy.

Toastini clenched her jaw with emotion. These two really were people of Jah. They helped others even when it brought great discomfort upon them. She vowed then and there to be of service to any of their needs. She cleared her throat which led to a coughing fit.

Guillemette looked on, worried. Toastini!

A group of four men rounded the corner, most dressed in brown tunics. Phillipe stood among them, his face mottled with anger. Once it registered in their minds that the trio was planning to leave, they all began yelling at once. Toastini took the opportunity during the cacophony to mount her horse and take off in a gallop, nearly running over one particularly frail looking priest.

Guillemette and Renouart did not need any further invitation to retreat. They both quickly mounted their horses, just as the small gaggle of men began to approach them. Phillipe reached out to grab Guillemette's leg as she attempted to carefully ride past the men. Renouart saw the movement out of the corner of his eye. With a yank of his reigns, he guided his horse quickly over and in between Phillipe and Guillemette. The sudden change in direction had the cart nearly on its side. It overcorrected in its path, swinging hard and knocking Phillipe down. Without bothering to look back, the two galloped off to catch up with Toastini, leaving angry priests and an injured barkeep in their wake.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Toastini, you are headed in the wrong direction! This is the way we came! Guillemette called into the darkness after they had cleared Argentan's town walls.

Toastini pulled on the reigns and slowed Molly Malone. Upon their approach, she informed Guillemette, It is not by accident. I told Friar Cuthbert that I was on a mission to Fuegeres. I figure they will most likely send a few town soldiers to follow us. We will loop back around a few paces down the road.

Toastini sat pensive for a moment. I just don't understand what happened. I clearly let the whiskey cloud my judgment. It did not occur to me that Cuthbert would have travel companions that were boarding with him. Dammit, I am furious for that oversight! Toastini slapped the horn on the saddle in frustration, causing Molly Malone to trot forward a few steps.

Mademoiselle, you did what you thought was right. There was no way to know that he was not traveling alone. We got away unscathed, so there is no need to be upset. Guillemette rationalized.

Toastini nodded, mouth set in a firm tight line. She appreciated Guillemette's sentiments, but disagreed with them all the same. She dismounted her horse and walked under a clearing. She removed a tightly rolled map that was stored in the saddle bag. Using the moon as her lamp, she determined their route through the nearby forest. Let's head east, then north to loop around Argentan. It looks like Lisieux is the next large town we will come across. Then it will be just one day to ride to Honfluer, where the boats are docked. I think it would be most prudent to camp just outside of Lisieux rather than go into town. It is too risky.

Guillemette nodded in agreement. Let us continue then. You need to rest as soon as possible.

Toastini mounted Molly Malone and urged her into a cantor into the forest. She was very grateful for the large full moon that illuminated their path. The ride circumnavigating around Argentan took longer than Toastini had hoped. She guessed that it had to have been midnight by the time they reached the northern side of town. Once they had reached the well paved path of the road between Argentan and Lisieux, the trio urged the horses into a speedy gallop.

They saw the gates to Lisieux long before they reached them. A cathedral bell tower stood tall and proud, like a beacon in the night. Renouart guided the three to a secluded spot in the forest just off the road for them to sleep. He unpacked two horse blankets from the cart. He gave one to Toastini and pointed at Guillemette. She guessed that she would share with the young woman, since the chivalrous lad couldn't do so himself. He tethered the horses to a nearby tree and settled on the ground a few paces away, between the horses and the women. Guillemette found a fairly flat spot next to a large oak tree and sat down. Toastini gave a nonchalant shrug and settled down next to her. They cautiously laid down on the bare earth and huddled under the thick and scratchy, yet warm blanket.

Toastini had thought that she would not be able to fall asleep. It was far too cold and her heart was still pounding from exertion. But against all odds, her eyelids slowly drifted shut and she fell into a light slumber.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Her oar hit sediment, startling her. She surveyed the area around her boat; the river water was gone. Toastini sat in a boat on a dry riverbed. Just moments before, she had been fishing in ice cold, flowing water. Hadn't she? She looked in the bucket at her feet. Sure enough, three small fish lay at the bottom. She looked around, trying to figure out where the water had gone. All along the length of the river, there was no water to be found.

Toastini stood up cautiously. She put the oar back into the boat and grabbed her bucket. May as well not leave what little she had caught behind. She gingerly stepped out of the boat and onto the muddy silt. Looking under the boat, she could see that there was no way she could drag it to the edge of the river, should water return. The boat bottom was firmly wedged in the sediment. She sighed and began to walk downriver.

She came upon an inlet that had a few puddles of water. Toastini stopped to stare, witnessing something she had never seen before.

Nearly two dozen black heron stood in the puddles, wings held out around their bodies to form a tent. They looked like tiny black, feathery peasant huts.

She slowly inched closer, wanting to get a better look at the bird mass. While the moist silt muffled her steps, the birds seemed to be aware of her approach regardless. One by one, the birds lifted their heads from above their winged canopy and peered at her with beady and observant eyes. The effect was deeply unsettling.

Their cool eyes assessed her as she stood motionless only a few steps away. After an indeterminate amount of time, the heron's must have decided that Toastini was no threat. They lowered their heads back under their winged tents and began pecking in the puddles.

Toastini noticed with surprise that as they pecked and ate, the puddles began to dry up around their bony feet. Did the herons cause the entire river to dry up? Toastini scowled at the thought. How could that be possible? Toastini knelt to the ground, muddying up her knees. She leaned over to get a look at the birds’ feet and feeding activity from their point of view.

In an instant, the birds’ heads snapped up. They held their wings out and began to walk towards her in a synchronized fashion. Before she could jump up and run, the black birds descended upon her.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:44 am

Toastini stirred in her sleep, a cold breeze moved across her exposed face. She started to curl under the too-small blanket when something caught her attention. She heard a little squeak emitting from Guillemette. She opened her eyes slowly, peering out through slits. A man crouched over Guillemette, holding a blade to her neck. Her eyes were wide with fear and her lower lip trembled. Toastini's heart accelerated at the realization that they were being robbed. Dammit! She thought. Her blood started to boil in anger. She just wanted a night of rest. Was that too much to ask?

She noticed movement behind the thief. Renouart was awake and aware of the robbery. He was tip toeing across the camp site, armed with a stick. Toastini's breath caught. The fool! He'll get himself killed! She lay frozen for a moment, waiting for the exact moment to act.

A twig snapped under Renouart's foot when he was only one step away from the thief. The man whiped his head around, his bladed hand followed suit. His blade slashed across Renouart's cheek. Renouart's stick came down on the thief's shoulder and broke in half. The thief yelled out a curse in Spanish and jumped off of Guillemette. Guillemette lay motionless, clutching the blanket up to her chin, eyes still wide. Renouart clapped a hand over his bleeding wound and took one step back in reflex. Toastini didn't wait for a better moment.

She sprang up from under the blanket, a dagger in each hand. Get away from him! She howled, voice thick with rage.

The man looked over his shoulder in surprise. He flashed a gruesome grin at Toastini before pouncing on Renouart. The two men tumbled to the ground and wrestled for the upper hand for a few seconds. The thief bounded up, clutching Renouart's leather pouch in his hand. He held it up in the air for Toastini to see, proud grin still plastered on his pocked face. He spun on his heels and ran.

Not a chance in hell, you mangy scoundrel! Toastini sprinted after the man, cursing the damned tunic the entire time. If she were wearing britches, she could have caught him by now. With a breath of frustration, Toastini stopped running. She could see she would not catch up to him. She narrowed her eyes and held her right arm behind her head. With a short yelp, she threw a dagger as hard as she could.

With a satisfying 'thwack!' the dagger planted itself in the thief's right shoulder blade. Toastini grinned wickedly and ran up to the man.

He knelt on the mossy forest floor, grunting as he tried in vain to remove the dagger with one hand. The other still clutched Renouart's purse. He looked back at Toastini as she approached. He started to scramble up to his feet and stagger away.

Ah, ah! I don't think so. 'Thwack', her second dagger wedged itself in his left shoulder blade. The man let out a yell that was equal parts anger and pain. Toastini savored it. This man would pay for stealing from her friends. She walked slowly up to the man who had fallen back down on his knees. She grabbed the handle of the dagger on the right and leaned down closer to the man. Give me the purse. She didn't care what language he spoke. Surely he would understand her intent. She gave the dagger a slight nudge.

The man groaned in pain. Puta! He spat out in fury.

Toastini barked out a loud cackle. Not for a long time now, pendejo. She pointed through the trees at the campsite. She hissed in the man's face, Clerigo!

The Spaniard had the decency to look surprised. He attempted to lift his right hand to cross himself. Or so Toastini thought. When she saw the moonlight glint across his blade, she realized that he was feebly attempting to attack her. Toastini laughed again, this time with malice. Too little, too late, fool.

She yanked the left blade out of his back without ceremony. Blood poured out like a crimson river down his back. She pulled the right blade out more slowly. With a move that was quicker than she gave him credit for, he reached back and grabbed her wrist. If it is a fight you want, it is a fight you shall get! She yanked her arm free from his weak grasp and walked in front of the kneeling man. She looked into his dark eyes and saw a loss of humanity.

She stared down at the man and had little remorse. He would have killed her two friends for a pouch of coins. Without another thought, she brought the bloodied dagger swiftly into his gut, right under the ribcage. It took nearly all her strength to drive it in. She leaned into the dying man and whispered into his ear, Never steal from a woman who has nothing to lose.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:40 am

She stood there, leaning into the dead thief for longer than she could measure. Her breathing was labored, the fight taking nearly all of her energy. Certain that the thief's soul had passed, in one fluid movement she stepped back and removed the dagger. He fell face first into the soft earth. She knelt down and wiped her daggers clean on his sleeve. She placed them both in her boots. She searched the man and stripped him of any valuables. She found a small leather pouch at his hip that held nearly 50 gold coins. She also took the small blade that he had used to cut Renouart. Finally, she found Renouart's purse at the man’s side. He must have dropped it during their scuffle.

Kneeling in the moss, Toastini poured all of the gold from the thief's purse into Renouart's bag. She wondered how long it would take for him to realize that he now carried a much heavier load than before. The thought brought a happy smile to her dirty and tired face.

She slowly stood up and without looking back, she returned to the campsite.

Guillemette sat at Renouart's side, gently daubing his cheek with a remnant of the blanket. Both looked pale, in shock and frightened, but in otherwise good condition. When they heard her approach, they immediately tensed, expecting the thief had returned.

She gave them an easy smile. Well, that was exciting! She said breezily. I got your money back, Renouart. She tossed the pouch at Renouart's feet.

He leaned down to pick it up, stunned. Thank you, mademoiselle. How?

It took nearly all of her determination and willpower to keep the feral look out of her eyes. I informed him that you are a priest. Most Spanish are superstitious, Jah-fearing people. He gave me the purse and left. He wasn't happy about it, mind you. Luckily for all of us, he was more concerned about his salvation than money. The lie seemed to flow easily off of her tongue. The fact was, lying to Renouart and Guillemette pained her more than the injury she had sustained some months back. Toastini did not make a habit of lying to people. Especially not those who were important to her.

Renouart gave Guillemette a questioning look. She quickly translated Toastini's explanation for him. His face brightened and he smiled at Toastini. Thank Jah!

Toastini smiled tightly and turned toward the horses. She could not meet his eyes.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:32 pm

The night sky was lightening in color. Thanks to the excitement, I don't think I will be getting any more shut eye tonight. How about you two? Toastini asked Guillemette as she fiddled with Molly Malone's saddle.

Guillemette glanced at Renouart, whose cheek was beginning to scab up. I do not think we will be able to sleep anymore tonight either. She said ruefully.

Toastini gave a tight smile as she untied the horses reigns from the tree. Well, the sun will be rising in less than an hour. I would say we got a good five hours of sleep. Not too bad, all things considered. Also, getting an early start means that we should make it to Honfleur before sunset. Toastini looked directly at Renouart. Feeling better? Ready to go to Honfleur?

Renouart smiled crookedly, favoring one side of his face.

Toastini returned his smile and led his horse to him. Sadly, he would have to attach the cart himself again. She had yet to figure out the confounded thing. Guillemette folded the two blankets and returned them to the cart. Toastini fished out the bundle of salt pork and bread from her satchel. She had never been more grateful for stale bread before in all her life. Of course, choking it down without a piping hot mug of tea would be a chore, but she would work past the difficulty. She tore the bread into three hunks, giving a section to her companions. She did the same with the salt pork. They ate quickly and voraciously, the events of the night having no effect on their appetite.

Wiping salt remnants on her tunic, Toastini walked to her horse. I think it would be prudent if we went around Lisieux instead of passing through. We will have plenty of time for rest and nourishment in Honfleur. Getting no argument from the other two, the trio then silently mounted their horses and rode back to the main road that would lead them around Liseux.
The ride was an arduous one. If Toastini didn't have the map in front of her and the sun high in the sky, she would have been sure that they were riding in circles. All the trees had started to look the same! Her arse was sore; she was hungry and had a slight headache. What she needed was a strongly brewed mug of tea. What she wanted was a large mug of ale or whiskey. The closer they got to Honfleur, the more anxious she was for the ride to be over. Of course, she would soon be stuck on a boat for a long period of time. She would inevitably pine for feeling the wind rush through her hair as she rode a horse a few weeks into the trip home.

Toastini idly thought of home and all it meant to her. She curiously wondered how her corn fields were doing. They were most likely completely grown over and unrecognizable. She had not made arrangements for their upkeep. On the contrary, she had actually sold one plot to the university rector. She then wondered about the university and if she would continue her studies upon her return. For the first time in months, a grey cloud of foreboding surrounded her. She felt her heart grow heavy as she realized that her time left in this realm was not long. While she did feel remarkably well today, her nights were usually fitful and feverish. Breathing did not come easy and she was getting thinner by the day, no matter how much salt pork she ate. Even though typically, she didn't have an appetite to speak of. Against her wishes, she could feel the grey cloud of despondency begin to envelope her.

Just as she felt herself circling around in a whirlpool of dejected thoughts, she saw the gates to Honfleur. Just beyond the gates, she saw the glittering ocean and sea birds dancing in the air. A stupid grin crept on her face and let out an excited yelp. She kicked her heels into the horse and galloped the remaining distance.

Last edited by Toasti Jen on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:00 am

They slowed their horses down to a trot as they made their way into Honfleur. It was a bustling port town, with many inns, taverns, churches and markets.

Where should we stay for the evening? Toastini asked the two relative locals.

Guillemette's eyes widened with excitement. St. Catherine's church is newly built. Stories of its beauty and grandeur spread across France quickly. There is also St. Stephen's cathedral. It is older, but still quite beautiful.

Toastini used a fair amount of willpower to abstain from rolling her eyes. We could also stay in a regular inn for average people. Toastini suggested helpfully. What about that place? She pointed to a stately grey building on a hillside, overlooking the ocean and the River Seine.

Ah. Le Ferme Saint Simeon. Tres beautiful. Renouart commented. Horse bed also.

Toastini smiled widely, both at the fact that they would be staying at a place that beautiful and because Renouart's butchering of the English language was simply charming. Is that ok, Guillemette? I am betting St. Simeon has whiskey, whereas St. Catherine most likely does not.Toastini waggled her eyebrows in an effort to be persuading.

That sounds lovely, Toastini. Perhaps I will have a drink as well while we are here. Instantly, Guillemette's face flushed with her confession.

Toastini let out a giddy laugh. Sounds wonderful! I think I shall change into a nice dress, if we are making an evening of it. Let's head up the hill and check in!

She urged Molly Malone up the road to the well landscaped manor. It had both a humble and stately appearance. A doorman wearing a very strange and elaborate uniform stood under the main entrance with a pleasant smile on his face.

Bonjour, Mademoiselle. Avez-vous besoin de votre cheval prises pour les écuries? The man said jovially.

Toastini dismounted and greeted the man with a sheepish smile. Hello. Je ne parle pas français. Je suis Irlandais.

The short, oddly dressed man stepped up to Toastini and bowed slightly. Pardon me, Miss. Do you need your horse taken to the stables? He repeated in accented English.

Toastini's face lit up in surprise. You speak English! How wonderful! Yes, I will need the horses to be placed in the stables. Those two slow people are joining me. Our horses can be stabled together.

The doorman grinned. Yes, most speak English in Honfleur. This town does much business with England and Norway. We have plenty of room in the stables for your horses. How many bedrooms do you require?

Three, if you have them available. And, do they have baths? Toastini asked hopefully.

Yes, Mademoiselle. All rooms in Le Ferme Saint Simeon are complete with baths. We also boast a wonderful cabaret* with food, drink and entertainment fit for a king. The man gave Guillemette and Renouart a look as they approached. There are a few convents nearby, if your companions would feel more comfortable.

Toastini pursed her lips, wondering why he made the distinction about the other two and not her. She still wore the habit. She slid her hand casually along her neck and collar bone. She looked down in a snap. The crucifix was gone. She must have lost it in the scuffle with the thief. The doorman must have just assumed that she was a plainly dressed traveler. She met the man's eyes. I suppose it would seem that way, but they will be comfortable here.

Neither of us have taken our vows yet, Monsieur. The window of opportunity for us to partake in such earthy delights such as a cabaret is still open.
Guillemette said as she walked up.

The man cleared his throat and rolled on his toes, hands clasped behind his back. He hid a smile. I am sorry for the assumption, mademoiselle. If you will hitch your horses to the post, I will show you inside. Once you are in your rooms, I will take the horses to the stables around back. My name is Yves, I am the innkeeper here. If you have any needs or desires, let me know. I will try my best to accommodate your wishes.

The three hitched their horses and retrieved what little personal belongings they had and followed Yves into the building.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:44 am

We have many guest rooms here at the Saint Simeon. It must be a popular week because we are nearly at capacity. But I do have three rooms that will be most accommodating for you. Yves stopped in front of two rooms on the fourth floor and held an arm out to Guillemette and Renouart. Monsieur, Mademoiselle. Your rooms. And for you, right this way. He led Toastini down the hall three doors down. He held the door open. I think this room shall suit your needs.

Toastini walked into a modest sized room that made up for its lack of space in fine decor. The stone flooring had a thick Persian rug laid out that took up nearly all of the floor space. Its intricate designs and bold color palate pleased Toastini's senses. The large bed was covered by dark blue velvet blanket. Several pillows leaned against the carved oak headboard. A large tapestry adorned the wall behind the bed. In the corner of the room, just out of sight of the window, sat a very large tub. A vanity complete with a hairbrush and comb was placed next to the bath.

Toastini held in her delight. She smiled pleasantly at the innkeeper. This room will do just fine, Yves. I will be paying for my companions rooms as well. In addition to any and all meals and drinks during our stay.

And how long will that be, mademoiselle?

No longer than two days. Yves, as you can clearly see, I am in desperate need of some fine clothing. Is there a seamstress nearby?Toastini inquired.

Yves' eyes lit with joy. Bien Sur! Of course! My daughter, Aurelie is a very talented seamstress. Her couturière shop is on the first floor.

That is excellent news, Yves. I think I shall go down now and pick out a suitable dress. Then I will return and freshen up for the evening. When is dinner served?

The dinner show begins at sundown every night. I will have hot water sent up at once. Yves answered.
Toastini found the seamstress shop easily. She was skeptical on what could possibly be offered in a hotel seamstress shop, one that was run by the innkeepers daughter no less. But upon walking into the crowded little room, she realized that she had been mistaken with her assumptions.

The room was filled with bolts of the finest, most vibrant fabrics Toastini had ever seen. Silks, wool, cotton, shiny, warm, thick, sensual- it was all here. She simply
stood, mouth agape, in the middle of the room for a few moments.

Puis-je vous aider?
A woman who was possibly Toastini's age popped out from behind a wall of fabrics. She was impossibly thin, had very light red hair and huge green eyes. She also had her fathers rather large nose and chin.

Toastini smiled. Oh, hello. I am in need of a dress. Obviously. Do you speak English?

Oui, I speak English. The woman's eyes wandered down Toastini's body, assessing her size. What kind of dress do you need? Formal, for church, wedding?

Toastini bit back a laugh. No, no wedding. I would like a dress for the cabaret tonight. All I have is this boring and dirty frock. Hardly acceptable for polite society, wouldn't you agree?

Aurelie smiled politely. I have a few dresses that may fit you. You are very thin. I thought the English liked their women to be plump.

Toastini smiled widely, exposing her teeth. The smile did not reach her eyes. I am not English. And you aren't exactly curvy yourself. Toastini mimicked Aurelie's eye movements, sweeping her bone-thin frame.

The seamstress sniffed. I have consumption. Besides, thin is en vogue.

Toastini's face softened. I too have consumption. She let out a weary sigh. I know it is in fashion, but I do miss my breasts. They were exceptionally beautiful.

Aurelie met Toastini's eyes and giggled. She put her hand to her mouth as she laughed. She confessed, I miss mine too! Come, the dresses are this way.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Aurelie led Toastini into a backroom that was filled with many dresses and men’s suits. Since I tend to the needs of many travelers, I make it a habit to have several dresses already made. Have a look around.

Toastini gazed at the many dresses around the room. She skimmed past the practical, everyday dresses and gravitated to the fine gowns. Her hands flitted across the velvets and silks. She didn’t rush the decision making process. Serendipity would lead her to the dress she was meant to wear.

Serendipity did not disappoint. She spotted a lovely red gown, but was disappointed to see that it was much too large for her. Just behind it hung a chocolate brown and gold gown. It had drop sleeves but a fairly modest neckline, allowing Toastini to feel both sensual and covered at the same time. Aurelie may think that jutting ribs were the all the fashion rage, but Toastini had a different taste. She no longer had curves to flaunt, so she would keep her delicate frame covered. Well, mostly covered. The gown featured a front split and double layered sleeves, lined with gold brocade fabric. The chocolate velvet featured a fleur de lis motif. Thick gold fabric framed the neckline. Toastini let her fingers trace down the sleeve. It was exquisite.

I will take this one, Aurelie. It is truly remarkable. You are a very gifted seamstress. Toastini enthused. I will also take three chemise and two overdresses.

Aurelie beamed with pride. That gown will look very nice on you, mademoiselle. Do you need any shoes to go with it?

Toastini’s lips twisted. She was completely unprepared for a fine evening out. She had nothing! Luckily, she did have gold. Yes, I will take a pair of the plain black shoe. And a pair of the boots. I could use a new pair.

Aurelie’s eyes lit as she realized the size of sale she was about to make. I will bring the waist in a little on the gown and have them sent to your room within the hour.

Toastini retrieved several gold coins out of her purse. Aurelie, I am going to send a young nun by the name of Guillemette down here. I will pay for whatever she wants. She will need boots and britches to start. And several chemise and overdresses.

Aurelie simply nodded, already lost in altering the gown. Of course, mademoiselle.

Toastini smiled softly and returned to her room.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 am

Just as Yves had promised, the bath was filled and steaming. Toastini closed the door behind her and sighed blissfully. She immediately disrobed, tossing the filthy and ugly habit in the corner. She stepped into the deliciously warm water and eased her body into it. She noticed a small pouch floating in the water; upon closer examination she determined it to be filled with rose petals. She also noticed a hunk of rose scented soap that sat perched on the edge of the bath. Toastini unwound her hair and completely submerged herself under. The water pushed on her ears and instantly the world was silent.

She simply lay there, holding her breath and hearing nothing. It felt as though the world had stopped moving around her. If only she could stay like this forever. Her lungs began to yell for air. Toastini ignored their pleas. She could have sworn the only thing she could hear was her blood pounding through her veins. Lying under the water, it was the first time she had felt peace in a very long time.

Her torso burst out of the water and she gasped for air. She began to cough as the cool air stung her starved lungs. Once her coughing fit subsided, she began to lather herself in earnest. All she could think of was that Spanish thief and looking into his jet black eyes as his soul had left his body. If she scrubbed her skin just a little bit harder, perhaps she would be rid of the thoughts of him. She ran the soap through her hair, which had bits of twig and pine needles after days of riding and a night of sleeping on the forest floor.

When the water had cooled, she stepped out and into a robe that hung on a peg near the tub. She sat at the vanity and combed out her damp hair.

There was a knock at the door. A female servant announced her presence. Toastini called her in. The young woman entered with a very large bundle in her arms, the gown draped across the bundle beautifully. The servant placed the bundle carefully on the bed, bowed her head slightly and bid a hasty retreat.

Toastini finished getting ready by applying oil to her hair and powder to her face, both items having been provided on the vanity. She slowly stepped into the dress. It fit her frame perfectly. She slipped her feet into the flat black shoes and examined herself in the mirror on the vanity. Her hair was nearly dry. It fell over her shoulders and down her torso in dark, shiny waves. The dark color nearly matched the chocolate velvet of her dress.

She had to admit, she looked rather fetching. She was fairly certain that she was going to catch the eyes of many a lad tonight. Since no possible improvements could be made and the sun was starting its descent below the horizon, Toastini made her way downstairs to the Cabaret theatre.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am

Toastini walked confidently into the darkened room in which the cabaret would take place. The room had filled up quite nicely, Toastini clearly was running just a little behind. She spotted Renouart and Guillemette at a table near the front and close to the stage. Toastini bustled to the table, taking in the two young people as she approached. Guillemette had obviously paid a visit to Aurelie’s shop. She wore a simple black chemise with a soft green surcoat over top. The effect was simple, effortless and lovely. Her long blond hair was worn in a single plait down her back. She had a very rosy glow on her cheeks. Toastini guessed it had less to do with powder and more to do with the lad who sat across the table from her. Renouart had changed into a clean brown tunic and taken a comb to his hair. His floppy curls lay pressed to the side of his head with oil. He too wore the same rosy glow on his cheeks.

I trust you haven’t been waiting long? Toastini inquired. She pulled out a chair next to Guillemette.

Renouart stood up as soon as he noticed Toastini. Which was a few moments later than she had appeared, due to his preoccupation with a certain blond at the table, she noticed.

Toastini, you look simply beautiful! Guillemette gushed.

She smiled, pleased. Many thanks. I felt as though this evening was worthy of special effort. You look exceptionally lovely yourself, Guillemette. I see you found Aurelie and her shop?

Guillemette nodded and blushed prettily, smoothing the skirt of her dress.

As if by magic, a servant brought a tray with three glasses of red wine. He also placed a medium sized bowl of warm water with rosemary sprigs floating in it on the table. A small rag hung on the side.

Toastini thanked the servant as she moistened her fingertips in the fragrant, warm water. The pomp and formality was very impressive and really lent itself to Toastini’s excitement for the evening.

She had only taken a single sip of the rich red wine when a silver platter covered with chunks of roasted rabbit and root vegetables was placed before her. The servants bid a hasty retreat and a quartet of musicians took their place on stage. A stout fellow with the longest mustache Toastini had ever seen waddled on stage.

He beamed a wide grin at the now-filled room and boomed loudly, Bonsoir, mesdames et messieurs! Mon nom est Alfonse. Je suis le maître de cérémonie. Permettez moi de vous présenter nos artistes.

A trio of women strutted on stage. They wore elaborate, revealing yet oddly appropriate dresses. The first woman was as trim as Aurelie was, with a curtain of shimmering blond hair that hung down her back. Her dress was a vibrant cobalt blue. The middle woman was a very curvy lass with a tightly curled mop of red hair. She wore a dress of emerald green, with a plunging neckline that gave everyone an eyeful of her ample bosom. The third woman was slightly more slender than the red-head, but also boasted luscious curves. Her black hair was pulled up into a loose bun. The off the shoulder red dress she wore accented her creamy skin.

Chanter et danser pour nous ce soir sont Lydie, Euphémie et Desiree. Ils vont commencer à la nuit hors en chantant une chanson. Amusez-vous! The man bowed deeply and ambled off the stage.

As the women positioned themselves to begin singing, Toastini raised an eyebrow and leaned closer to Guillemette.

Guillemette smiled and whispered into Toastini’s ear, The master of ceremonies’ name is Alfonse. The women singing are Lydie, in the blue, Euphemie in the green and Desiree in the red. They are going to start by singing a Chanson, which is typically sung without instrumental accompaniment.

Toastini mouthed a ‘thank you’ and sat upright in her chair. As beautiful as the women were, their looks were no comparison to their angelic voices. The melodies permeated the entire room; the entire audience enraptured by the performance.

At the end of the song, applause thundered throughout the room. The band began playing a hearty tune and the performers began to sing and dance, taking over the stage with their moves and their presence. Shrill whistles, cat calls and approving claps were sent from the audience to the stage. Toastini laughed with delight. She looked around the room, enjoying being amongst revelry.

Her eyes stopped scanning the room when she noticed a table of roughneck men, most of which were being especially vociferous. One lad in particular struck her fancy. He was leaned back in his seat, exuding an air of casual confidence. He held a mug of ale in one hand. The other arm was draped casually over the back of the chair next to him. He was also looking around the room, merely observing.

Their eyes met from across the room. Despite feeling like a child who had been caught snatching a pastry before supper, she did not avert her gaze. Her heart fluttered in her chest as he trained his hooded eyes on her. A lazy, sly smile played upon his lips. Toastini’s own mouth turned slightly up at the corners in response.

The song ended and the audience burst into collective applause, nearly everyone getting to their feet for a standing ovation. Guillemette informed Toastini that intermission had begun. A certain tension-filled gaze from two sides of the room was swiftly broken.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Toastini stood up and excused herself from the table. She wove her way through several tables that were populated with people of varying levels of intoxication. A pang of jealousy hit her stomach. She was far behind on her drinking. She had enjoyed the roast rabbit far to much to be sidetracked by libations. As blasphemous as that felt to think, it was true.

She reached the bar and gave the bartender a winning smile. Whiskey, please. She asked succinctly. She assumed that the rest of the help spoke English, but she wasn’t going to take any chances.

The bartender promptly poured Toastini a healthy glass of whiskey and served it to her with a smile. My name is Etienne. Let me know if you need anything else.

Toastini merely nodded, the glass already to her lips. The whiskey was good, quite good for France. If she ever had the misfortune of returning back to this jahforsaken country, she would make a point to stop at La Ferme, for the whiskey alone.

Toastini took a seat on a stool at the bar. She figured that she may as well make herself comfortable, as her first glass was nearly empty. Before she could gain Etienne’s attention, a deeply timbered voice tickled her ear.

Can I buy you another?

Toastini turned toward the voice. The man who she had exchanged glances with, the one from the table of roughnecks was standing within arms reach of her. She could see now that he had crystalline blue eyes. They bored into her, waiting for her response.

She moistened her lips and quickly regained the composure that she had not been aware that she had lost. That would be lovely. She raised the glass and caught Etienne’s eyes.

The man raised a hand that held a coin and said, One for me as well. He slid easily onto the stool next to Toastini. He didn’t say a word until his glass was placed before him. Once he had taken a few generous gulps off the top, he looked back at Toastini. You are not from here, I am guessing?

Toastini raised an eyebrow and met his gaze directly. You are correct, I am not from here. I am from Ireland. You? You do not sound French.

He wrinkled his nose. You are also correct. I am not French. I am from Stavanger, Norway. I captain a ship that transports wood from Stavanger to Honfleur.

Toastini took a drink from her glass and watched the man as he spoke. Up close, she was able to see all of his physical idiosyncrasies. His face was slightly angular in shape, in contrast with her very round face. He had a wide gash of a mouth with fairly thin lips. He seemed to have more teeth than the average person. That or they were just very crowded in his oral cavity. He had a long Roman nose that seemed to bring all of the other mix-matched features together in a very masculine way. Jaw-length, sandy colored hair framed his face in loose waves. His body was slender and lean. The sleeves of his shirt were rolled up to his elbow to reveal sinewy forearms. His features may not have been categorized as traditionally handsome, but Toastini found the sum of the parts to be disarmingly attractive. Suddenly, she realized that she had been staring for far longer than he had been talking. She blushed lightly and turned her attention to her nearly empty glass. I have never met a Norwegian. She muttered.

The man laughed softly. I hope I am able to represent the country well.

Toastini smiled coquettishly. You are doing fine thus far. She took another sip, then placed the now empty glass on the bar. My name is Toastini Kennedy. It is a pleasure to meet you.

The man turned to fully face Toastini. He took her hand and planted a kiss on the top. My name is Aksel Erlingsen. And the pleasure is all mine. He turned his head to Etienne, who was busy pouring several mugs of ale for a raucous group of men. When you get a moment, keep them coming. He turned back to Toastini. I hope you don’t mind.

Toastini raised both eyebrows and shook her head. I certainly don’t mind. It has been a long few days. I am happy to fully relax in good company with whiskey.

Aksel looked at Toastini closely. What brings you to the fine town of Honfleur, pen dame?

Toastini smiled as a finger casually traced the lip of her empty glass. I find myself in Honfleur to board my ship and return home. Hopefully.

Hopefully? You are unsure if you will go home? He asked.

I am unsure if the boat that I came in on is still docked here. I...um, events occurred that prevented me from sticking to the original schedule. She answered vaguely. She liked this man, at this point more for his intriguing looks and confidence than anything else. But that didn’t mean that she needed to divulge him on why she was in France or what she had actually been doing.

We just docked two days ago. I am fairly familiar with what boats are docked here. Perhaps you can tell me the name of the boat or the flag it sails under?

Etienne presented the two with four filled to the brim glasses of whiskey. That should last you for a little while. He shot them both a smile and hurried off to tend to other patrons.

Toastini took a drink and answered. It sails under NNGO flags. She met his icy blue gaze and waited for his reaction.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:47 am

Aksel’s mouth twisted in a funny smirk. Ah, I see. You are clearly a woman of many mysteries. You sail with the NNGO? I have heard of them, even in Norway we have heard of the NNGO. Some good things, some bad. He added quickly.

It was Toastini’s turn to smirk. I can well imagine. But that didn’t answer my original inquiry--is there an NNGO ship in the docks? She asked hopefully.

Aksel nodded quickly. There are actually two NNGO ships docked in Honfleur. Surely one is yours.

Toastini put her hand on Aksel’s bare forearm and gave it a squeeze. Oh, that is such a relief to hear! She kept her hand on his arm a moment longer than required before reluctantly putting her hand back on her glass.

Toastini and Aksel continued on with their banter till the show began again and intermission concluded. They both turned their heads toward the stage, but must have come to the conclusion that while Lydia, Euphemie and Desiree were talented and entertaining, they preferred the company and conversation of each other.

And so the evening went; conversation and whiskey flowed quickly and easily. Toastini visibly sagged when Alfonse ambled back on stage and made a grand announcement, which was greeted by another enthusiastic and loud standing ovation.

Aksel’s eyes twinkled as he said, Alfonse has just bid us all a good night. The show is over, kjæreste.

Toastini lifted her chin in an effort to not look quite so despondent. She was tipsy and having far too much fun for the evening to already be over. Would you care to walk with me along the grounds of the Inn?

Aksel smiled warmly and traced a hand down her back. I think that would be wonderful.

Toastini’s body warmed under his touch. Aksel retrieved a flask from inside of his jacket with his free hand. He held it out to Etienne. Monsieur, please fill this before we leave.

Certainly. Etienne said, giving Toastini a knowing wink. He filled the generously sized flask with the whiskey they had been drinking all night. He handed the flask back to Aksel. That should take care of both of you for the evening.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Aksel stood, putting the flask safely back in his jacket. He held out an elbow to Toastini. Shall we? He asked.

Have a good night Etienne! Toastini called out jovially to the very attentive bartender. She placed her hand in the crook of Aksel’s arm and slid off of her bar stool. The lad was at least a head taller than she was, and she wasn’t exactly minuscule in height. She looked up at him and gave him a winning smile.

As they joined the throngs of people exiting the room, Toastini craned her neck looking for Guillemette and Renouart. She wasn’t as much concerned about their whereabouts, she wanted to let them know that she would be out, most likely past their bedtime. Toastini visibly snickered.

Aksel looked down at Toastini with an amused look on his face. What is so funny, Toastini?

She bit her lip as she looked up at him. She was either drunk or smitten, because the way he said her name was simply adorable. My travel companions. They are clergy. One is a young nun and one is a young monk who has yet to take his vows. Toastini stood on her toes, putting her mouth close to his ear. She whispered dramatically, I think they are sweet on each other, but given their innocence, they are blind as to what to do.

Aksel chuckled softly as they walked down the corridor of the inn. Have you thought about giving the nun some advice?

Toastini leaned back and gave him a mischevious, quizical look. Me, give advice about love? I am hardly an expert. Far from it, actually.

Aksel held a door open for her. They stepped out into the gardens, the brisk evening air chilling their skin. Hmm, I find that very hard to believe. A woman as beautiful as yourself surely has learned lessons of the heart.

Toastini let out a thoughtful sigh. She leaned her head on Aksel’s arm as they walked slowly on the pebble path. She spotted a wooden bench that overlooked the River Seine and the ocean. Let’s sit there. She gave his arm a tug.

They made themselves comfortable on the bench. They sat and enjoyed the view in silence for a few moments. Toastini eventually looked at Aksel, a roguish look dancing in her eyes.

She leaned in closely, parting her lips slightly. She peered out from under her lashes and put a hand on the collar of his coat, letting her hand trail down his chest. She could see his heart beat in the vein in his neck. His pulse had quickened. She put her face in the crook of his neck and inhaled deeply. She slowly leaned back to her seat, keeping her sultry gaze locked on his eyes.

A sly smile played upon her lips as she popped the top off of Aksel’s flask. She took a healthy swig, still keeping her eyes trained on his.

Aksel’s eyes widened in surprise. You sneaky woman! I thought you were...you took my flask! He leaned closer and poked her sides, tickling her.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:35 am

Toastini squirmed, but not to get away from Aksel’s tickles. She laughed heartily and handed him the flask. I will share. She offered in a mocking tone.

Oh, you will share, will you? Toastini, you are so generous! Generous on top of being beautiful, mysterious, flirty, possibly a bit dangerous... Aksel trailed off as he took a drink.

Toastini propped an elbow on his shoulder and twirled a strand of his hair in her fingers. Go on...

Aksel laughed, nearly choking on the whiskey. He stared at her, his crystalline blue eyes looking deep into her own. His laughter subsided. Your eyes are like the stormy North Sea. He brushed a lock of dark hair out of her face. You never answered my question earlier.

What question was that? Toastini asked softly.

I said that you seemed like a woman who has learned lessons of the heart. Aksel remarked. His fingers continues to play in Toastini’s hair.

Toastini moistened her lips. That doesn’t sound like a question.

Aksel said nothing, only kept his face impassive and continued to look at her.

Toastini looked down before straightening herself on the bench, so she was facing the sea and the night sky. You know how it is, Aksel. A sailors life. Out at sea for weeks, maybe months at a time. When you finally reach your destination, who knows how long you will be there. For me, for the NNGO....we aren’t always exactly welcomed with open arms into towns. Not that I would have it any other way. We are a very tight knit organization. But...they are my family. They are not... She stopped and looked up at the moon. The luminous orb hung high in the nearly cloudless sky. The choppy waves of the sea reflected the incandescent light back.

They are not what? Aksel asked.

She turned her head to face him, looking him square in the eye. Lovers. They aren’t lovers.

Aksel’s gaze was unwavering. He brought a hand up and stroked her cheek. He nodded, then looked out to the sea. I understand, Toastini. My father ran the wood transport service that I know operate. I took over when he died. I was a young boy, not a man at all. I have been living a nomadic lifestyle since then. I was so young, I didn’t even have hair on my chest yet! Aksel let out a deep laugh. He sobered quickly. Fleeting moments. That is all we get with this life, ya?

Toastini’s body was buzzing. Her jaded mind would have written it off as the whiskey getting the better of her, but her hopeful heart was more optimistic. She turned her torso to face him, really looking at Aksel.

Without letting thoughts cloud her judgment, Toastini clasped both hands on either side of his face and kissed him intensely. In the heat of the moment, she had overestimated the distance between his mouth and hers, so her lips squished hard against his. Realizing this, she eased up slightly, to kiss him properly. His hands snaked around her waist and drew her close.

She slowly ended the kiss, more for the need for air than anything. She leaned her forehead against his as she caught her breath. Fleeting moments. She murmured.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 7:05 pm

She led him into her room, which was nearly dark save for a lone candle burning on the vanity. The servants must have lit the candle when they emptied her bath. She was glad they did. She didn’t want to think of how humiliating it would be if she were to trip over something in front of mixed company.

Toastini shut the door behind her quietly, and simply stared at the most recent object of her affections as he stood in her room, beautifully accented by the flickering orange of a single flame.

Aksel slid his coat off and hung it on the wall over the robe by the bath. He slid the vanity chair to the middle of the room, just at the food of the bed. He took a seat, crossing one leg over the other knee, he gave his boot a tug, keeping his eyes on Toastini. She remained leaning against the door. He repeated the action, removing the other boot. He tucked them under the bed and leaned back in the chair. He stared at her for another moment or two before letting out a soft chuckle. He sat fully upright and removed his shirt. For whatever reason, he tossed this article of clothing on the floor without ceremony. His eyes were hooded, revealing only one emotion: wanton desire. Toastini. He beckoned, voice deep. Come here.

Toastini lowered her lashes and matched his hooded gaze. She slowly left her post at the door and walked to the middle of the room. His skin was effulgent under the soft filtered moonlight that streamed in through the window. He reached out a hand, she took it without hesitation. He drew her to him, wrapping his arms around her hips. He placed his chin on her lower belly and looked up at her. The moonlight gave his eyes a silvery hue. Vakker kvinne. He murmured as he reached up and placed both hands on her face. He gave a soft tug and craned his neck up. Toastini leaned down, meeting his lips halfway.

An arm wrapped around her waist and gently guided her down to his lap. She steadied herself by holding on to the arm wrapped around her. Once firmly perched on his left leg, her hand slowly trailed up his arm, across his collar bone, then down his chest. Her fingertips teased his lower belly, just at the waistband of his trousers. Aksel’s right hand clasped her neck and up the base of her skull, fingers getting lost in a forest of dark hair. His kiss deepened, his left hand tracing a circle at the small of her back.

Her fingers wandered back up his torso, allowing them to linger here and there. Her hand eventually found its way to his neck, reaching around and entwining her own hand in his hair. She brought him closer, not wanting a single ray of moonlight to pass between their bodies. His right hand left the warm nest of her hair and slowly wound down her back, buttocks and thighs. He reached behind her knees and swept her legs up, placing them on his right leg. He let his hand trail back up her body, this time stopping at her rump.

Eventually, he hooked his right arm under her knees and secured his left arm around her middle. In one swift move without breaking the kiss, he stood up and walked to the bed. He gently placed her on the bed. She propped herself up on her elbows and cast him a sultry look. He took a foot in his hand and carefully removed her shoe. He dropped it to the ground and placed her bare foot on his chest while repeated the action on the other foot. The skirt of her dress pooled around her hips.

Once her shoes were off, he placed her feet on the bed, so that his knees were between hers. She asked softly, Will you draw the curtains?

He ran his hands along her legs and nodded. She kept her eyes on his derriere as he walked to the window and closed the curtains, giving privacy for their fleeting moment.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 12:03 am

The curtain had been drawn shut, but not tightly enough to keep out the blindingly bright morning sun. Toastini moaned grumpily and rolled over, bringing the pillow over her head. An arm flopped over her bare, exposed back. Her eyes flew open, suddenly alert. She slowly turned her head toward the body that was attached to the arm.

The entire evening came back to her in a rush. Aksel lay next to her, sound asleep and snoring lightly. She put her head back down on the pillow and let out a contented sigh.

She must have dozed off, because she was brought awake by the sound of a soft knock at her door.

Toastini? A gentle voice asked as the door opened. Guillemette stepped into the bedroom gingerly.

Guillemette! Toastini hissed and she pulled the blanket over Aksel’s bare arse.

Red crept up from underneath Guillemette’s collar and up her face. She turned her body completely around and hung her head in embarrassment. Pardonnez-moi, mademoiselle! I just wanted to make sure you made it to your room last night and to see if you need breakfast.

Toastini stepped out from under the warm covers and went to grab the robe. Aksel’s coat was hung on top, so she grabbed it instead and put it on. She walked to Guillemette and whispered, Guillemette, thank you for checking on me. But you don’t have to fetch my breakfast. She put a reassuring hand on the young woman’s shoulder.

Guillemette turned slightly toward Toastini, careful not to turn toward the bed. Toastini was shocked to see Guillemette’s eyes were filled to the brim with tears. Her dark eyes glistened. Toastini, I...I think I have a problem. She whispered loudly, emotion making it impossible to lower her octave.

Toastini moved closer to Guillemette, instantly sick with worry. What is it? What is wrong, are you ill? Did someone bother you last night? Toastini’s own voice was raising in octave as she interrogated the poor young lass.

Guillemette sniffed and shook her head. No, nothing like that. Her eyes darted toward the bed and back to Toastini’s face. A single, fat tear betrayed Guillemette as it slid down her cheek. I think I am in love with Renouart. She said in a shaky voice.

Toastini sagged against the wall in relief, reigning in her desire to laugh with glee. Oh Guillemette. Honey, I am so happy! I mean, not happy that you are distraught, but happy that you are alright. It is going to be alright! Toastini brought Guillemette in for an embrace. Does he love you in return?

Guillemette’s lower lip trembled and more tears teetered on the edge of her eyelids. I don’t know!

Toastini. Shall I leave? Aksel’s deep voice cut through the room. Guillemette gave a startled ‘meep!’ in response.

No! Toastini turned toward the bed, expression softening as she laid eyes on the man in her bed.

His hair was disheveled, eyes bleary and the blankets were causally heaped around his hips. He looked good enough to eat. He pushed himself up to a seated position and rubbed his eyes. How about I go to the dining hall and order breakfast. You can join me when you are ready.

Toastini gradually dragged her eyes off of the man and looked at Guillemette. Wait for me in the hall. Come in when Aksel leaves and we will talk about this.

Guillemette nodded quickly and scurried out, happy to get out of a room where a naked man was present.

Toastini went to the bed, where Aksel was already slipping his trousers on. Well, that is a sight that would break any lass’s heart. She said ruefully.

He cocked an eyebrow at her as he fastened his belt. What is that?

You, putting your trousers back on. She sauntered over to him, hooking her thumbs in this waistband. She placed her cold bare feet on his warm ones and leaned up for a kiss.

He smoothed her hair down and put his lips to hers, obliging. It looks like you will be dispensing love advice after all.

She made a face, crawled onto the bed and sat crosslegged as he moved around the room to gather his things and get dressed. Her hair looked like a rats nest, dark tangles sticking out in every direction. Aksel’s large coat hung on her frame like she was a child playing dress up.

He sat on the bed next to her to slide his boots on. How do you take your tea? He asked quietly.

With just a touch of cream. I will be down in a moment. She smiled tightly and grabbed his hand as he got off of the bed. Aksel. Thank you.

For what? He asked, giving her hand a squeeze.

For giving me time with Guillemette. She swallowed thickly.

He leaned over and planted a kiss on her nose You are a good woman, Toastini. Even if you think otherwise..

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Guillemette hustled in before the door could even close behind Aksel. She hurried over and sat down on the unmade bed. I am sorry, Toastini. I just don’t know what to do. My heart feels like it is going to split in two. My head won’t stop spinning. He is all I think about. I wake up-Renouart. I go to sleep- Renouart. I dream-Renouart. I don’t know what is happening!She let out a heavy sigh.

Toastini didn’t bother to hide her laughter now that it was just the two of them. Oh sweet young lass. You have got it bad! You, my dear, are in love. It is obvious. And to fight it is futile.

What do I do? Guillemette implored.

You can do two things, Guillemette. If you want it- ‘it’ being love- you go to him and you tell him. You pour out your heart, win or lose. Or,if you don’t want it, you ignore it. And maybe, if you are lucky, it will temper with time or you will fall in love with another. No guarantee on that one though. Toastini smiled beatifically, as if love were really that simple.

That sounds awful! Guillemette wailed.

Toastini laughed heartily and got off the bed to get dressed. It is awful! Why do you think poems, sonnets, plays and songs are written specifically about love? Guillemette, love is splendid, terrifying, euphoric, painful, fun and torturous all at the same time. Toastini dropped Aksel’s coat on the ground and began to tug a chemise over her head. She said in a muffled, wry tone, Why do you think I have avoided it all these years?

It can be avoided? Guillemette asked cautiously.

Toastini’s head poked out of the neckline of the new chemise. Well, yes and no. Love is like a weed in your garden. If you catch it in time, you can nip it while it is a bud and stop the growth. But if you wait too long, soon the weeds will take over your garden. Toastini pulled on one of the new overdresses from Aurelie’s shop. That sounds confusing. I don’t think I am doing a very good job explaining it. My point is, you clearly didn’t nip the feelings in the bud when they first sprouted. Now look at you! You are head over heels! I should have said something when I first noticed.

Guillemette gaped at Toastini, mouth open in shock. You knew?

Toastini shot Guillemette a stolid look. Um, yes? For what it is worth, Guillemette, I am fairly certain that his feelings for you are reciprocated.

For whatever reason, that statement did not make Guillemette feel any better. Her face turned peaked. I don’t feel so well.

Toastini groaned. The chamber pot is in the corner by the bath. Don’t sully up the sheets. Fully dressed, Toastini poured a cup of water for Guillemette from a pitcher on the dresser. Here, this should help.

Guillemette took the cup gladly and sipped. He came into my room last night, after the show. She cast a pallid look at the rumpled sheets on the bed. Nothing happened, physically I mean. We simply sat on the bed and talked all night. We talked about family, moving to the convent, Jah. You. The future. He returned to his room as the sun came up. I paced for a few hours, unable to sleep. Then I came here. Guillemette turned her hopeful eyes to Toastini, as if she held all the answers to hearts problems.

Toastini sat next to Guillemette and took a hand in hers. Guillemette, sweet darling. I know this is new to you. These feelings are very overwhelming. But they are nothing to fear. Love is nothing to fear.

Guillemette’s eyes filled again. It isn’t love that I fear, Toastini. It is the future, a life without Renoaurt. I am going to Ireland with you. I feel myself being called there, more so than my supposed calling to the convent. Following that calling means leaving Renouart behind.

Toastini bit her lip. As long as you are making the trek to Ireland on your own volition and not out of obligation. Toastini sighed heavily. Life out here, life outside of the protective barriers of a convent, it is about hard decisions. Living in a convent is safe. I am sorry to say that, Guillemette, but it is true. It is safe, yet I am wagering that it is largely unsatisfying. That is because we need the hard decisions to grow. The opposite of growth is stagnation. Unfortunately, growth is usually uncomfortable. At least at first. I feel as though I am preaching a sermon.Toastini squeezed Guillemette’s hand and gave her a loving smile. You are a strong woman, Guillemette. I know this.

Guillemette nodded, as though she understood. The faraway look in her eyes told a different story.

Toastini chuckled softly at the confused and naive girl. Now, my head is throbbing. Let’s go downstairs and get some tea and breakfast.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Guillemette informed Toastini that she was more interested in attempting sleep than eating breakfast and excused herself to her room. Toastini made her way down stairs to the dining hall alone.

It was fairly late in the morning, so most diners had finished with breakfast and were now carrying on with their daily business. It wasn’t hard for Toastini to notice that Aksel was not in the dining room as he said he would be. She frowned slightly and tracked down a servant.

Excuse me, ma’am. She tugged on the older woman’s sleeve to get her attention. I am looking for...a friend. He is tall, wearing a dark coat...no, no coat, just a white shirt. Toastini bit her lip and scowled.

The woman knitted her grey brows together and responded in very heavily accented English, Sorry, little English. Here. This for you, I think. The woman thrust a piece of parchment into Toastini’s hand.

Toastini looked down at the parchment. It was an announcement for the Honfleur Christmas Festival. Or so she determined, as it was written in French naturally. Her scowl deepened. What is this? I don’t want this. She held it out to the servant.

The woman clucked her tongue and grabbed the poster. No. Here. She flipped the parchment over. On the back was a handwritten message.

Elskling Toastini,
My crew found me as I ordered the breakfast that we were to share. Our ship is ready for departure. Please enjoy the breakfast. I will come back to Le Ferme to say goodbye when I am able.
~Aksel

The servant pointed to a set table, complete with breakfast platter and piping hot mug of tea. Toastini eyeballed it with lust. She rolled the parchment and tucked it under her arm. She grabbed the mug and took a healthy swig, burning her tongue in the process. She looked at the food and hastily grabbed a small loaf of bread. I will be right back! She called out with urgency to the woman and took off running.

Loaf of bread clutched in one hand, poster in the other, Toastini ran down the hill and toward the docks.

Mademoiselle! Would you like your horse? Yves called out to her retreating body.

While the horse would have been faster transportation, she didn’t want to waste the precious moments waiting for Yves to retrieve the horse from the stables. The mere thought of standing idly in wait caused Toastini to pick up her pace. Her heart pounded and lungs felt as though they might burst.

The sun shined down on Toastini, positioned at high noon. Sea birds lazily surfed the streams of air. These things Toastini didn’t notice. All she noticed was boats coming, going and docked at the Honfleur pier. How would she know which was was his? She thought frantically. She stopped short on the wooden pier to catch her breath and tried to think clearly.

Toastini! A voice called out from her right. She turned, noticing a jetty off of the main pier. A very large boat was at the end, several men bustling about in preparation. She squinted into the sunlight and saw him standing next to the ship.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 am

Aksel! She exclaimed. Forgetting her attempts to catch her breath, Toastini sprinted down the jetty and catapulted into Aksel’s arms. He let out an “oof” with a laugh.

I thought you had gone. She whispered. She wrapped her arms around his neck.

He held her tight and smoothed her hair. Did you get my note? I said I would come back.

She released his neck and stood in front of him. I did get your note. But, I just...

Aksel put a finger under Toastini’s chin and angled her face up towards his. A playful smile tugged at his lips and his eyes twinkled. They creased along the corners, indicating a lifetime of sun and sea exposure. You just what? Couldn’t wait to see me? He placed a soft kiss on her lips.

She leaned in, wanting more than could be allowed on the docks in the mid-afternoon. I brought you some bread. She gasped. But I forgot your coat!

Aksel’s lips tickled her neck. Keep it. The memory of you wearing it and nothing else far exceeds the value of the coat itself.

She laughed as she drew him in for another embrace. I regret that we don’t get one more night together.

I do as well, Kjæreste. Aksel murmured.

Erlingsen! Den havnesjef har sagt vi er klare til avgang. A voice rang out from Aksel’s boat.

Aksel groaned into Toastini’s neck. I must go Toastini. He cupped her face in his hand and stared into her eyes before kissing her deeply. If you are ever in Stavenger...

She nodded numbly. And if you are ever in Ireland... It was just words, they both knew it. But somehow saying them provided a perverse sort of comfort. She clasped his hands that still cupped her face. The sun shined warmly down on the two, but the afternoon winter breeze brought a chill Toastini felt to her bones. She stared into his light blue eyes and imagined a different life for herself. She imagined having a modest home with a large garden and several children playing under a tree. She pictured Aksel returning home from his duties at the dock, rubbing her large belly that was full with another wean. She imagined that home, filled with love and joy and happiness and stability. Normalcy. It was nearly overwhelming, the desire to make that dream real. But it would never happen, especially now. She stood on her toes and kissed him lightly before stepping away. She reached up and brushed a lock of his hair from his face. Goodbye Aksel.

He took her hand and placed the palm to his mouth. The smile had all but disappeared from his eyes. He closed his eyes and murmured into her hand, Goodbye Toastini.

Without further ado, Aksel spun on his heals and walked briskly back to his ship. The crew had already drawn the anchor and waited expectantly for his return to the boat. He boarded; a shaggy haired man pulled in the ropes and the boat began its gradual movement away from the dock.

Toastini’s throat tightened. She squeezed the bread in her hand tightly. She watched as that other life she had imagined sailed away down the river and into the ocean. She watched until it was a mere speck on the horizon and the sun began to follow suit. Eventually, with heavy heart and tired legs, Toastini sat on the edge of the pier. She broke the bread that Aksel had neglected to take into manageable pieces and began tossing them out to the gulls.

They squawked greedily above her head, oblivious to her bleak disposition. She looked up at the grey and white birds with envy. They had it so easy. The birds lived by the sea, their only lifelong objective was to eat, mate and poop on the decks of ships. She angrily threw another chunk at a particularly vociferous bird. The bread plopped into the water anticlimactically. The dumb bird was undeterred and dove in after the hunk.

You are a fool, bird! You can’t have it! It’ll never be yours. Toastini pulled her legs up and rested her chin on her knees. I guess that is it then. She said with resignation to no one in particular. She stood up and stretched, feeling as though she had sat in that spot for a few days at least, heavy and exhausted. She looked around, the sun hadn’t quite dipped below the horizon. Since she was on the docks, she figured that she may as well find the NNGO ships and figure out when to board. It would keep her mind busy on other things, anyway.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 11:44 am

Toastini walked down the pier a few paces before she noticed the familiar NNGO flags flapping high in the breeze. Her heart felt a little bit lighter, knowing that she wasn’t stuck in Honfleur after all. As good as their whiskey was, she still didn’t intend on staying a moment longer than she had to.

Upon approaching the two mightly ships, she realized that they were empty. The crew must be in town or at a nearby tavern, she thought to herself. She turned around and nearly ran into a weathered older man. He smiled widely at her, exposing a missing upper tooth.

Bonjour, mademoiselle. Comment puis-je vous aider? He asked.

She would consider this high on the list of reasons why she was anxious to be back home. She smiled as pleasantly as she could muster. Je ne parle pas français. Anglais seulement.

Oh, oui oui. I spoke English. How help? He mustered.

I will be sailing on one of the NNGO ships. Do you know where the captain is or when they will set sail? She asked, hoping he didn’t get lost in her questions.

He gave a shrug and sighed. His breath was awful. The big NNGO ship gone tomorrow morning. Infant ship...gone later.

Infant ship? She glanced back. One was smaller than the other. She shrugged back at the man, figuring she would just come down in the morning and would be surprised with whatever happened. Alright, thank you. Merci beaucoup. She didn’t wait for a response, which she realized was probably rude. She just didn’t have the patience or interest in further conversation.

As she walked slowly back up the pier, through town and up the hill to La Ferme, exhaustion hit her quickly. Her breathing was labored, bones weary. She knew that she should have supper, but the idea of eating in a loud dining hall made her cringe. She wanted solitude, quiet and sleep. Not necessarily in that order.
Yves was not in his usual place when she arrived back at La Ferme. The sun had just set. She walked in the entryway and saw him ushering patrons into the cabaret auditorium. Having absolutely no interest in attending the show for a second night, Toastini decided to poke her head into the dining hall to see if supper was worth putting off sleep for.

The scents of roast pheasant and boiled fish reached her before she entered the room. Her stomach growled loudly. She acquiesced and decided to have a small supper. In the corner of the room sat Guillemette and Renouart, fully immersed in conversation.

Smiling, she turned in the opposite direction and headed to the bar. She was surprised to see Etienne working the dining hall bar instead of the cabaret bar, and told him as such.

He beamed a winning smile. We take turns working different rooms here. No chance of boredom. What can I get for you, Mademoiselle?

I’d like to order a supper platter, to be delivered to my room on the fourth floor if possible.

Of course. We can do that for you, Toastini. Just one platter? His eyes twinkled playfully.

Toastini let out a wistful sigh. Yes, just one. My friend left this morning sadly.

Ah, I see. Etienne shook his head while wiping a glass with a rag. I do not know how you do it. I need one place to live.

Toastini smiled and didn’t say anything in reply. She simply placed a few coins on the counter and walked away.

She slowly approached Guillemette and Renouart’s table. They were so wrapped in conversation that they did not notice her approach until she stood right next to them.

Toastini! How good to see you! Guillemette exclaimed, cheeks flushed. Please, have a seat and join us.
Guillemette’s brows furrowed in concern. I haven’t seen you all day. You look pale. Are you feeling alright?

Toastini laughed at Guillemette’s questions. I am feeling alright Guillemette. And thank you for the invitation, but I have ordered a platter of food to be delivered to my room. She stopped, face sobering. I hesitate to tell you this, but I received information regarding the NNGO ships. We will set sail tomorrow morning.

The smile remained plastered on Guillemette’s face, but the light died in her eyes. Thank you for letting me know. She looked at Renouart for a moment before becoming incredibly preoccupied with the remnants of food left on her platter.

Toastini gave her a sympathetic smile and squeezed her shoulder. Have a wonderful evening, you two. I will see you in the morning at breakfast.

Toastini retreated up the stairs, dragging her tired feet behind her. When she got to the fourth floor, she realized that she should have ordered more hot water for a bath. While it seemed indulgent, she knew that she wouldn’t have another until Ireland. The thought was both immensely depressing and exciting at the same time. The next time she bathed, it would be with Irish water! She would have skipped to her room if she had the energy or inclination.

Once in her room, she stripped and put on the soft robe. She noticed Aksel’s coat laid out on the made bed; the very sight made her insides turn to ice. She sat at the vanity and idly brushed her hair until a servant arrived with her dinner. The food smelled delicious but tasted like wood. The inertia of the past few days, nay weeks, was catching up to her. The silence in her room was deafening.

She stood up quickly, nearly toppling over the vanity chair and flung the curtains open. She pushed the window open; it was slightly jammed having not been open in at least five months due to the colder weather. Cold wind be damned, Toastini needed noise.

She sank onto the fluffy mattress and slowly caressed the jacket, listening intently to the sounds wafting in through the window. She could hear a few patrons leaving as the cabaret ended and could faintly hear the horses in the stables. It wasn’t much, but it would do.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Toasti Jen on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Toastini sat crouched on her heels, hem of her thin white nightgown skimming the ice. She rubbed her hands along her arms for heat. It was a fruitless gesture. She blew on her hands, her breath puffing out in a large white cloud around her. The lake had frozen over and was covered with a dusting of snow. The snow covered the rest of the landscape like a glittering winter quilt. The sky was just a bleak; grayish white and seemed to never end. Snow covered fir trees surrounded the lake, allowing no point of reference for Toastini to determine where she was exactly. The world was monochromatic; the only contrast in color was Toastini’s nest of dark hair that lay down her back like a pile of broken tree branches after a storm. That is to say; her hair was a mess of tangles.
She remained crouched and huddled, attempting to stay warm. Her bare feet resting on the layer of ice did nothing to improve the situation. Her breath continued to come out in plumes as she waited.

She heard the owl before she saw it, its call a shrill scream or cry. She craned her neck in both directions, and then looked directly above her. The tawny owl flew in lazy circles high in the grey sky. Her neck began to cramp as she watched it slowly descend. She could see two objects clutched in its talons; he was still too high up to determine what the objects were.

She didn’t have to wait for him to descend, as he never would. Instead, the tawny owl released the object in his left talon, allowing it to fall slowly to the ground.

Before it hit the ground, Toastini noticed that it was a spear thistle, complete with the purple spiky bud intact. It landed softly on the ice directly in front of Toastini. She reached out to grab it. Its woolly stem scratched her overly sensitive, very cold hand. She recalled yanking groups of these very plants out of her garden, swearing at their prolific reproduction. Yet looking at the spear thistle now, she recognized its beauty. There was a certain sorrow in its status as a weed while being outwardly beautiful. Who decides what a weed is and what is coveted? Toastini’s heart grew heavy. She felt the inexplicable need to shelter this thistle from harm.

The owl gave another call, a ‘kewick’ down to Toastini. She reluctantly pulled her eyes from the purple bud and looked up at the chestnut feathered bird. Their eyes connected; it gave a long drawn out hooo. She cocked her head, wondering what he was saying to her. He followed his first call with a drawn out and powerful undulating huhuhuhooo. He released the object in his right talon.

This object descended at a far greater speed than the thistle, Toastini realizing that it must be much heavier. She sat back on her bum, no longer noticing the freezing temperature of the ice. She swallowed thickly as she finally recognized the object; it was an arrow and it was dropping spear downward.

It landed with a dull ‘thunk’ in the snow covered ice. Toastini licked her lips and thought about grabbing the arrow to examine it. She leaned forward slightly on her heels.

Her stomach dropped as she heard the tell tale crack. She smoothed her hands across the ice in front of her, clearing the snow so she could see where the crack was originating.

A fissure in the ice was moving at a great speed from the head of the spear to Toastini. The fissure broke out in a web around her, the ice groaning in response. She had no time to react; the ice broke under her weight, dropping her into the icy water. Her own scream was echoed above by the owl.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Toastini woke with a start, soaked in sweat. She wrinkled her nose as she tossed the bed covers off of her feverish body. Her fitful sleep and strange dreams had her feeling irritable and ready to leave the country.

She jumped out of bed with a renewed sense of energy. Grabbing her small satchel, she shoved her damp chemise into it, along with the rest of her belongings strewn about the room. She glanced for a single moment at the stunning gown hanging in the open wardrobe. She would leave it there for the servants. Hastily swishing her mouth out with fresh water and braiding her hair, she dressed in the remaining chemise and overdress. Without forgetting, she put Aksel’s jacket on over her dress. She exited her room without looking back.

She marched to Guillemette’s door and knocked briskly. She called out, Guillemette! We must leave.

Renouart poked his head out of his own room next door. His hair was completely disheveled and looked as though he had just woken up. He shut the door after seeing Toastini. She scowled. Guillemette finally opened her door, looking fresh and energized. So in short, she looked the opposite of Toastini. We are going to the docks now, or are we going to eat breakfast first?

Toastini didn’t break her steadfast gaze. I am going to the docks. If you require breakfast, you can catch up with me later. If the boat is still there, that is.

Guillemette bit her lip as she slung her satchel over her shoulder. Breakfast can wait. She cast a cursory glance at Renouart’s door. As if summoned, he barrelled out, fully dressed and packed. He said breathlessly, I go to docks with you.

Toastini didn’t give him a response. She simply turned on her heel and marched down the aisle toward the stairwell.

She paid for their accommodations and made arrangements for Renouart to come back and retrieve the horses from the stables when he was ready. She bid a tight yet genuine farewell to Yves, promising to stay only at La Ferme should she ever return to Honfleur.

She continued her quick steps out of the grand building and retraced the very steps she had taken the day before when she was frantic to see Aksel off. She lifted her chin and squared her back, ready to leave the town, country and memories behind. She walked briskly, as though attempting to outpace the hounding ghosts of her dear friend Kai or that wretched Spanish thief. The reality was that she was outpacing Guillemette and Renouart, who both struggled to keep up with Toastini.

Toastini’s boots stomped loudly on the wooden pier all the way to the large NNGO ship that they would board. She could see several of her associates already on board, adeptly preparing the ship for departure. She turned quickly and looked at Renouart. She took a deep breath to slow down and smiled at the young lad. She took him in her arms for a warm embrace, squeezing him tightly. He patted her back softly, unsure of what action he should take. She released him and unfastened her leather pouch at her hip. She placed it firmly in Renouart’s hand, curling his fingers around the soft bag. Thank you for everything, Renouart. This should get you back to Leval in comfort. She whispered in his ear, Write to Guillemette!

With that, she spun on her heels and boarded the ship, not wanting to prolong her goodbye. Also, she wanted to give Guillemette and Renouart privacy. But most of all, she wanted to be on the ship, Ireland bound. She tossed her satchel in her cabin and reported for duty to either Roxxane or Jill. As she prepared the starboard side of the ship, she sneaked a peak at the two young ones on the dock.

Guillemette held both of Renouart’s hands in her own. They were talking, but the distance was too great so Toastini was unable to eavesdrop. Not that she would be able to understand their conversation, which was most likely in French. Just as Toastini was about to carry on with her duties, Guillemette quickly leaned up and placed a timid kiss on Renouart’s unsuspecting lips. Without further ado, Guillemette scampered up the dock to board the boat.

Toastini gasped before grinning widely. She removed the grin just as quickly, not wanting Guillemette to know that she had been watching.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whoso deserves not heaven   Whoso deserves not heaven - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Whoso deserves not heaven
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All your Nachos are belong to us! :: RK :: Ireland :: Irish RP-
Jump to: