Elois
Oydelia
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Achilles_
Admin

Messed up world - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Did you just make that ? lol

point stands, ya'll suck Razz
Back to top Go down
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!
Zakku

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:35 pm

Achilles wrote:
Did you just make that ? lol

point stands, ya'll suck Razz

STFU N00B
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Achilles wrote:
Quote :
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book,
and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."
Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BCE

It's easy to be self righteous about the state of the world today. I've yet to hear about a generation that thought the next one is better than the previous ones.

I don't think I understand your point.

Old people bitch about whipper snappers, the world is going to hell in a hand basket--these things have been said since day one. Ok, I see that.

But where is anyone being self-righteous about the state of the world today?

I surely as fuck hope the next generation is better than this one. If not, I feel VERY bad for a few generations after that. Whoopsie, sorry for the planet! Hope you didn't actually want to use any water.
Back to top Go down
Achilles_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:06 am

I just hate people who spam the internet with anti-corporation rants, thats all.

Toasti, I don't suppose you've never used a pfizer product ?

Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 am

"spam the internet with anti-corporation rants"...hmm.

Spam the internet.

Ok, moving on. Full disclosure, I have used the following Pfizer products within my life: Centrum vitamins, advil, lo/ovral, Thermacare, Neosporin, Robitussin and Chapstick (have it in my purse right now). I try my hardest to vote with my dollar, but sometimes it doesn't happen. I expressed a passionate opinion here on the internet (Spamming The Internet!) but it doesn't mean that I am always 100% an activist, scouring the labels as I shop. Sometimes I have dry lips while I am at the checkout stand and toss in a tube of Chapstick. Am I contributing to the problem? Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn't mean a person can't express their displeasure concerning the practices of governments with corporations in a related thread (by definition-not spam).

Just so we are clear, my "internet spamming rant" wasn't anti-corporation. It was anti-dick move. It was anti-government-in-bed-with-corporations-for-their-own-gain,-fuck-it-if-people-DIE.

Sorry, I can't get past that first sentence. "I just hate people who spam the internet with anti-corporation rants".
Also, that is what you meant with your original sentiment, the one I asked about?
My apologies for getting off topic.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:15 pm

hmm, yea i fail to see all the 'anti-corporation rants'

the topic at hand was compassion, i was not aware that some corporation had patented that as well. aw shucks, i better go to another planet Razz

dont get how we went from:

million starving children die, no one cares; but million people cry about whitney houston

to:

stop ragging on my wal-mart, you dont like it go move to china or DIAF Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Achilles wrote:
Quote :
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book,
and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching."
Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BCE

It's easy to be self righteous about the state of the world today. I've yet to hear about a generation that thought the next one is better than the previous ones.

Oh yea, and:
George Carlin wrote:
Here's another example of overprotection. You ever notice on the TV-news every time some guy with an AK47 strolls on to a school yard and kills three or four kids and a couple of teachers, the next day... the next day the school in overrun with counsellors, and psychiatrics, and grief counsellors, and trauma therapists trying to help the child cope. Shit, when I was in school, someone came to our school and killed three or four of us; we went right on with our arithmetic: "35 classmates minus 4... equals 31". We were tough.
Back to top Go down
Achilles_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Quote :
million starving children die, no one cares

And how many straving children have you saved today ?

My point is a rant against self-righteousness, thats all Smile
Back to top Go down
Oydelia
Squire
Oydelia

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Funny what happens when one post a picture. At least it proves here we're still alive. And at least Bobby Brown can write a book and earn some dollars, ones death is another man's bread.

@Bekah, what I didn't understand was what you wrote about probly being death when you didn't leave SA. We have health insurance in SA and good hospitals with real good doctors. you lived in Johannesburg yes? There's the university hospital of Johannesburg, one of the best hospitals in the world.
Back to top Go down
Bekah
Noble
Bekah

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Oydelia wrote:
Funny what happens when one post a picture. At least it proves here we're still alive. And at least Bobby Brown can write a book and earn some dollars, ones death is another man's bread.

@Bekah, what I didn't understand was what you wrote about probly being death when you didn't leave SA. We have health insurance in SA and good hospitals with real good doctors. you lived in Johannesburg yes? There's the university hospital of Johannesburg, one of the best hospitals in the world.

No, I lived in Cape town and I couldn't afford to buy medical insurance when I lived there. Unfortunately my main employer at the time didn't offer medical aid as part of my package. It is possible to go to government hospitals (I have been treated at Groote Schuur) but even then you have to pay even though it is less and it is means tested. considering the medication I am on now - I would not have been able to afford it and I would not have been able to afford the scans that discovered my cancer. Because medical care is free in England, it was detected early, but if I was in South Africa, I would have just left it in the hopes it would get better on its own - and that would have been fatal. I wasn't trying to say "poor me" or anything, just trying to show the difference between wealthy countries and poorer ones.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Achilles wrote:
Quote :

lol

well isn't that a bit hypocritical?

it's like complaining about someone's spelling, in a post with typos and horrible grammar. Razz

so you are against self righteous people? you don't think thats a bit, oh i dont know, self righteous of you? Razz

i didn't think this thread was about corporations, or people trying to be self righteous, or any sort of political agendas. i thought it was about human compassion, or the lack thereof. Smile

sorry about your bruised political agenda. hope it gets better some day. Razz
Back to top Go down
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!
Zakku

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Achilles wrote:
Quote :

37...all of them fed and then promptly sent to work in my salt mines for the rest of their lives.
Back to top Go down
Oydelia
Squire
Oydelia

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 am

Bekah, wasn't judging you hon, just didn't understand the reason why. You had a bad employer. We give al the workers the insurance pack and full costs for the compagny because we know some wouldn't pay their share anyway.
Back to top Go down
Bekah
Noble
Bekah

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Oydelia wrote:
Bekah, wasn't judging you hon, just didn't understand the reason why. You had a bad employer. We give al the workers the insurance pack and full costs for the compagny because we know some wouldn't pay their share anyway.

Your fine Very Happy I realised that I wasn't clear enough with what I first wrote anyway.
Back to top Go down
Telcara
Squire
Telcara

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm glad your illness could be detected Bekah and you're still with us Smile

It makes me think of my mom. She has fibromyalgia and whiplash, she is unable to work and will probably never be able to. Living in Sweden and being a swedish citizen, she has the benefits of social services. Her main bills get paid by them and she's given a small sum of money which is just enough to manage living on. Parents get child support money from the state, same amount no matter their income. Combined with the money from social services and the child support for my two younger brothers, she can live a decent life. If she were to move to Estonia, where she grew up, she wouldn't have those benefits. Would she have been living on the street then or worse..? We're thankful for what the swedish state provides for her as we know its not done in many other countries - even if those countries are rich too.

Back to top Go down
_Melissa.
Knight
_Melissa.

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 6:39 pm

I do really miss Amy Winehouse http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/9090762/Amy-and-Whitney-were-both-talented-.-.-.-it-could-happen-to-anyone.html Also love Katie Melua and this article but I felt a bit meh blergh, reading it thinking heh yeah but can't everyone say that their life can be a zillion times more fucked up than it is now because heck, anyone could say the same thing and say what I did/ didn't turn our like Neutral. I wouldn't say that I get too sad or surprised when celebs die, everyone is going to die at some point but I tend to miss the talent. If things fucked up for someone then am afraid shit happens if it went down the wrong path. It would depend as to who and why I'd feel sorry for someone, ofcourse if it is an illness that can't be controlled then it would be sad but everyone can be addicted to something if under no control. There's plenty of drug addicts so I don't think the fact someone is rich and popularised makes them that more special when there's so many deprived people with alcohol/ drug abuse that just aren't publicised in the press, who could've been just as talented /shrugs
Back to top Go down
_Melissa.
Knight
_Melissa.

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:44 am

_Melissa. wrote:
I do really miss Amy Winehouse http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/9090762/Amy-and-Whitney-were-both-talented-.-.-.-it-could-happen-to-anyone.html Also love Katie Melua and this article but I felt a bit meh blergh, reading it thinking heh yeah but can't everyone say that their life can be a zillion times more fucked up than it is now because heck, anyone could say the same thing and say what I did/ didn't turn our like Neutral. I wouldn't say that I get too sad or surprised when celebs die, everyone is going to die at some point but I tend to miss the talent. If things fucked up for someone then am afraid shit happens if it went down the wrong path. It would depend as to who and why I'd feel sorry for someone, ofcourse if it is an illness that can't be controlled then it would be sad but everyone can be addicted to something if under no control. There's plenty of drug addicts so I don't think the fact someone is rich and popularised makes them that more special when there's so many deprived people with alcohol/ drug abuse that just aren't publicised in the press, who could've been just as talented /shrugs
Can't believe how bitter I sound about death here. It sort of bit me back after
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Tel, I have fibromyalgia too and really bad arthritis kicking in from old injuries...it's been getting harder and harder to deal with lately, but i'm blessed to still be able to work and take care of my family and home, been stubborn not wanting to take any hard core meds for it tho...eh, may change my mind eventually. it's hard, definitely, many good thoughts your way for you and your mom. Sure been missing chatting with you too Bekah!

Now...to keep on track with the thread here...I swear I cannot read/listen to the news anymore, just breaks my heart or makes me sick to my stomach. Makes me feel like there's no compassion in the world anymore and as a mom is scares me to death but that's the thing i'm one helluva momma bear...beware! LOL
Back to top Go down
Lordmatthew
Citizen

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 pm

What state are you in? if California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, Montana, Alaska or Hawaii, you can get a medicinal marijuana prescription, would be a much better option then pills.
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Butcher

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyTue May 01, 2012 6:55 am

Ohio...figures huh lol.
Back to top Go down
Lordmatthew
Citizen

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 9:15 am

I guess you can just go to East Cleveland and buy from some ghetto guy Laughing

I am sure you could get from a non scary source but non worth it since you are a mother and there is the legality issue lol(although the law is not to bad in ohio)

In NYC they essentially deliver it to your door step, fucking awesome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Telcara
Squire
Telcara

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 4:50 pm

lulz Matthew...

Thanks Trinity, I hope you'll be able to continue staying strong. I find fibromyalgia is hard to explain to people. One of those diseases that you can't see on a person, and combined with something else (in my mom's case whiplash and yours arthritis) it is really devastating. When my mom first got the signs and went to the doctor, she was told to take a painkiller, relax and go for walks. Of course that didn't do shit and she changed to a different doctor who had just gone on a fibromyalgia course and was very excited. There are these pressure points on the body which trigger pain in people with fibromyalgia so its how you diagnose it, he pressed them and yep.. she sure did have it as she was screaming of the pain Razz

How do you manage your fibromyalgia? I'm interested to hear if you don't mind. For my mom, she is feeling very warm and especially during bad days like when her hands are inflamed they are hot as ovens. She does and has taken the basic painkillers paracetamol and ibuprofen but has changed the latter to naproxen and then something stronger mostly because of migraine attacks due to the whiplash. But really, the painkillers are all the docs can offer to treat her with. She has to ask me (in England) or my aunt (in Estonia) to send her cooling gels as they help and decrease the inflammation. The one that works best for her is Deep Relief, and its not available in Sweden so... I think she used some other cream too but I can't remember the name or substance. For some, warmth helps more. Massages apparently worsens it (as its the muscles that are inflamed and you're rubbing them which is bad) and exercising is out of the question. But yeah its pretty much been 'you got fribromyalgia, here munch on some painkillers and try live on'.

As for hearing news... I can't be arsed. I used to watch them but stopped in my teens as its so depressing. Attacks here and there, natural disasters, this many people died... And I can't do anything. Also, its not local news but still when I hear of it its rather painful and frustrating. And then people want money for all these catastrophes, ok charity is good but there's billions of companies who want my money and I barely have any for myself. You want me to be compassionate about others... um.. maybe when I'm a millionaire... I'd rather focus on my local community. I'd have more impact. I did read the local newspaper as my mom had one coming every day but after I moved from home, no more newspaper. I can't be arsed to read any online newspapers. When I was in Estonia in March, I did watch BBC on my aunt's TV (me and my BF don't have a TV so no news from there!) and uggh I was feeling bad as it was then with my grandma in hospital and on top of that only hearing about shitty stuff. I think I'm doing myself a good favour from avoiding news. If its anything important, people will tell me. Razz Ignorance is a bliss.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyWed May 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Telcara wrote:
lulz Matthew...

No offense, but what is funny about medicating with Tetrahydrocannibol? Much better than a lot of prescription medicine, and way way better than alcohol... Smile
Back to top Go down
Lordmatthew
Citizen

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:53 am

*I several people with arthritis who self-medicate with marijuana and in turn do not have to taken prescription pills which are quite awful for you. Luckily it is decriminalized in New York state making any punishment they would receive similar to that of a parking ticket.

medical marijuana may be around the corner in NY which would be great.

Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 2:25 am

it would be great, but it still wouldnt be enough.

people who medicate with marijuana shouldnt have to deal with crims and punk kids to get their medication, which might go shady at any moment.

its just not right, i really thought by now it would have been better but nope. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Messed up world   Messed up world - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Messed up world
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next