PS4 Online is not free?!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Roby Lambourne
Citizen
Roby Lambourne

PS4 Online is not free?! Empty
PostSubject: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 am

I have being catching up on all the news and updates surrounding the PS4 and it seems SONY have decided to jump onto the money train. I knew xbox charged online, one reason why I never owned an xbox, now the ps4 is going down the same road which leaves me and I am sure others with 3 tough choices. And two hopeful one.

1. Pay the money grabbers for online multiplayer.
2. Buy the PS4 and just play single players like the good old PS2 days.
3. Don't buy the PS4, or the xbox one for that matter, and for the first time not to own a new Playstation Console.
4. Hope to find someone local knows how to 'chip' the PS4 to make online free by bypassing the SONY network.
5. Hope people boycott the online and force SONY to make online free (yeah like fanboys could be patient enough to do that).

I hate when my trait of not wanting to spend money contradicts my nostalgia. SONY apparently try to justify the compulsory pay to play online by saying you get free monthly games and the other options like photos and videos and a load of BS most people will have no intention of ever using. I want my Playsation to play games and films, I don't give a toss about a camera or motion detectors or cloud share or voice recognition crap. If it made cups of tea when I asked then fine I would pay for that nifty trick, but it doesn't, so I won't!

Anyone bought a PS4 already? And anybody as annoyed about it as me? Though from what I have gathered most people around here are xboxers so you are used to the money grabbing crap for online I guess.
Back to top Go down
ahlia
Knight
ahlia

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 am

You don't buy a blender for it's ability to make toast...
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 1:39 pm

I don't understand Ahlia's reference but what I can say is Xbox's online experience is known for being better than PS3's. Maybe they've slightly caught up with the new system so feel like they have the right to start charging.
I own an xbox, but i'm in no way a fan boy. PS2 for life! Razz
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 2:11 pm

I have to agree with Aidan, even though I fucking hate having to pay money for it, you do seem to get what you do/don't pay for.

With all the new features for the PS4, it only makes sense for them to charge a fee. They have to pay the bandwith costs, and hopefully it would mean an increase in service/speed/whatever.

It sucks but its the way it is anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
ahlia
Knight
ahlia

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 pm

My point is, Roby was complaining about all the extra shit in the ps4 that he says he doesn't want because he just wants to play games with. But that's not what the console is for, and that's what most gamers are having a hard time grasping for this round of consoles; but they need to change that attitude because these are the last 'consoles' ever being released.

The PS4 and the XBone are not gaming consoles. They play games, amongst those other things. They are designed to do everything in the one box, as opposed to the playstation 2 which was designed solely for gaming.

ergo, the PS4 is the blender and the PS2 is the toaster.

If you want a dedicated gaming console then stick with the older systems, but it means you will miss out on the future titles. The only way out of this one is to adapt Smile
Back to top Go down
Zukran
Commoner

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 10:16 am

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is here - PS3 Online was free for lots of reasons, and perhaps the biggest was that there was no decent justification to pay for what Playstation Online was, it was a basic core online programme and that was about it - yes it had a shop - and you could access third party content such as netflicks, youtube, whatever else, but honestly in terms of features, such as friends, groups, voice chat, party chat, ect there was really nothing it was bare bones online.
This time around there is actually something, there is more infer structure, more features which do enhance game-play with your friends, and with these features + all the things Anto said comes a cost to that. It's not PS3 Online + charge - it is something quite different to that, and something that perhaps does justify the charge.

As for Films, music  and other third-party products again they are accessable w/o the need to pay for Playstation membership. Also I find what you said a slight contradiction that you simply wanted to play games and watch films. Films are free, and with PS+ you get around 20-25 ‘Free’ PS3 Games a year, and a similar number for PS4 and Vita. I mean really if you have more than one of those consoles it’s less than 1 pound per game, along with everything else.
Honestly, had PS+ from when it stated giving out lots of games, regardless of access to online aspects of games, it’s a bargain and for people who do just like to sit and play games, it’s a great deal. Does it suck it’s no longer ‘optional’ yes, but it’s worth it and honestly it’s either that or we get the same bare bones PS3 Online.
Back to top Go down
Roby Lambourne
Citizen
Roby Lambourne

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 6:25 pm

Sorry I should of being clearer. Personally I was happy with the ps3 online network even considering it was free! I believe you shouldn't fix something that isn't broken... unless your Sony and you want money.
If SONY and Microsoft are turning their consoles into entertainment and media systems, perhaps a large opening for consoles will open up for other software and hardware electronic companies.

When I said I watch to watch films, I should of said DVD's and Bluerays as opposed to meaning the online functions for films. Perhaps if there is an option to trade in all the unwanted games and media options for free online, now then everyone would be happy.
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 8:09 pm

SteamBox? Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS4 Online is not free?!   PS4 Online is not free?! Empty

Back to top Go down

PS4 Online is not free?!
Page 1 of 1