5 posters
AuthorMessage
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: Carpenter

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 1:44 pm

I have enough XP to level to 11, I get a 3rd, 4th and 5th level spell. Question is which ones.

I have the following

Level 1
Charm Person Protection from evil
Hypno Jump
Niacs cold ray (will change to nightshield)
Ray of enfeeblement exp retreat

Level 2
Blur
Lesser death aura Resist energy
Melfs Acid Arrow
Scorching Ray

Level 3
Acid Blast
Fire Ball
Protection from Energy ( will change this to displacement or rage)

Level 4
Stoneskin
Firewall

Level 5
Hold monster
Repair critical

Level 6
Disintergrate (about the only thing i have to hit golems)

I was thinking maybe Haste (level 3), Ice storm---PK--burning blood or Fear for the level 4, Prismatic Ray (level 5)

Also if you see any spells which I already have which I should change out let me know.

I Havent taken any repair spells because it seems most WF take care of their own repair, plus I can always just carry a wand.

As a note Sorcerers only get 4 spells max at any given level, Wizards get 5

Last edited by Seldomseen on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:04 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Weaver

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 4:40 pm

When you get to level 18/19 you'll need reconstruct as it's normally the Wizard's job to heal the WF tank, however, until then you should be fine Smile

Haste is a must! You'll get it and wonder how you ever lived without it Very Happy Not only does it make you run faster, but it also quickens attacks.

I'm not sure what level spell it is, but Greater Heroism is always a very highly valued buff and if you carry it, you'll be nearly everyone's best friend, the same goes for jump, which will help out your healer or any tank wearing heavy armour.

I'm thinking about the group's needs more than your own personal ones, but with Firewall you don't need too many other offensive spells as far as I can see (from playing high level quests that is...).
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 5:03 pm

so I should shift my focus to the needs of the group then....will have to see what spells are buff type spells are available
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm not necessarily saying that. You can deal some excellent damage with your offensive spells, which will help the group equally. Yet, at the same time, you can provide some invaluable buffs to make other members more effective.

However, I still say Firewall ftw!
Back to top Go down
Tod_Whitesnow
Squire
Tod_Whitesnow

Character sheet
DDO character:

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:50 pm

Yes I look at it this way with my FVS, the tougher I make those at the front the less work, I have to do.

But you always do get one Zerging fool every now and again

Tod
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:18 pm

decided to go with haste, repair crit damage and cone of cold
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:30 pm

these are just my preferences. you dont have to choose the same. although i would like to point out that resist is much better than protect. protection will only work unti it runs out then it is gone. resist will continue blocking damage until the timer on the buff wears off.

also it helps to have extended spell on haste and displacement, but thats a preference thing too.

here goes:

level 1:

nightshield (protects against magic missiles)
jump (even at level 20 is awesome)
expeditious retreat (good for when haste runs out, if mobs cant catch you they cant hit you)
protection from evil (boosts AC AND saves against evil creatures. think: fireballs, despair, hold, feebleminds; this spell helps a lot!)
5th slot is preference

level 2:

blur (of course!)
knock (comes in handy when no rogue around)
resist energy (must have, is Way better than protect)
scorching ray (this is my cheapest nuking spell at level 15 and does uber damage)
web (great for crowd control)

level 3:

acid blast (nuke em! hits multiple targets)
displacement (stacks with blur, must have)
fireball (nuke em! hits multiple targets)
haste (weeee! this is a must have)
rage (this spell will give you 20 extra HP and melee's love it)

level 4:

dimension door (comes in handy)
phantasmal killer (i might switch this out myself, but it is nice to insta-kill things with)
stoneskin (speaks for itself)
wall of fire (this spell is your best damage spell until you are level 17)
not sure what i have for my 5th slot, i might not have one yet. what you prefer then

level 5:

cloudkill (i love this spell, does acid and con damage and comes in handy)
hold monster (gotta love the automatic crit it gives when a monster is held. even my wizard can melee once something is held)
teleport (just cuz im too lazy to walk hehe)
protection from elements (i use this on top of resist, and hooray)
5th slot is preference

level 6:

disintegrate (must have for golems and cubes)
mass suggestion (i use this all the time when i solo. is a mass charm spell)
reconstruct (because like zog pointed out it helps those WF)
greater heroism (must have this spell, no question about it)
5th is preference but i would go to flesh to stone when i get my 5th slot

level 7:

finger of death (is fun insta-killing things, kinda negates PK but i keep them both for now)
mass invisibility (you will be glad you had this)
greater teleport (not necessary with scrolls, but they are expensive so this is nice to have. can teleport your whole party)
ottos sphere of dancing (disco ball anyone?)
still deciding on my 5th slot, will try a few

level 8:

ottos irresistible dance (love this one)
summon monster 8 (the air elemental is the best summon in the game)

thats all i have right now, ill probably get polar ray, mass hold monster, wail of the banshee, and meteor swarm as my other 8 and 9th level spells
Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks Anto, I did have resist but swapped it out once I got protection...I also swapped out web because i was throwing so many fire balls ( at the time my fire crit wasnt to good, now i sometimes hit for over 170 if i am seeing the screen correctly) that it would burn the web away. Maybe should look at web again.

I hardly use any thing but firewall and fireball ( acid i have for oozes) but still have been feeling the spells out. I think the list will help.

any thoughts on prismatic ray? It looked good but i wasnt to sure about it.
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:45 am

Anto's list looks awesome. He has enough aggressive spells to do some serious damage and at the same time, he can give out buffs to make people worship the ground he walks upon. All that = win Very Happy

Casters with such spells are highly sought after in groups because they can help make the group stronger and deal damage at the same time. Having D Door is necessary in certain quests (Titan raid for one) and it is also appreciated when doing bloodstone runs and Shroud.

No ToD can succeed without a caster (Nobody kites the Shadows better and they recon the WF tank). Shroud takes so much longer without casters running ahead and finger of deathing the mobs that spawn from the portals. Casters are also given crystal duty in Shroud as they can take it down quickly and effortlessly. In fact, if a Caster doesn't lead the kill count in Shroud, then something strange is going on...

I'm often in awe of the way certain classes do their jobs because when I'm on my Paladin, I'm normally just a bit-part player. I fill the role of "one of the DPS", but I do not tank and therefore don't have a specific role to fill in any of the higher level raids. Wizards will always have an extremely important role to play in VoD, ToD, Hound and Shroud (not to mention Epics!).

So I guess the best thing to do is to get used to a range of spells that you are comfortable with, yet at the same time, be prepared for certain things that the group will expect of you (i.e. haste, rage, GH, D Door, etc.).
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:51 am

im pretty curious about prismatic spray. i havent tried it yet but hear it is awesome. like, really awesome.

the ray is a single target, the spray is multiple targets. it hits things with random effects, and some of the effects are instant death.

i think i'm going to try this one out, seems i am missing on some fun Razz
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:55 pm

it does look like an nice spell, that was why i was looking at it. actually 2 chances of insta death green and violet rays so 28.5 % chance of insta death.

A shining ray of multicolored light blinds creatures with 8 Hit Die or less for 12 to 48 seconds, and does 1 of 7 harmful effects at random to one target, with a 12.5% of inflicting a second different effect from that 7. These 7 effects are detailed as follows: Red Ray: 4*caster level fire damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half, Orange Ray: 5*caster level acid damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half, Yellow Ray: 6*caster level electrical damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half, Green Ray: Instant Death (Ignores Death immunity.), deals Constitution] damage on a successful Fortitude save (Poison effect negated by Poison Immunity.), Blue Ray: Turns victim to stone, Fortitude save negates, Indigo: Victim is stricken with Fear status, Will save negates, Violet: Sends victim to another plane (Instant Death, ignores Death Immunity.), Will save negates.

The spray is an AoE spell

Prismatic Spray is a conical version of Prismatic Ray so area of effect and able to strike multiple targets. A shining blast of multicolored light blinds creatures with 8 Hit Die or less for 12 to 48 seconds, and does 1 of 7 harmful effects at random to one target, with a 12.5% of inflicting a second different effect from that 7. These 7 effects are detailed as follows: Red Ray: 4*caster level fire damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half, Orange Ray: 5*caster level acid damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half, Yellow Ray: 6*caster level electrical damage, a successful Reflex save reduces the damage dealt by half, Green Ray: Instant Death (Ignores Death immunity.), deals Constitution] damage on a successful Fortitude save (Poison effect negated by Poison Immunity.), Blue Ray: Turns victim to stone, Fortitude save negates, Indigo: Victim is stricken with Fear status, Will save negates, Violet: Sends victim to another plane (Instant Death, ignores Death Immunity.), Will save negates.
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Prismatic spray is pretty fun.

Back to top Go down
Tod_Whitesnow
Squire
Tod_Whitesnow

Character sheet
DDO character:

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 pm

Yes you get to be like your own beholder.
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 pm

DDO really needs to give us pet beholders - think how awesome that would be (a little squishy though).
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 am

Question about rage:

Quote :
Rage-This area of effect spell grants multiple Party targets +2 morale bonus to Strength and to Constitution, +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a -2 penalty to Armor Class

Is the +2 to str stackable with StR Items (i'm pretty sure Bull Str doesnt help if you alread have a +4 or better str item) and is the -2 to ac noticeable?
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am

Seldomseen wrote:
Question about rage:

Quote :
Rage-This area of effect spell grants multiple Party targets +2 morale bonus to Strength and to Constitution, +1 morale bonus on Will saves, and a -2 penalty to Armor Class

Is the +2 to str stackable with StR Items (i'm pretty sure Bull Str doesnt help if you alread have a +4 or better str item) and is the -2 to ac noticeable?

yes it stacks, the -2ac is usually not noticeable at all, as most times, 9/10, you wont have a high enough ac to make a difference anyway.

at end game, anything under 65 is pretty meaningless for AC. in epic, AC under 80 means everything will hit you when it rolls a 2 or higher.

my armor class is around 45 and everything at my level hits me except when it rolls a 1 or misses because i am blurry or displaced.

if you go for an armor class build, you typically will sacrifice a lot of DPS and have a tower shield; you wont be hitting things hard at all. casters should never concern themselves with AC, they have displacement and blur and will never have a viable AC.

armor class build typically spend feats for combat expertise, which means they have a high INT, meaning lower STR (which equals DPS). they typically have greater parrying weapon(s), which means on 3rd tier greensteel is missing a blast attack, even less AC. they typically have AC specc'ed gear like chattering ring instead of rings to boost DPS/CON ect. then, AC builds are also wearing greater stability and crap, meaning something else is sacrificed as well.

you cant half ass AC, you either go all out and try to get 100 AC or you forget about AC altogether.

my ranger melee's pit fiends with the rest of the melee's, and does good damage. the pit fiend will hit me on everything except when it rolls a 1 and misses. thats just how it goes with a 45 AC. I can get up to 50 AC and still wont make any difference.

Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am

a lot of people push for 30 AC at level 6, 45 AC at level 12, and 60 AC at level 18 for it to even be noticeable. If you run the quest on hard, you'll need another +5 AC. If on elite, another +5 AC on top of that. So a level 18 quest on elite, with less than 70 AC is pretty useless.

Same thing, a level 6 quest on elite, you'll need an AC of 40 for it to be useful. Smile
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am

If anyone whinges about the -2 AC they get from rage, just give them waterbreathing! That should keep them happy Smile

Otherwise, you could always be helpful and cast stoneskin, although it's an expensive spell to cast on someone who clearly just likes to whinge for the sake of it!

Do you have the extend feat by the way? It's always a good one to activate when casting haste and rage.
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:43 am

yea I acquired the extend at last level up, next spell to swap out is either for jump or exp retreat, with the extend will last 24 minutes i think.

it is good to know about the ac though, never realized it was so useless at higher levels, mine as well wear a robe and get all the dex bonus you can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spell Choice help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spell Choice help   Spell Choice help Empty

Back to top Go down

Spell Choice help
Page 1 of 1