Aidan
Bellz
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bellz
Knight
Bellz

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric
RK Profession: Baker

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Since I got stuck researching things for an essay and found out it's illegal to flirt in New York ($25 fine) I got curious as to other dumb laws out there....

so here are a few others I found:

Texas: full law Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.
It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Montana: It is illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone.
Seven or more indians are considered a raiding or war party and it is legal to shoot them.
it is illegal for married women to go fishing alone on Sundays, and illegal for unmarried women to fish alone at all.

California: Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
Blythe CA: You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Seen a website with a bunch of those and the indian one sounds fimiliar, aparently in Glasgow, Scotland, at noon its legal to kill someone with a bow and arrow at a town square Laughing
Back to top Go down
Aayla
Commoner
Aayla

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 7:47 pm

On that topic, some whacky Canadian laws for you:

· You may not pay for a fifty-cent item with only pennies.

· Citizens may not publicly remove bandages.

· It is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine.

Alberta Provincial Laws

· Businesses must provide rails for tying up horses. (hitching posts)

· Wooden logs may not be painted.

· It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man

· You may never use dice to play craps.

City of Calgary Laws

· If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.
Back to top Go down
Achilles_
Admin

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Quote :
· It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man

I assume this happened before. That's hilarious Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bellz
Knight
Bellz

Location : in a galexy far far away or Khyber... or stuck at work dreaming of Hawaii

Character sheet

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 8:09 pm

I heard someone asked for their horse and gun before in Calgary Laughing

Back to top Go down
Mikhaila
Knight
Mikhaila

Character sheet

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Aayla...I think you live by me! Razz Think the only stupid law in Calgary should be against that stupid red eye sore they call a bridge. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Aayla
Commoner
Aayla

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Mikhaila wrote:
Aayla...I think you live by me! Razz Think the only stupid law in Calgary should be against that stupid red eye sore they call a bridge. Twisted Evil

Can we outlaw Stampede while we're at it? I HATE the (*&@#$(*&@)#($* stampede! I like California's rule that you can't wear cowboy boots unless you own at least two cows!
Back to top Go down
Goblindad
Squire
Goblindad

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Blacksmith

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Hey I was in the last Stampede parade... can we at least keep that?
Back to top Go down
Mikhaila
Knight
Mikhaila

Character sheet

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

lol.....the only good thing about Stampede is the parade Razz I hate that there is nothing on the Tele when it's on. :S

Speaking of TV....onto the scheduled programming Razz I found this

http://www.dumblaws.com/
Back to top Go down
Kazimi
Citizen
Kazimi

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:57 am

Some funny Belgium laws:

Quote :
You don't necessary have to be a Belgian citizen to vote in the general election.

Quote :
It is against the law for a pub to sell more than 25% of foreign beer.

Quote :
Sweepstakes are prohibited in Belgium.
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 10:10 am

The Irish bars in Brussels must be crap..

*was en Bruges* Razz
Back to top Go down
Bekah
Noble
Bekah

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:22 am

My favorite law is the one in York where it is legal for anyone born within the city walls to shoot Scotsmen with a bow and arrow. The only downer on that is that the hospital is outside the city walls, so the chances of being born within the walls nowadays are slim. You also can't shoot them on a Sunday ...

There are a few laws about bows and arrows and shooting people in England in fact - must be our pride in the marvel that is the English longbow lol. Here are some other bow and arrow related laws:

- In Chester you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

- In Hereford you may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close

(They have something against the Welsh maybe?)

- All English males over the age 14 are to carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy!

I really like this law, because I am pretty sure I have broken it more than once and I most likely will do so again.

- It is illegal to be drunk in a pub or bar.

And for the Scots, no drunken cowing haha!

- In Scotland it is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.

(wonder if the cow can be drunk in possession of a Scot?)

Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Butcher

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Made me lol, literally!

Alright, found some in Ohio where I'm from:

• In Ohio, if you ignore an orator on Decoration day to such an extent as to publicly play croquet or pitch horseshoes within one mile of the speaker's stand, you can be fined $25.00.
  • Women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes, lest men see reflections of their underwear. (Cleveland)

• It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday

• The Ohio driver's education manual states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car.

• Participating or conducting a duel is prohibit.

• Breast feeding is not allowed in public.

• It is illegal for more than five women to live in a house.

• No one may be arrested on Sunday or on the Fourth of July.

• A police office can write you a ticket for leaving your keys in your car. But relax he will leave you a note when you can come get your keys back so long as you can prove it's your car and your key.

• No person while operating a motor vehicle shall fail to slow down and stop said vehicle when signaled to do so upon meeting or overtaking a horse-drawn vehicle or person on horseback and to remain stationary until such vehicle or person has passed.

• It is illegal to walk a cow down Lake Road. (Bay Village)

• Ordinance number 223, of 09/09/19 prohibits the installation and usage of slot machines in outhouses. (Bexley)

• If one loses their pet tiger, they must notify the authorities within one hour. (Canton)

• Power Wheels® cars may not be driven down the street. (Canton)

• It is a misdemeanor to play any game in a public park without the Superintendent's permission. (Canton)

• Anal intercourse is banned. (Cincinnati)

• It's illegal to catch mice without a hunting license! (Cleveland)

• Any person who leans against a public building will be subject to fines. (Clinton)

• It is illegal for stores to sell corn flakes on Sunday. (Columbus)

• Items left on a tree lawn become city property. A young man was fined for removing an item from a tree lawn even though he had the owner's permission. (Fairview Park)

• It's against the law to honk your horn "excessively". A grandmother was fined for honking her horn twice at her neighbor. (Fairview Park)

• Cross-dressing is against the law. (Ironton)

• Any map that does not have Lima clearly stated on the map cannot be sold. (Lima)

• It is unlawful to run a horse over five miles per hour. (Lowell)

• Your goose may not paraded down Main Street. (McDonald)

• It is against the law to roller skate without notifying the police. (North Canton)

• It's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture. (Oxford)

• A policeman may bite a dog to quiet him. (Paulding)

• Throwing a snake at anyone is illegal. (Toledo)

• You may not run out of gas. (Youngstown)

• Riding on the roof of a taxi cab is not allowed. (Youngstown)

• Smoking banned in all buildings...including bars...(this I added myself since I didn't see it listed and find it stupid, especially for bars, since I would imagine it would at least be considered for the health of our children since no one but 18/21 y/o's are permitted anyway.)
Back to top Go down
Telcara
Squire
Telcara

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:12 am

Quote :
If one loses their pet tiger, they must notify the authorities within one hour. (Canton)
err... yeah... Surely there must've been some incident for this law to exist in the first place.

Smoking banned in all public buildings is a law in Sweden as well as UK. You simply have to go outside to smoke. I think its good. I don't smoke so I don't want to breathe in the poisonous fumes. Besides, some people are very sensitive to smoke fumes, people with asthma etc. If you're having a good meal at a restaurant or a night out at the pub with your pals.. meh, just ruins it. What I don't agree with (not a law) is companies with policies that employees aren't allowed to smoke during working hours, not even on their breaks.
Back to top Go down
ikids
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:17 pm

The smoking law is the same in Pennsylvania. Sorry, but I am not a huge fan of the government stepping in and telling me to do something for my own good. And there has been no scientific proof that second hand smoke actually causes anything. The logic behind it makes sense, but don't forget how diffused the smoke becomes before you breath it in. It is no worse than being near a camp fire, and it isn't nearly as bad as breathing in fumes from a car.

This law goes along the same lines as the law that you have to wear a seatbelt and motercyclest have to wear a helmet. While you would be a complete freaking idiot not to, its not the govenments place to make you.
Back to top Go down
Bekah
Noble
Bekah

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Oh no! I've lost my pet tiger!! What do I do?
Back to top Go down
ikids
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Bekah wrote:
Oh no! I've lost my pet tiger!! What do I do?

Get a pet lion Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 5:48 pm

hey ikids, about what you said, isn't that the Governments job? Idea
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Butcher

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Telcara wrote:
Quote :
If one loses their pet tiger, they must notify the authorities within one hour. (Canton)
err... yeah... Surely there must've been some incident for this law to exist in the first place.

Smoking banned in all public buildings is a law in Sweden as well as UK. You simply have to go outside to smoke. I think its good. I don't smoke so I don't want to breathe in the poisonous fumes. Besides, some people are very sensitive to smoke fumes, people with asthma etc. If you're having a good meal at a restaurant or a night out at the pub with your pals.. meh, just ruins it. What I don't agree with (not a law) is companies with policies that employees aren't allowed to smoke during working hours, not even on their breaks.

Being a smoker even myself I actually agree with you Tel lol, while I'm eating I can't stand to smell a cigarette/cigar...dunno why lol. My mom can sit and smoke/eat at the same time haha. Since we don't smoke around our son, because of the second hand smoke, I do appreciate it to a certain extent as he does have allergies etc. But to ban it from the actual bars?? That seems a bit ridiculous tho still IMO. It would be your own adult choice to be around it in the first place in that type of atmosphere. (not that most bars still down allow it on the low down...just depends i guess if they're willing to pay the fines.)

Actually the tiger thing did happen, and not far from me a man who owned lions had one escape that walked openly thru the kiddie park in my home town lol...talk about freaky tho when you think about coming up on one with nothing between you and the king of the jungle. more of a recent story that popped up, an indiana/ohio? man basically losing everything due to the economy here (seems like that's about the case most anywhere tho these days) who ran an exotic type of sanctuary and was told he was going to have them taken away decided to let all of the animals out before killing himself...well not sure if it was proven if he'd offed himself before or if the animals he'd released killed him, pretty sad. Most of the animals were shot on site by the authorities, which was unfortunate, but of course for public safety...
Back to top Go down
ikids
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Aidann wrote:
hey ikids, about what you said, isn't that the Governments job? Idea

Not in the US atleast. It is their job to protect us from others who would do us harm, not protect us from ourselves. Otherwise smoking, McDonalds, and being a sloth should all be illegal to name a few things.
Back to top Go down
Telcara
Squire
Telcara

Character sheet
DDO character:

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 2:45 pm

eh.. I think its perfectly fair that there's a law to wear a seatbelt and a helmet on a motorcycle. If the accident doesn't kill you, you might end up being crippled instead... and who pays for that? The government and tax payers. Thank-you and wear your fucking seatbelt/helmet.
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 6:55 pm

My gf's brother almost died riding his bicycle on a national road without a helmet, so on a much more powerful thing, I want him wearing a helmet cat
Back to top Go down
fhead
Commoner

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 2:11 am

i hate the stupid carpool lane laws. i treat it as a passing lane, because some inconsiderate jerks drive slow in the fast lane.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 3:50 am

fhead wrote:
i hate the stupid carpool lane laws. i treat it as a passing lane, because some inconsiderate jerks drive slow in the fast lane.

omfg, i cant stand people who drive like that, but i figured out why they do it.

they think going 65, is going FAST. so, they go into the FAST lane.

we need to call the lane what it is:

the passing lane.

and hope to hell these morons can take the hint.

pass, then get the fuck out of my way already!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
ArcaneJill
Admin
ArcaneJill

Character sheet

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 5:43 am

Trinity wrote:
Made me lol, literally!

Alright, found some in Ohio where I'm from:

• No person while operating a motor vehicle shall fail to slow down and stop said vehicle when signaled to do so upon meeting or overtaking a horse-drawn vehicle or person on horseback and to remain stationary until such vehicle or person has passed.

• Any map that does not have Lima clearly stated on the map cannot be sold. (Lima)

The first one I understand because there are some very large Amish populations in Ohio. Have to give them some protection on those back country roads.

But Lima? Really? That town is the armpit of Ohio (followed closely by Toledo lol).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stupid laws.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stupid laws....   Stupid laws.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Stupid laws....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next