AuthorMessage
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard
RK Profession: Blacksmith

Questions about DDO - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 12:56 am

Tod_Whitesnow wrote:
Hmm not sure at all where my Monks fits in

Maybe a kite as I can run very fast.

But I belive you can get a very high AC with Dex and Wis and items

Tod

Did someone say AC? Very Happy

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=205669
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 11:58 am

Carrying on from another thread, raising this question.

What is Shroud Etiquette?
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 1:39 pm

I may be off here, but I think I know what Shroud etiquette is. So here's my attempt at explaining.

The Shroud is split up into 4 parts and at the end of the first 3 parts there is a stone where you can craft your greensteel items. If you craft during a raid, basically you are making everyone else wait. If at the beginning of the raid people say you can craft, then it's ok, but that's only really if the leader wants to do it. When that's the case though, you can be pretty sure that you'll be down at least 2/3 people for the end fight which certainly makes things hard going!

Normally, people who are only in it for the crafting will not finish and will leave at the end of the 2nd or 3rd part.

The other thing to watch out for is at the very end. Often people will just run the shroud to get ingredients for their crafting. So they will finish the last fight against Harry and ask for a D door or recall, forfeiting the last 2 chests. So, don't be too quick to touch the altar after the fight, or those wanting out will get an unwanted completion.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 2:30 pm

A lot of what it comes down to is communication.

People who don't listen, don't ask, ect have a harder time finding groups later on.

Most of the time, people will ask if it's anyone's first time. Lot of times, really a lot, no one replies. So this means, or it should, that everyone in the raid knows certain things about it, and won't ruin it for the others.

I've had it happen many times that the group gets wiped on part 2 because someone new went to the middle. This could have been avoided if they just said 'hey im new, what do i need to expect?'

Then you have the puzzles in part 3. Sometimes new person gets to this part and says 'wth? im alone and i dont understand this puzzle!' so what do they do? Instead of asking, they break the crystal above their door to get out. Well, now the whole raid party just lost 2 chests. Had this happen a lot lately. Also, when people put water into puzzles that arent finished, there goes 2 chests everyone loses out chances to get +2 tomes and ingredients from.

Part 4 is pretty standard, but if you have a first time cleric or caster, they should know the mass heals go on the boss constantly and the gnolls have to be taken down in seconds by the casters (or the poor unfortunate ranger who is the last one alive hehe).

Part 5, is the scariest for me. This is because after the boss is beaten, many people like myself will sometimes NOT finish! This is so we can run it over again. Sure, we miss the end reward and the 2 end chests (which are really good chests!); but we can hop out of the quest and then run it right over again. If we complete, we can't run the raid for 3 days; we'll be on timer.

But the absolute worst, and this never happened to me thank god, would be if while people are ddooring out, someone touched the altar. Not only will you get a completion when you didnt want it, you will NOT get the last two chests. This is enough to piss people off at you forever. Smile

That said, its a lot of common sense. Ask if you don't know, don't run ahead, don't touch things if you don't know what they do. By the time you are level up enough to go shroud you should know all these things from regular questing, unless you like dying all the time. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
TheRedChef
Serf

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 3:53 pm

Ditto on communication. Especially in part 2, where you have to separate then kill four tough boss monsters within seconds of each other.
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 10:23 pm

Beth wrote:
Carrying on from another thread, raising this question.

What is Shroud Etiquette?

What the others said. Rolling Eyes

I'd also add that having voice chat enabled (if at least just to listen) is a must in all raids.

Also, it is generally not a good idea to summon pets in raids unless you ask first.

For example, if you summon a pet in the final part of the Shroud, Harry will fireball you before his part starts.

This is very bad (you usually die and so do the people around you) and it never fails to piss everyone off something fierce.

In ToD (Tower of Despair), if you summon a pet into the final fight you can get banished (better hope the pet dies quickly).

And the list goes on. However, in some raids (like VoD), pets help to take aggro off the group in certain parts (e.g. Elite Orthons).

So... if in doubt, don't summon a pet (and ask first before you do). Wink
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 1:30 am

Neat ! study
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:37 pm

if i bought wf, would i have unlimited use of the wf race or is it a single toon?
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 9:40 pm

all toons all servers unlimited
Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 22, 2010 10:12 pm

omg sweet xD
Back to top Go down
Likaios
Commoner
Likaios

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 1:22 am

scratch

How do I know if I gimped my pally? She's level 9 and it seems like she should be whacking stuff harder, but then I'm still really a newb, so could be totally wrong.
Back to top Go down
Tod_Whitesnow
Squire
Tod_Whitesnow

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 3:14 am

From what I have seen it is killing stuff fine, the trick is to have a nice selection of weapons for each particular nasty you are due to meet.

Tod
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 6:06 am

Kaireth wrote:
scratch

How do I know if I gimped my pally? She's level 9 and it seems like she should be whacking stuff harder, but then I'm still really a newb, so could be totally wrong.

post more about your build, and we can help Smile
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 6:06 am

p.s. is good to check now, because you can switch a feat now very cheaply, but later on it will cost a million plat Sad
Back to top Go down
Likaios
Commoner
Likaios

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:48 am

*Faints.*

Okay, more info on my build:

STR= 18 base, 3 enchanted (21 total)
DEX= 10 base
CON= 14 base, 3 enchanted (17 total)
INT= 8
WIS= 12 base
CHA= 14 base, 3 feat, 2 enchanted (19 total)

Bluff is at 8, diplomacy at 5, heal at 8, intimidate at 16. All other skills are under 5.

She has two handed fighting and improved two handed fighting. I've usually been using great axes for her, but I have a couple long swords I swap in as needed too. Her arsenal:
+4 Greataxe
+1 Flaming Greataxe of Tendon Slice 2%
Hellstroke Greataxe
+2 Greataxe of Pure Good
+2 True Law Longbow (Gonna try out a +3 Heavy Crossbow for kicks.)
Muckbane and +3 Heavy Wooden Shield
+2 Silver Greatsword
+1 Ghost Touch Greatsword

Armor and clothing:
+4 Full Plate
Blindness Ward Goggles
Underwater action helm of bluffing (bluff +3)
Bellow's Ring necklace (intimidate +5, +5 max health)
Voice of the Master
Charismatic Cloak (cha +2)
Proof Against Poison Belt
Health Ring (con +3)
Feather Falling Ring
Protector's Gloves (physical damage -1)
Sludge Fin Boots (swim +5)
Ogre Power Bracers (str +3)

Enhancements:
Action Boost: Attack (Pal attack boost I)
Faith: Basic Tenets (Follower of the Silver Flame)
Human Adaptability (Charisma I)
Human Versatility (I and II)
Item Defense I
Pal Aura of Good: Armor (Bulwark of Good I)
Pal Aura of Good: Saves (Resistance of Good I and II)
Pal Divine Righteousness I
Pal Divine Sacrifice I
Pal Exalted Smithing I
Pal Extra Lay on Hands I and II
Pal Extra Smite I and II
Skill: Heal (Improved Heal I, II, and III)
Skill: Intimidate (Improved Intimidate I)
Spell Points (Pal Energy of the Templar I)
Stat: Charisma (Pal Charisma I and II)
Turn Undead: Divine Light I
Turn Undead: Divine Might I
Turn Undead: Extra Turning I

LOL, this may be more info than you actually needed I suppose. ^^

(Tod, you and Zog were pretty much smokin everything before I hardly touched it last night. That's part of why I finally decided to ask about this.)
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 pm

idk, it looks pretty good to me, what kind of feats are you taking? you got the thf feats, do you have improved critical: slashing yet? there is also the dodge, mobility, spring attack line but not sure if it would make sense with your build (spring attack means no attack penalty when attacking while moving)
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:23 am

On Gilders, I'm pretty sure these are his feats:

Power Attack (turn it on every time you log in)
Two-handed Fighting (THF)
Improved THF
Greater THF
Improved Critical - Slashing (more crits for greatswords/greataxes and falchions)
Extend Spell (necessary to make Zeal and Divine Favor last that little bit longer)

(might be more, will check later)
Back to top Go down
Likaios
Commoner
Likaios

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 am

Started using Power Attack, thanks for the tip!

I still need Greater THF and Improved Critical Slashing it looks like.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Power attack is awesome - if you're not hitting anything though - turn it off (it takes -5 from your to-hit and adds it to damage, so sometimes this means that you can't hit shit). Laughing

Also it's a PITA because each time you login, the default for Power Attack is off so you have to remember to turn it on.
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 7:35 am

I have a question on spell resistance.

From what I read a monsters casting level is approx the same level as the quest, ie a level 1 quest will have level 1 Casters (CL1).
Spell penetration (SP)=( CL+Item enhancements+AP enhancements+feats), so assuming that monsters dont have those CL=SP. If you have a Spell Resistance(SR) of 15, then the caster would need to roll a 14 (SR15-SP1=14) or better on a d20 to have a successful spell (on spells that require SP) assuming you fail your save roll . So at low level it seems that having SR is a good thing, But at higher levels it seems that the spot where the item is could be used for something better.

The questions I have are
1. Is the assumptions correct
2. If you have a level 20 cleric (who can cast Spell resistance of 35) would it stack with your SR item
3. At what point would consider the SR item useless ( ie lets assume you are running a level 11 quest and have a SR15 item, would making the caster roll a 4 or better or is it better to put a more useful item in its spot.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 9:51 am

spell resistance wont stack, so if you have it cast on you its the highest number.

at higher levels, the cleric spell comes in handy. the drow race was recently updated i believe to have an inherent spell resistance.

in my experience, it is better to skip spell resistance items and invest into your saves. at high levels, a SR15 or SR19 just wont be noticeable against level 20+ mobs. a cleric casting SR35 on you is helpful, but against the most dangerous bosses it isnt 100% effective, or even 50%. is decent for trash caster but by no means a protection: caster will simply keep casting spells at you and sooner or later they will roll high enough to get you, everything rolls a 20 time to time. so even a SR100 (if possible) would still be bypassed 5% of the time. Wink

think about it this way. a 4 or better roll is an 80% chance (or better, some mobs are 'enhanced' and have their own bonuses to bypass your SR) it will bypass your SR. so 1 out of 5 spells are not getting through, if you think it is worth the slot then go for it.

remember as well, the only spells that require a bypass of spell resistance are spells that are typically ones with a save for their damage. for example, acid blast has no SR and no save; hold person has both SR and a save.

its up to you, but a resistance +5 item will save your life much more often than a SR item. if you have extra slots to keep SR is nice to have but is by no means a must have
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 10:12 am

I think this question came about because I was talking to Mihaly about the bonuses I would get if I had the full Lorinthor's set, one of which was SR 22. I think it can indeed be useful for Paladins because they get a lot of saves and have a fairly good SR. I'm not sure about other classes though.

I'd never actually realised what it was like to have spells cast on you all the time, because as a Paladin, I've been pretty spoilt. However, running around with Zog has taught me a lot as he is forever being stricken, hit with spells that put him out of action and feeling fear, etc. All these things Gilders appears to have been immune to, or manages to save against.

I read a guide once and it said that a Paladin's role in a group should always be to go straight for the casters because, with their saves, they can quite happily beat them down without too much damage being done to them (in comparison to other classes).

The Lorinthor's set is specifically aimed at Paladins really, as its main advantage includes extra damage to evil outsiders if you have the Knight of the Chalice (KotC) III enhancement (which most DPS Paladins do have) and so I'm guessing that the SR22 isn't there for no reason - hopefully it will help them to have even better saves against magic and make them more prepared for Epics and the like.
Back to top Go down
Seldomseen
Knight

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 11:22 am

yea it was because of me and gilders talking about his lorinthors....I started looking into the SR thing (also because the day before I ran a PUG and couldnt cast a few times, but could still move....forget the quest name), I have a belt of SR15 but picked up another belt in redfen, cant remember of the top of my head what it is, now resistance items available boots, belts, necklaces and trinkets are only available in named items....with ring and cloaks being unnamed, so I will have to see which would be better to look for and what i need to replace.

Thanks for the opinion
Back to top Go down
Likaios
Commoner
Likaios

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 1:47 pm

I should prolly know this already or be able to find the answer..... but I don't and I can't. Embarassed

What exactly determines your chances to hit something?
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Zogdor wrote:
The Lorinthor's set is specifically aimed at Paladins really, as its main advantage includes extra damage to evil outsiders

That's the only thing good about it - everything else sucks, imo.

Ring should be pure Charisma (+6 CHR and +1 CHR exceptional) so you can use Levik's bracers (+6 STR) for 20% healing amp without the STR redundancy.

Belt has +1 to AC on a DPS build??? SR 22 on a pally (already has great saves)??? Both are worthless. I'd trade them both in a heartbeat for greater false life.

Questions about DDO - Page 4 LorinthorsRing

Questions about DDO - Page 4 LorinthorsBelt

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions about DDO
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next