AuthorMessage
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Butcher

[Help] Role Playing 101  Empty
PostSubject: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 2:36 am

Just some 'Tips' and 'How to's' for those just beginning in their Role Playing journey.
Most importantly, Have Fun!

Role-play, definition:

(v.) To act and speak as if you are the character you're portraying. To roleplay is as much about what not to say as what TO say. It means to keep your speech in the context of the setting in which your character (or avatar) exists. Context can be defined as both time and place.

Most roleplaying that occurs is in an online setting, such as an online game, a chat room, or a message board.

~Urban Dictionary, link can be found, here.

Godmodding

#1 Thing NOT to do: Godmodding or also known as God-Mode or PG (Power Gaming), which is decribed as:

"God Modding" is in essence when someone’s character has the ability to do practically anything without limits or boundaries. And example is when they simply cannot be harmed by any and all means other RP-ers try.

-It can be killing or injuring a character without the player's express permission.
-It can be when they simply can’t be hit and dodge all attacks or anything for this matter aimed at them.
-It can also be using other characters that other people RP with. In other words, if you do not RP as
Legolas, then you cannot have Legolas say anything, or do anything, without the player's express permission.

The absolute worst is when they make out another character to be what they’re not, just to make their own character seem superior. They make others seem weak, screaming for help, when they’ve made it quite clear about their advantages and strengths. This is called power-play. It’s a strain of God-Modding, but instead of just being irritating, it’s offensive to boot.
This is a prime example of God Modding:

Player A: Punches Player B
Player B: Dodges attack, grabs Player A and throws him. Player A flies at Player B, who warps behind him and slashes Player A in the back.

~Urban Dictionary. Link can be found, here.

Your Journey Begins

Your Character:

1) Choosing your character.

In most games, you may have to work up the ladder to get certain titles and/or positions for your character, role-playing accordingly will determine what type of character you can choose. EX: Human-Noble, Peasant, Pirate/Thief, etc. Or a more sci-fi realm including, Elf, Orc, Dragon, etc. Animals can be role-played as well. Use your imagination, it's limitless!

2) Appearance: Keep in mind, or visualize what you're character will look like, which in turn when role-playing, can also help whoever you're role-playing with to determine how their character sees yours. EX: Color of hair? Is it curly, straight, un-ruly and/or wavy? Color of eyes? Height/Stature. Type of clothing, depending what type of game and/or era may choose this for you, but can add things such as: torn-stained clothing, worn, pristine and embroidered, etc.

3) Personality. What is your Characters motivations, emotional states, what makes them tick and come alive? Offering quirks, habits, or little oddities really make for interesting interactions.

4) Background. It's nice when first starting out to give your Character some type of background history, or a base line of direction. Basically explaining why your Character is the way he/she is. Also, something to keep in mind, is allowing your Character some type of weakness(es), difficulty, or conflict he/she has or could eventually overcome, giving them some depth. As a general rule of thumb, being dramatic is great, just try not to take it too over the top. Also, it really depends on the game you're playing which can sometimes set a type of background for you. If you're just looking for something brief and not some long drawn out background, providing information such as: Birthplace, at least one mystery, some type of adventure/quest, and trigger. Any type of craft or passion they have? Etc.

**Side note: One thing I would like to point out here as well is, as I see it happen all too often, is role-playing your character similar to yourself, your own wants/needs, characteristics or beliefs. I would NOT suggest doing this for many reasons. As you go along interacting with fellow rp'ers (role-player's) it can easily cause a downward unhealthy emotional spiral. As you do this some replies you may get from someone else or someone else's Character's views that are different and of a controversial topic could easily cause arguments/disagreements and even friction between you and another person whom you would otherwise get along with. So would firmly suggest to try your best and come up with a character that you can easily remove yourself from. Yes, we all get attached to our character's at one point or another, and that's ok, just remember when it goes to far to step back and take a breather Smile

Role-playing!

The following definitions are used by role-players to refer to certain aspects of a post or role-playing in general. Some guides that help in the writing process.

Setting: The place in which a role-play happens. Describing the scenery. EX: City, Wooded Area, Small/Large Town, Era, etc.

Scenario: A specific kind of role-play. There are many different scenarios you can role-play. EX: Medieval/Fantasy.

Description: In-depth description of a character, the depiction of objects, people and settings. Offering more details of the Setting, Characters, Weather, etc.

Commonly used Role-playing Abbreviations, for use as OOC only:

RP - Role-Play.

RPG - Role Playing Game.

PC - Player Character.

IC: In-Character; Describes when a Character is interacting in a storyline.

OOC: Out-of-Character; Describes when a Player is interacting as him/herself rather than his/her character. Usually denoted by using parentheses ( ).

BIC - Back-in-Character; Is only used when coming back into the role-play after making an Out-Of-Character comment.

MG - MetaGaming; Use of OOC information for IC use. Basically using information posted off another forum/in-game forum that is personal information of a player or something used that was specifically written OOC and turned around and used during Role-play. **Right up there with Godmodding, IMO. In almost all games where role-playing is involved this is either restricted by Admin. or highly frowned upon, especially with other players. The ONLY time I have ever seen this to be 'ok' is when a Player creates an 'ORP' thread and also creates an 'OOC' thread discussing that particular RP to include all those who are involved, for strategic purposes.

NPC: Non-player character, any character that is not controlled by a player. In some games however, NPC's can be created by players to use in the help of supporting a role play story. If an NPC can be freely used it's usually noted as 'Free to Use' by the creator.

ORP: Open Role Play, some thread titles may start out using this abbreviation which means that all are welcome to role play in this storyline.

CRP: Closed Role Play, in threads marked with this abbreviation it means that this thread is closed to the general role playing populace, meaning there is a general idea of where the story is going and only those asked by the Player who created this thread will be able to join. Doesn't mean you can't PM (private message) the Player/Creator of said thread asking if you can join. In turn said Player may ok your character's presence but may have you play a supporting role in their story line.

Char or Charry: Abbreviation for, Character. Character: Fictional person created by typist/Player.

Avi or Avatar: Picture or graphic used on message/forum boards depicting one's Character.

Bio: A Character's profile or background story.

DC: Detached-character, a character that is not considered permanent. Temporary use in a story line, may or could be dispatched at one point or another. Or used again in different settings/story lines.

1/6/2014 - Found this and felt it suiting to post here also, more by her can be found, here.:
Lorna Cowie wrote:
By Lorna Cowie

Online text games can be a wonderful method of escapism, but it is worth remembering that they are exactly that: text games. Immersing yourself in a text-based RPG or MUD is the point, to draw you in and let you live a fantasy life in a fantasy world and carve out a future for your characters... but sometimes it comes at a cost.

Through my years as an avid online text game player (many, I assure you!) I can say I have experienced and seen a multitude of things happen in the online gaming world, so here I give you an example of one of the easiest things that can happen in any online text game.

You become overly emotional at in-game actions OUTSIDE of the online text game.

This is more common than you think. You are playing a character that you have spent time levelling and creating a history for, and learning about the engaging text game world. Your character has a personality and a life, and perhaps also has family and friends. Then one or more of those friends causes your character to become angry, upset or sad. It is natural for you to personally feel this way also... but only to a limit. I will freely admit that I laugh, I cry, and I become frustrated and sometimes angry at what can and does happen to my characters. But it is crucial to be able to remember that it is only a game, so you can sit back, give a smile and say, "Now that was good roleplay!"

Often knowing when you are in too deep is hard to see, but ask yourself this. Do you log out of the text adventure games and after ten minutes away still feel angry about what happened in-game? Do you lose sleep over actions that have happened in an online text game? Are your friends contacting you out of character, asking you to calm down or reminding you 'it is only a game'? Are you taking in-game actions as a slight against you personally? If so, then perhaps it is time to sit back and take a good look at what is happening.

Becoming too emotionally involved is unhealthy. After hours and hours of gameplay and of channeling your character, it is often hard to distinguish between what is real and what is only role play, and things begin to hurt a little too much. Sitting back and allowing yourself a break can make a world of different. Go check out the world outside of the computer whilst letting your thoughts clear. Not dwelling on the issues in the text games will let you see things more clearly.

Allowing yourself some distance between you and your character in the online text game is not betraying your character in any way. It will not hate you; it can't, because (as you should be reminding yourself at this point anyway) the real world and the game world are completely separate things. You don't exist to your character, technically.

Knowing that you have become too emotionally involved in an online text game is nothing to be ashamed of... and being honest enough with yourself to recognize if it has happened to you is something to be proud of, as now you know and now you can do something about it.

Remember. It is just a game. It is an enjoyable, exciting, stimulating fantasy world of fun and adventure... but it is still just a game.

**Will update periodically**

Last edited by Trinity on Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 pm

My favourite quote on writing.

Jack Keating, Dead Poet's Society wrote:
So avoid using the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women - and, in that endeavour, laziness will not do. It also won’t do in your essays.
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Wonderful quote to add here J! Smile
Back to top Go down
Luffy1
Squire
Luffy1

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 3:57 pm

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women"

This man is now officially my hero. Like not the hero from "Hero"....you know? Like, like Herro Nakamura! Save the cheerleader; Save the world! But more like...superman kind of hero.

My cognizance of the situation might be limited or lacking thereby ensuing of my grammatical structuring, together with the essential meaning behind my utterances have come forth as decisively wanting at this present time...however I shall elaborate- When one discovers the epiphany that sparks the cognizant aurora of ones mind it is a truly beautiful and freeing experience; akin to the feeling of floating carefree on a cool, yet gentle current of a river during a midsummer afternoon.

Fin.
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Updated. Thanks Luffy for the input ^^ hehe
Back to top Go down
ahlia
Knight
ahlia

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Miller

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 6:41 am

Not sure where to share this but I thought I'd post here for yas. I sent a letter to TPB Hikenai (the lass that got me good in battle) to check her preferred method of killing me, but I then went and RPd it out anyway. She responded after I posted, then I told her I already RPd it and gave her a link, then asked if the godmod was okay.

She was really nice about it! Her response did make me smile, I'll admit. Just reminds me that not ALL the english TPB are insane - thought it'd be a good break from all the TPB 'Grace' talk.

Hikenai wrote:
Date : 07/01/1462 - 12:32:13
Titre : Re: well done!
Well done, indeed! Very Happy

You are one hell of a writer! Just read your death post in HH. I'll never be able to do Ahlia's death the justice your account did but I will try. I realize now your earlier letter was not to arrange a rp between Hik and Ahlia but rather for rp consistancy. That's cool.....Your account of their combat nearly hit every weapon! I was surprised Hik didn't poke Ahlia a time or two with her knife, as well, just to make sure she was dead. LOL, jk. But anyway. Thanks for portraying Hik in a cool way, she sure sounded badass! A bit of modding, but really I am not too concerned.

Again, drinks would be on Hik! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chyler
Citizen
Chyler

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 8:28 am

That's awesome. She took it rather well. I sent a message to my guy as well. Though I too already posted. So hopefully it will be okay. I attempted to not god mod until I know if its alright.
Back to top Go down
Trinity
Noble
Trinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Lengthy but cool read, history of text based rpg's etc. : http://voices.yahoo.com/the-development-variety-aols-online-text-based-473954.html
Back to top Go down
ahlia
Knight
ahlia

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 7:49 am

[Help] Role Playing 101  TodaysEnglishlessonAvoidingthewordvery-19579
Back to top Go down
Chyler
Citizen
Chyler

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks! This will be helpful!
Back to top Go down
Mysterie
Squire
Mysterie

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 pm

Reading this makes me super aware about my RP skills, or lack thereof. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chyler
Citizen
Chyler

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Myst your rp skills don't lack at all.
Back to top Go down
ahlia
Knight
ahlia

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 7:08 am

[Help] Role Playing 101  Illbereadynexttimesomebodycallsmeanastynameontheinternet-10607
Back to top Go down
kythera
Commoner
kythera

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 9:45 am

I always find this one entertaining Very Happy http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Help] Role Playing 101    [Help] Role Playing 101  Empty

Back to top Go down

[Help] Role Playing 101
Page 1 of 1