AuthorMessage
Aayla
Commoner
Aayla

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: None

On the bookshelf - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Currently reading:

The Universe in a Nutshell- Stephen Hawking
A Song of Ice and Fire- George R. R. Martin

Just finished:

Percy Jackson & the Olympians (the whole series) which was not surprisingly better than the movie.
Back to top Go down
Motherlucka
Knight
Motherlucka

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Just finished the last of the Patrick O'brian books. Really the best historical fiction I've ever read.
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Finished HP #7, I am now ready to watch part one of the last movie.

I am now in between books. I may read some non fiction that was recommended to me, I won't bore you with the details- let's just say it will make me more sane and leave it at that.

I am not too sure what I am in the mood for, fiction wise. I find if I just meander thru the library, I find fantastic books, serendipitously.
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Whiskey Distiller

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 am

Try "The Man who was Thursday" by G K Chesterton.

Very very good. Can't wait to see how it ends. Reminds me a lot of Evelyn Waugh.

Chesterton has had a bad rap, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
_Melissa.
Knight
_Melissa.

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 11:09 am

=))) Bought a hardback new book from the library for 50p again. They raised the prices, last time I bought one for 10p Surprised Now it is more for hardbacks than softbacks. So cheap I get book spending happy but hope to be a bookworm again soon, miss reading because I want to Sad So much relevant reading to do! Isn't too bad if I motivate myself to enjoy reading things other than I have to.

I sort of am getting used to somewhat even partly loving being in an area where most people aren't educated nor strive to be, it means I never go the local library anymore as it even has middle aged argumentative chavs and drunks. Usually books on sale are in pretty damn good condition, new and cheap as probably not many people read them. Last time I was sitting there in a suit waiting as I forgot my keys or something, was reading a book on Google Analytics and search algorithms.

Bought this, only 1 book and not a heap load to collect although it was tempting Embarassed http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/sea-of-poppies-by-amitav-ghosh-828944.html Can't wait to actually read it amongst every other book Smile Novels are usually around £5-10 hence the hyperness. Textbooks £40+ each, minimum slightly less than £30 heck if those were cheap and interesting it would be bliss as have only found one text book actually really fun to read Shocked

ZOMG it is a trilogy! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Poppies-Amitav-Ghosh/dp/071956896X
Back to top Go down
Magogh
Serf

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Chesterton's Ballad of Suicide is one of my fave poems ever. Yeah I like poetry Wink

Loving this thread though, restoring my faith in ya all. I love reading popular science, Hawking, Brian Greene, Dawkins, Pinkerton et al. Also love, love, love philosophy texts, existentialism and lefty stuff mostly, but as for novels it depends on my mood what my top picks would be but here's a few from today's in the moment list:

Stanislav Lem - Solaris
Ian M Banks Sci Fi stuff, love it all, but Consider Phlebas or Player of Games are great books.

Jan Martell - Life of Pi - just breathtaking
James Kelman - Swing Hammer Swing, A Dissaffection - What Camus woulda wrote if he lived in a Glasgow "scheme"(project).

"Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can't be sure.", what Camus did write as just the best opening line of anything ever, anywhere Very Happy Yeah I like "The Stranger" a lot, a lot.

New York Trilogy - Paul Auster

Jeb Rubenfeld - The Interpretation of Murder (Sigmund Freud and Karl Jung in New York wi murders going on, cracking stuff)

Oh!! I nearly forgot Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Oh man I love book chat so much Smile
Back to top Go down
_Melissa.
Knight
_Melissa.

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 10:20 pm

i feel bad as i hadn't read a book in ages like how i used to, procrastinated and used it as an escape mechanism. i swear not to read anything but textbooks and journals until i actually have time though, fun times, love books!

Very Happy amazing author, i now plan to read EVERY salman rushdie book there is. such a sad book and it really made me think, amazing english too. it blends east and west history/ culture, going really deep into it, with an infusion of falling in love and breaking apart. could relate to it well! also i loved the fact it challenges norms, i hate watching shitty bollywood, it really pisses me off because the plots are so daft and lack any rational meaning!!! the women in this book kickass and break norms Smile

anyone know any other political philosophy novels?
Back to top Go down
Toasti Jen
Noble
Toasti Jen

Character sheet
DDO character: Barbarian

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 2:15 pm

I started and finished The Hunger Games yesterday. I enjoyed it.

I got An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin (who I hope to marry one day, dangit!) for Christmas. Perhaps I will start that one.

I did pick up the new Anne Rice novel at the library. I have never gotten into her stuff. This new one is about angels. I may give it a whirl and try it out. I confess that I am not really in the mood though.

I finished Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez last week. It was very good. Fans of Christopher Moore will enjoy the goofball sensibility.
Back to top Go down
James
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Oh! I didn't see this thread before.

Last think i read was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. It was really good.

JRR Tolkien is great. The Hobbit is the best, TLOTR are awsome. I have the Similarion and The Children of Hurin, but they have more family trees than stories and read more like the bible than a novel.

Jack Whyte is probably my favourite author. He writes historical fictions but with his own take on them. The Dream of Eagle series starts from the withdrawal of the Roman legions from Britain and goes up to the crowning of King Arthur. Its a really good read. There is also the templar trilogy about the knights templar, another awesome read.

Ive read a lot of David Baldacci lately, his work is pretty good.

Dan Brown is alright. The stories aren't the deepest, but the facts are interesting and they are defiantly turn pagers. You have to admit he knows how to write twists and cliff hangers.

Non-fiction I have been reading the works of Senator Romeo Dallaire. Shake hands with the devil is a first hand account on the genocide in rwanda, and is a really show's how the UN (despite having troops in Rwanada) just stood by and did nothing while 800 thousand Rwandans were murdered. His new book "They fight like soldiers; They die like children" is really sad, but moving. Its disgusting that people can do things like getting 10 year olds high on a mixture of cociane and gunpower and then sending them to battle. Or that they send the new kids ahead first with no training in case there are mines and to absorb most of the bullets. Then the ones who survive the first battle are the ones that they view as worth training.
Back to top Go down
Devin
Citizen
Devin

Location : in a nice cabin bored out of my mind happy to be alive

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Wuthering Hights
Back to top Go down
Marshmellow
Serf
Marshmellow

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 4:59 pm

*high-fives devin*

Pride and Prejudice!
Back to top Go down
Elois
Noble
Elois

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 pm

So yeah, my lazy arse got more crackin on the Bible. As Piro and I said, it's a crazy book.

I got up to this part in Genesis, cuz I'm slow. Anyway, this part where Jacob has a daughter and the clan leader's son in the region rapes her. And then they have the nerve to ask her hand in marriage. So Jacob agrees to it, on the condition that every man in their clan become circumcised and their entire clan become Jews. Because the clan is sooo loyal, they agree to it. Then after their circumcized and all the soldiers are immobilized, Jacob's sons destroy the place, kill the soldiers and loot the town of its wealth and women.

Vigilante justice or what? I hope someone does that for me, even if on a smallscale, if I ever get raped.
Back to top Go down
Mikhaila
Knight
Mikhaila

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 7:33 pm

Speaking of the bible, any hear that they are redoing it? Apparently coming out with an "americanized" version that is a bit more politically correct o.O
Back to top Go down
Devin
Citizen
Devin

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Mikhaila wrote:
Speaking of the bible, any hear that they are redoing it? Apparently coming out with an "americanized" version that is a bit more politically correct o.O

there always trying to do that, the bible gives a warning about that in Revilations too.
Back to top Go down
Mikhaila
Knight
Mikhaila

Character sheet
DDO character: Cleric

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 8:19 pm

Yeah. Had a convo with hubby about this. He says that it happened ages ago too, they tried to get someone to change the original translations so they "meshed" with what the "old church" wanted. TBH I had enough religion crammed down me from birth to adulthood that I am wary of any "church". I just believe that no one can really tell anyone if they are or are not going to go to "hell" and that the bible in general is written by "men" so thereby foul able. But just MO.
Back to top Go down
Achilles_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 10:16 pm

Mikhaila wrote:

Something like,
“But whoever listens to me will dwell safely, and will be secure, without fear of russians.” (Reagan 1:33)

They do have a point though. I mean,

Quote :
Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions.

Ezekiel 23:19-20

Quote :
17: Thou hast also taken thy fair jewels of my gold and of my silver, which I had given thee, and madest to thyself images of men, and didst commit whoredom with them,

Same guy, 16:17

Speaking of translating the bible, we could never know how correct jerome translated the old testament. Hebrew wasn't his native language, and even the Hebrew spoken in his time was a bit different from the old testament's hebrew.
Back to top Go down
Elois
Noble
Elois

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 am

Yeah and I never knew that Protestants and Catholics use a different bible translation. The Catholics wrote a bible called Douay-Rheims, made in Douay and Rheims, France, respectively, translated from the Latin Vulgate. Today most Catholics, at least in the U.S., use the easier to read New American Bible. The Protestants had a Coverdale bible, I believe and then the King James version, with it being translated from Hebrew and Greek.

Laughing So there will always be the argument as to which is the better version. The Catholics have the deuterocanonical/apocryphal texts, so I'll look into that one.

But for ease, this is a good version:
http://www.thebricktestament.com/
Razz Warning, sometimes NSFW
Back to top Go down
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!
Zakku

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 2:17 pm

lol the bible has been edited and reedited by so many people its crazy to think about, anyone who thinks the the bible that they are reading today came to them verbatim from ye old days needs to brush up on their history as well Razz
Back to top Go down
Lordmatthew
Citizen

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 4:14 pm

I just piss off folks and tell them that the bible reminds of an hallucination trip.
Back to top Go down
Achilles_
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Zakku wrote:
lol the bible has been edited and reedited by so many people its crazy to think about, anyone who thinks the the bible that they are reading today came to them verbatim from ye old days needs to brush up on their history as well Razz

May I introduce you to the United States of America ? lol!
Back to top Go down
Elois
Noble
Elois

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Yeah, America is the onlyyy country that believes that. Okay. Razz
Back to top Go down
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!
Zakku

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 7:23 pm

Achilles wrote:
Zakku wrote:

May I introduce you to the United States of America ? lol!

May I introduce you to the United States of My Ass?
Back to top Go down
Devin
Citizen
Devin

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm

why do we even have to bring this up here to many conflicts that can lead to in game issues.
ive studied biblical preservation for 4 years and always have a Hebrew and greek bible to look into so i know this stuff very well and have a very defrent opinion.
but really there are so many Atheist and Christians in this game it an't worth starting debates and arguments on this stuff here.
Back to top Go down
Devin
Citizen
Devin

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 7:57 pm

ohh i read the Scarlet Pimpernel
Back to top Go down
Zakku
King of the Incinerator!
Zakku

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 1:54 am

Just go finished this great book called 'Arabian Sands" by Wilfred Thesiger, its about this englishman who traveled around the Arabian peninsular between 1946-49 with various Bedouin tribes. If you can track down a copy do so since its worth it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On the bookshelf   On the bookshelf - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

On the bookshelf
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All your Nachos are belong to us! :: General :: Off Topic-
Jump to: