AuthorMessage
Donnor
Knight
Donnor

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Carpenter

Questions about DDO - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:05 am

Don't feel bad Boris...I recently tried to reinstall DDO and it wont even do that, keeps giving me some fucking error about the download being interrupted...I gotta get my laptop fixed I guess Sad I miss DDO, and am stuck with friggin RK. *is desperate enough to just buy a new desktop PC*
Back to top Go down
Boris
Commoner
Boris

Character sheet
DDO character:
RK Profession: Whiskey Distiller

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 10:19 am

Its not easy having a good time. Some days, even smiling makes my face ache.

its an evil bastard world that conspires to stop the likes of you and me having fun, brother.

NIL CARBORUNDUM ILLEGITIMI

(don't let the bastards grind you down)
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet
DDO character: Ranger
RK Profession: Blacksmith

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 am

Boris wrote:
I'm losing faith with Turbine. I tried to create an account numerous times, and no dice. I spent an evening a week ago trying to buy stuff, and it wouldn't let me do that either.

I shall persist.

what happened?
Back to top Go down
http://www.nngo.biz
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 am

you were playing earlier today tho?
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 5:55 am

Donnor wrote:
Don't feel bad Boris...I recently tried to reinstall DDO and it wont even do that, keeps giving me some fucking error about the download being interrupted...I gotta get my laptop fixed I guess Sad I miss DDO, and am stuck with friggin RK. *is desperate enough to just buy a new desktop PC*

go to control panel, uninstall doo, uninstall pando media booster, then click to download complete version, allow pando media booster to install again.

you can uninstall pando after you successfully install ddo
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 5:56 am

to make a forum account use the same log in and password as your in game account. that is your forum name.
Back to top Go down
Donnor
Knight
Donnor

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 9:33 am

Woot! Installation is complete...I'll try jumping on a bit later today...have a busy morning so I wont be able to fully focus...thanks for the help bro Wink
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:10 pm

np Wink
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet
DDO character: Fighter
RK Profession: None

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:39 pm

Been reading a bit more things on the ddo forum including a thread where people were arguing over the rules regarding loot on raids and whether everyone can roll for loot not wanted ...

Putting that argument to one side, how does one 'roll' for loot? Is there a dice on ddo that can be used? Do people leave the loot in the chest and then when someone 'wins' it, take it out of the chest and do a trade with them?
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet
DDO character: Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Rolling usually means that the highest roll out of 100 wins. If there is a tie, then you re-roll.

Type /roll d100 in party chat and it will roll a number between 1 and 100.

My opinion is that your loot is your loot to do with as you please.

With TR-ing and bound to account loot, it makes the line even fuzzier - however, it sucks to see a nice caster item go to a fighter - lol.

There are 4 types of loot:

Can pull out of chest and trade/sell:
1. Non-bound - can trade/sell etc.
2. Binds on equip (BOE) - you can trade it and sell it BUT the moment you equip it, it binds to you (and then you can't trade/sell it).

Can't pull out of chest and then trade/sell (must trade in chest in the raid):
3. Bound to account (BTA) - once you pull it out of the chest it binds to your account - you can trade it only among your other toons.
4. Bound to character (BTC) - once you pull it out of the chest it binds to your toon - you can NOT trade it among your other toons.

BTA and BTC raid loot has to be switched in the chest to give it to a different person.

If you pull BTA and BTC loot out of the chest, it binds to you and then you can't trade it anymore.

You can't sell BTA and BTC loot on the AH, but sometimes people will offer you money or something to have you switch it to them.

Hint: I always check to see if the person is actually still in the raid (i.e. if I can see them) before switching the loot to them.

The reason - you can't get back into a raid once you leave (but you can get back into a quest).

This a problem because some people roll on stuff just to roll and then leave the raid, which is totally uncool.

It totally sucks to see a pair of Madstone boots left in the chest that has been switched and unclaimed because the person split.

Basically means that nobody can loot it.

However, if you are in a quest (non-raid) like the Weapons Shipment and someone leaves a bound item in the chest, they can come back in and retrieve it as long as someone is still inside (happened last night in a run I was on).

Last edited by Dee_Snider on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:24 pm

haha someone left an arrowhead
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks Dee =)

And another newb question, how do you switch loot while it is in the chest?
Back to top Go down
Zogdor
Squire

Character sheet
DDO character: Paladin
RK Profession: Weaver

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:36 pm

on the right side of the item you'll see an arrow pointing down - click on that and it'll give you the option to choose who to give it to.

I have a question. What can you wear on your eyes apart from goggles? Just so I can make it easier to search for stuff on the AH.
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Beth wrote:
Thanks Dee =)

And another newb question, how do you switch loot while it is in the chest?

Updated previous post.

Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:41 pm

just goggles, i think there are a couple named items that equip there but all in all you search for goggles at ah

first try i got these i was so happy today:

Questions about DDO - Page 3 TharnesGoggles
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Zogdor wrote:
on the right side of the item you'll see an arrow pointing down - click on that and it'll give you the option to choose who to give it to.

I have a question. What can you wear on your eyes apart from goggles? Just so I can make it easier to search for stuff on the AH.

All items that fit into the eye slot are all listed under the same tab (one place) in the AH.

Grats Anto!

The best goggles come from raid loot as shown above. Rolling Eyes

Tharnes are probably the best melee eyewear item in the game next to custom GS goggles.
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Nice goggles =)

Thanks for the answers, guys ^^
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 2:21 am

Question. I'm starting to pick up what various terms mean in ddo through reading the forums and chat, but you know what it's like. You hear a word used in a particular context and assume a meaning but sometimes you're off the mark. If anyone can give me solid definitions of the following words so I can see if I'm off the mark, with examples, that would be great.

Tanking
Kiting
Crowd Control
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 2:33 am

Check this thread out... http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=193439

Tanking
= a melee with a lot of HP and/or AC who takes the blows so others don't have to. Tanks are used to hold aggro (the attention of the enemy) while other party members attack the enemy, usually from behind. A Warforged tank is sometimes preferred because they can be healed while cursed (whereas fleshy tanks have to have their curses removed first before healing, requiring two steps instead of one).

Kiting = basically running enemies around hell's half acre after getting their aggro, like pulling a kite (rangers are famous for this). Can help to take danger away while the party is fulfilling some other objective without investing the HP and heals in killing enemies outright.

Crowd Control = anything that slows down enemies. Examples would be cloudkill, web, hold monster, disco balls (dancing), etc.
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 5:18 am

To be more specific:

Tanking: Dee is pretty much spot on with this, most instances you need someone to tank is against a boss or against tough mobs. The term 'intimi-tank' in basic is a tank with a high intimidation skill. This person clicks the intimidate button on their hotbar, and if their skill is high enough it pulls aggro to them. Better to have the mobs fighting the tanks with high AC and HP, than to be meleeing with casters and healers. Wink

Kiting: A ranger specialty almost, a lot of casters do it as well. You can get a lot of grief from other players over it, if not done properly. In other words, if you shoot something, and it starts to chase you (meaning you have aggro), and you run away from it, or in circles ect; you are kiting. The grief comes in when you are running from the monster, and making it too hard for the melee to catch the monster. Its a good idea, once you notice that a melee is chasing the monster you are running from, to stop and shoot it in its face point blank if you have to; but let the melee get their swings on it. Otherwise, sometimes they will give up chasing after you and the mobs you aggro, with good reason. As a lvl 20 ranger I'm an expert at kiting, what i do is usually run them in a small backwards circle, so melee can always get swings. Smile

Crowd control: Think of some quests in which a part, 20 enemies spawn at once. Its too much to handle with outright melee/nuking; so crowd control comes in. Your basic crowd control is spell casting things like hold person (mass or single), dance balls, even charm. Bards use fascinate with song; but basically what it does is enable people to focus their attacks on 1 or 2 enemies at a time, even if their are 20 enemies in the room. This is an absolute MUST in epic quests, where even the friggen kobolds are level 30 and have 10,000 hit points. Some forms of CC, like hold person, grant automatic critical hits by any melee who hit them. Wink

And since I mentioned it,

Nuking: Is basically a caster spell that can obliterate enemies, usually very costly on spell points. Disintegrate, and even things like fireball, acid blast work very well as nuking spells.
Back to top Go down
Beth
Squire
Beth

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 5:28 am

Thanks Dee ^^ Confirmed what I thought they meant =)

Got to say, I see some people 'kite' but damn, you're watching their red bar go down fast and you're trying to chase after them to kill the mob, but it's tough with the attack bonus lessened as you're trying to hit on the run.

Modify: And laughing, Anto, as you then expanded on my original reaction to Dee's explanation of kiting. Too much bother sometimes to chase the kiter!

Back to top Go down
Aidan
Noble
Aidan

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 am

Dont think ive ever seen a tank as a caster Question Sad
Back to top Go down
anto_capone
Royal
anto_capone

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 12:18 pm

tanks are 95% melee specified characters. my ranger is not a tank. most rangers arent.

there are some builds that can/do tank, of ANY class. rogues, clerics, ect; but these are not your typical builds and are probably not good for PUGS expecting a rogue that can actually do traps or a cleric who can actually heal.

look at dee's sorc build, they arent common, but melee sorcs are around and very powerful Wink

that said, with the right gear and build, and the right player, ANY character can be anything they want.

my wizard wont be doing melee (at all). he is a crowd control / nuker and he can kick some ass Smile
Back to top Go down
Dee_Snider
Knight
Dee_Snider

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Some other types of tanks:

Hate tanks - who have certain enhancements, feats, or items to increase hate, which draws aggro. Hate can also be generated by dealing the most damage to the enemy to establish aggro.

AC tanks - just as the name suggests. Their AC is so high that they only get hit on a natural 20.

Intimitanks - just as Anto had described. They are AC tanks but they can shieldblock (or weapon block) the entire time without the need to DPS or having hate enhancements to hold aggro - they just intimidate. Shieldblocking reduces getting cursed, but if you are Warforged, you don't need to worry about curses if a caster is reconstructing you (the recon spell only works on WF, is different than fleshy healing, and goes straight through curses where normal healing requires the curse to be removed first). It's actually better if you melee while intimitanking as a WF if your AC is high enough, IMO (boss dies quicker and you generate hate). However, there are certain instances where you just want to hold aggro by intimidating until some other objective is completed (like tanking the puppies in the Hound before they are charmed - just make sure to take off all your nasty guards first or your guards will injure/kill them lol). You need your intimidate skill at least in the 60s to effectively intimitank bosses on normal (higher on hard and elite). Intimidate got messed with a little in Update 7, so I don't recommend relying too heavily on intimidation against pit bosses unless you have an insanely high intimidate skill.

All tanks are susceptible to disintegrate rays and other nasty spells bosses throw out (200+ hp damage), so having high HP is a plus/must for all tanks.

Back to top Go down
Tod_Whitesnow
Squire
Tod_Whitesnow

Character sheet
DDO character:

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 3:40 am

Hmm not sure at all where my Monks fits in

Maybe a kite as I can run very fast.

But I belive you can get a very high AC with Dex and Wis and items

Tod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about DDO   Questions about DDO - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Questions about DDO
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next